Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 2010 Revelation Race Maxle vs Pikes
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Merlin have a great deal on Revelation U-Turns at the moment, so much so that I'm hovering over the "buy" icon.

My Marin Quad 140 currently has Pike airs fitted (due a service next week!), which fit the bill nicely.

Should I?

ojom
    Free Member

Seeing as they are cheaper than my trade price it makes a lot of sense. Great fork.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Are they Pike stiff?

Vortexracing

I swapped from a Pushed pike to the u turn teams (2010) and TBH the damping is exactly the same, the difference is 3/4 lbs in weight.

I would have thought the Race and a std Pike would be comparable.

They do look skinny compared to pikes though, that said I have not really noticed much difference in stiffness between the two.

ojom
    Free Member

Cant say i have ever noticed them being not stiff as my Pikes. Our ASR5 has some on it and they work real nice.

They are as stiff as they need to be for their intended use i would say.

ton

they are as stiff as pikes
    cos they are really pikes……… 8)

had them both, both are great.

Vortexracing

2010 ones are a different lower and crown Ton, they are MUCH skinnier

Jamie
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

@Jamie

We are.

Vortexracing

**** me they are cheap

Russell96

Just swopped to a pair of them replacing a pair of air U-Turn Pikes on my Hemlock, First test ride today and I didn't feel any difference at all, apart from the front wheel being slightly easier to lift up which I guess is down to them being a fair bit lighter.

ton

quick heads up for any of you blokes who are gonna bu a set of these forks…and have a set of long steerer pike airs for sale.

i am your man 8)

PJM1974
    Free Member

@ton

The Pikes are destined for my Spesh Enduro… Sorry guv!

Grimy
    Free Member

I've been after a set of revs for a while, been watching the prices etc as you do for months. Saw these from merlin on friday night and just slammed the buy now button. U-turn maxle lite 150mm 2010 revs for little over £300….why havnt you bought two sets already? 8)

Jamesy
    Free Member

there's two sets of revs on merlin , I'm looking at getting them for a cove handjob should I get the uturns or just stick to the none uturns ? they seem only to go to 130 mm tho and not 120 mm. confused ha

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends… For the sake of twenty notes, I'd go for the U-turns but then I do frequently drop the front of my full suss for climbs. On a hardtail it isn't as important.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have had to force myself away from the buy button….if only i hadn't got my Coil 454s serviced a couple of months ago i would have pulled the trigger.

*puts revs on wishlist along with cove handjob frame*

Jamesy
    Free Member

I'm wondering why the none uturns can only be set to 130 m m tho and the uturn ones go down to 120 m m ? but I suppose 10mm difference is nothing as the handjob takes up to 130 m m ?

Jamesy
    Free Member

snap Jamie 🙂 BTW what size handjob u looking at ? I'm 6ft 1 " and I'm thinking 19.5 as the 17.5 may be a little small, but then the 19.5 too big ?

Northwind

Those Races definately will not be as stiff as Pikes, they're not even as stiff as last year's Revelations. But they're still ace. I think the slight element of flex could put some people off, but they're hardly bendy forks, just not quite up to the stiffness of a Pike. Doesn't make any difference to me at all though really.

mboy
    Free Member

I'm wondering why the none uturns can only be set to 130 m m tho and the uturn ones go down to 120 m m ?

If they're anything like the air spring setup in older Revelations and Reba's (which I expect they are) you can set them anywhere between ZERO travel and full travel, dependent on the number of spacers you fit. You may well need to buy the spacers separately though… For instance, many Tora's and Recon's come set at 80mm of travel, but with 50mm of spacers inside!

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

WOW just got these orded ..
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi-and-rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-revelation-race-dual-air-maxle-lite.html

Had a pair of 09s Loved them & sold them on with my Trek EX9
    BIG mistake should have horded them LOL…

Wally

Hello Merlin (price jumped up £40 overnight)

daveagiles
    Free Member

Prices are still the same as far as I can see…

Wally

Whoops , my mistake.

barney
    Free Member

Ton, you've got mail 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamesy – Member
    snap Jamie BTW what size handjob u looking at ? I'm 6ft 1 " and I'm thinking 19.5 as the 17.5 may be a little small, but then the 19.5 too big ?

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

In a similar situation between sizes mate, I'm a dwarf like 5'7" so thinking 15.5" or 17.5".

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

grrrrr, if the clutch release bearing hadnt just gone in the midget (£300 bill to get at a £14.50 part) I'd have 'em!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

got the none maxle version (blimey it is light for a 140mm fork) a week or 2 ago and they were still throwing in free RF Deus XC headsets too, despite not publicising the "offer". I actually emailed em in case it was an error and they said it was an old offer that had expired, then they discovered how much headset stock they had left so theyve kept sending them out.

kamina
    Free Member

Are they Pike stiff?

Pikes are not very stiff.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My new Revelations arrived on Thursday and were fitted to my Marin Rock Springs by Thursday afternoon…

…so today I took them for a shakedown thrash around Bedgebury and am very impressed indeed.

They're certainly not the same axle to crown height as my Pikes, being fractionally taller. This however hasn't adversely affected my Marin's handling although I wouldn't want to go much taller at the front.

Damping wise, they didn't miss a beat. I certainly didn't feel that front end stiffness was lacking in any way.

They're really very good. Time will tell if they're Pike good – I loved my Pikes for their reliability and ease of setup, but the initial impressions are very favourable. As for my Pikes (2006 vintage Dual Air U-turns), they've been relegated to front end duty on my Spesh Enduro.

All I need now is a resonably priced set of wheels with a 20mm bolt through, a new cassette/chain and some cables and my Enduro will live again.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Oh and to add to that, Merlin sent me a cartridge bearing headset (very nice it was too – destined for the missus's Merlin Malt) and two 10mm spacers were included in the packaging. All that was missing was a shock pump, although that came FOC with my 2006 Pikes.

My only real grumble is that the maxle was incredibly stiff to engage. There seems to be a clearance issue between the hub and the dropout which may or may not need sorting with a file.

jimmy

bought a pair for my ASR-5 and / or handjob. Seems like a bargain, haven't ridden em yet though.

jimmy

Oh, if anyone would prefer Pike 426 Brand new, I'm your man (200mm steerer, Ton 🙁 )

mikertroid
    Free Member

How do these compare to Fox Float FIT RLCs ('10)?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just dusted out copies of WMb and MBR and have my answer; will stick with my Floats!!

Grimy
    Free Member

Mine arrived on Wednesday, ordered the 150 rev U-turns with maxle. Been out on the bike today for a good ride and I have to say there bloody fantastic! Very Very happy with them indeed.

mikertroid, I tried a pair of new 2010 fox floats on my mates bike today back to back with these, and I agree, theres no comparable difference, so no, probably not worth changing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘2010 Revelation Race Maxle vs Pikes’ is closed to new replies.