Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2010 Revelations & brake judder. Scrap/ repair/ replace them…?
  • Poopscoop

The forks have had a pretty easy life from the look of them, came fitted to a Marin Attack Trail I bought secondhand. Both the bike and forks are immaculate. But…. the forks dropouts judder back and forth visibly whilst braking. This can make for some “interesting” handling on occasion!

Checked the usual, headset, brakes (fitted new SRAM DB5’s, really good so far),rotor,front wheel. Seems no problem there…. after swapping all over to some old Avids and a spare front wheel just to be certain. Still does the same.

There is definite play in the fork bushing on the side where brake is mounted though. Strangely, other side has no play. Guessing the braking forces have taken their toll. Other than the play, the forks work and look great. Need dampingg tuned a bit for my weight though but will come back to that…

Now, I can send the forks away to TFT or Loco (though never used Loco before, any good?) or scrap the forks and get some secondhand, but much newer model year Pikes/ Revs.

Thing is, kitted up im about 15 1/2 stone…. so if I sent the forks away for a service/ bushing replacement I could also get them tuned for my weight at same time. They dive/ compress far too easily for my liking.

If I get some new (to me anyway) Pikes/ Revs, they would also need some tuning love to get them better suited to my weight too… so starts to get expensive.

Financially I might be better having my old Revelations repaired and tuned but the thought of getting some RCT3’s is a little tempting over the “ye olde” Motion Control setup I currently have. Not sure if I would notice the difference though. Im not a good technical rider, I just prefer to plough through stuff and hope for the best!

Any thoughts? Is it worth splurging out for newer forks only to have to send them away to be tuned for my weight?

Also, how much do TFT/ Loco charge, ballpark figure, for tuning a forks damping to suit a riders weight better? Will call tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone has had similar done?

As always, thanks for any opinions and info given guys.

Northwind

I really like my ’10 Rev Teams but I wouldn’t spend much to keep them going these days, and that’s even without thoughts of retuning. You could maybe pick up a set of lowers off a rev or sektor and just swap ’em… But then no guarantee used lowers will have good bushings either.

Loco is very good btw.

Poopscoop

Thanks for comments mate.

A dilemma indeed.

Anyone got an idea of how much TFT or Loco charge (roughly) for actual RS fork tuning?

damascus
    Free Member

What rotor is it? Is it a fancy wave lightweight one? If it is, replace it with a pizza/round disc and then see if that reduces the shuddering

Poopscoop

Has same problem with the DB5 Centerline rotor and an Avid g3 clean sweep type. Cant but help think its the play in the bush thats the problem.

When wedging a finger between fork arch and stanchion then rocking fork I can feel/ hear the play on the brake side leg.

Poopscoop

Been googling and was stunned at how cheap you can get 2016 Sektors for new.

Could get a Sektor and have it tuned by TFT? Loco and still be at a reasonable cost layout.

Looking at the solo air RL.

Not an upgrade from my dual air 2010 Revs, but they would be new and seem to have good reviews?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Mine did the same thing when I put on an Aztec wavy rotor, killed them in a week of riding in Scotland, I know they were previously fine as i’d just serviced them

Poopscoop

Jeez,

Really?

That said, the SRAM centreline rotors are pretty even in total pad contact area at any one point in the rotation. It’s just the part of the pad in contact during rotation that changes so as to clean them.

Shame about these forks as cosmetically they are near mint. The internals obviously aren’t though…

Poopscoop

Ended up getting some second-hand 2014 RCT3 Pikes.

Though the Sektors were a real temptation I must admit.

Suggsey
    Free Member

At least it’s not only me that’s eating bushes in the Revs…..I’ve got some 2009 U-Turns Dual Air and whilst the samurai seals etc that was originally fitted when they were ‘ push’ and tuned lasted quire well, the last service/rebuild lasted about 6 months before brake flutter made me retire them from use and resort back to bigger stationed Marazocchi Bombers. Heavier and less controlled than the Tevs but stronger built for the punishment I obviously give them on the bike they were on. Got some Fox 36s on the full suss and font get the flutter issue with them either.

mikeyp

I have a similar problem which turned out to be the centre lock rotor pins being loose. A bad design from Shimano

Poopscoop

Yeah, I came across the shimano rotor issue whilst googling this problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2010 Revelations & brake judder. Scrap/ repair/ replace them…?’ is closed to new replies.