Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 2010 Orange 5 vs 2010 Meta 55
  • neninja
    Free Member

I'm planning on changing my Teocali Super frame for one of these.

I know the Orange 5 seems to be very popular and gets great reviews but the Meta is pretty tempting too.

What are the pros and cons of each bike and what would you go for?

The frame will be fitted with Fox Float 140 fork.

si-wilson
    Free Member

The Orange frames are better made IMO and work very well.

How about a Chumba VF2? Similar travel to the orange but is a 4 bar frame design and has a carbon rear swingarm.

neninja
    Free Member

The Chumba would certainly be an option if the price was right.

The Orange frame is a nearly new 2010 one and the Meta is a brand new 2010 frame and comes with a headset and Thomson post.

The Chumba would need to be no more than £800 and small size so I'm guessing that rules it out.

neninja
    Free Member

Are there any owners of either bike who can give a bit of feedback on their rides?

Whitesnake
    Free Member

I have had a Meta 55 Team for about 10 weeks now and use it for evening bridle path rides with the wife, all day hacks, mad runs round Cannock and Bedgebury and I am off the peak district at the week end. I absolutely love the supple suspension and the ability lock it all off for out of the saddle climbs which it does perfectly. I am a heavy rider and it soaks everything up do to it and I cant fault it. I have no regrets in choosing it over the lapiere I also tried but cannot comment against the Orange.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So if the Orange is nearly new does that mean it's not new and therefore doesn't come with a warranty?

If they were both similar price and both fitted me but one had a warranty and the other didn't then I would be more inclined to choose the one with warranty.

retro83
    Free Member

They're both good, which do you prefer the look of ?

neninja
    Free Member

The Orange is like new but no warranty.

The Meta has a 3 year warranty and is about £50 more but comes with a headset and Thomson post. Plus the Meta has a 31.6mm post so I will be able to use the IS900i dropper seatpost from the Teocali and sell the Thomson or keep it as a spare. All the issues with 2009 frames though means a slight lack of confidence in the longevity of their frames.

I love the look of the Orange, it's simplicity and the fact is comes with an RP23 plus it'll be a bit lighter. I'd to fit a new rear hub my wheel to take the maxle.

The warranty with the Meta is a bonus and the dealer selling it will build it up for me so I can be lazy.

Lifer
    Free Member

I have an older (2008) Meta and love it, had a Spesh Enduro Elite (2006) before and prefer the Commie.

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

I have an Orange Alpine so cannot comment on the 5 specifically but I think you will struggle to find an Orange owner who doesn't love their bike. Personally I wouldn't be worried about the lack of warrenty, their frames are bomb proof, that's why we ride them. Maybe get a good bike shop to look it over before you purchase?

I also think the 5 may last you longer in ability in so much as they are highly upgradable as the frame is so solid. Not for nothing do they win so many tests and awards!

neninja
    Free Member

My heart say the Orange and my head says the Meta

I hate making decisions. I'm so much better at procrastinating.

grantway
    Free Member

Well the cons of the Meta 5 was that they fell apart
    but have been beefed up whilst the Orange 5 is lighter
    and can take more abuse and been update.
    So go for the Orange 5

Has far as I know they have/are extending the warranty to 5 years
    on the Orange 5

Artillerydave
    Free Member

If the Commonfail, I mean Commencal comes with the warranty I'm sure you'll get to use it……..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah go for the Orange and put a Cane Creek on it. Bob's your uncle you've got a DH/Trail bike all in one.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The Orange is like new but no warranty. The Meta has a 3 year warranty

All the issues with 2009 frames though means a slight lack of confidence in the longevity of their frames.

madison have proved to be very good with warranty returns on comencals, orange are not so apparently.

I had an 08 meta and my bro & good mate have fives. I don't think you'll be disapointed with either. go for the one in the best colour.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Get more for your money with the commencal. I've never ridden a Five so can't comment on performance but they seem overpriced to me.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I took a Meta 5 carbon to the Alps this year and at no point did I feel that this bike was out of its depth, all the issues they had a couple of years ago have been addressed from what I understand. You'll not be disappointed with a Meta 5 IMO

Stinky-Pete
    Free Member

Use you head not your heart.
    You love your bike but you can't shag it.
    Ride them both and decide which one feels right.
    Also what type if riding do you intend to do?

Northwind

Oranges break just like any other bike, seen one crack through the BB shell myself and no broken Metas (though possibly because they've all already broken, don't see many around now :mrgreen:) And I know of another one that snapped its headtube off, and another that broke a shock mount, none of them ridden by nutters. Don't buy the hype about being indestructible, they're great bikes, ride brilliant and they're tough as old boots but they break like everything else.

JohnnyPanic

The Orange is like new but no warranty. The Meta has a 3 year warranty

Standard manufacturers warranty on the Meta is 2 years, not 3.
    2010 Meta's are proving to be a lot more reliable than the 2009's (I have a 2009).

I'd to fit a new rear hub my wheel to take the maxle.

Meta's also benefit if you fit a maxle, the beauty is that you can do this on the Meta with a change of dropouts rather than a change of swingarm.

We can't tell you which is better, you should demo them both.
    Meta felt better to me. Others prefer the Orange so try before you buy.

andyl46
    Free Member

Small you say? Meta you say? this might be tempting if you can stretch your budget a little…

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m24b58s26p2330

JohnnyPanic

andyl46 – I saw that too.
    Mighty tempted, I ride a medium but I'm only 5'6" so a small would also suit.

Forgot to add before, If you want to fit 160mm forks then has to be the Orange as Meta's only warranted to 150mm, if that bothers you.

neninja
    Free Member

andyl46 – that is mighty tempting.

Having seen a 2 week old carbon Super 4 frame in 3 pieces on the floor of a Commencal dealer on Thursday I’m a little unsure though.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I had a 2009 meta, it lasted 2 months and then broke. I believe the problems have been sorted out now all though from what i have seen they are still not up to scratch in terms of quality, for example the paint.

I took mine back and the dealer supplied me with a 2010 orange five, having ridden this since around September last year i can safely say it’s the best bike i have ridden. Every other friends bike i have tried since has felt no where near as nice to ride. The orange is very very comfy and confidence inspiring. It’s nice just having the one set of bearings to worry about too.
    With regards to their reliability and the warranty situation…i wouldn’t worry to much. I use mine for everything, i’ve got it set up with dual ring, chain guide and bash and it’s good for anything from a trail centre to dh course.

To put it simply…I haven’t considered another frame since owning it. It’s just fun to ride!

Hugh

JohnnyPanic

Some people are Orange, some are not.
    What did you think of the Meta before it broke? I would say the same as you but about the Meta, not the Orange. And I have ridden an Orange Five.

And about the bearings – the smaller bearings in the Meta are easy to replace, the main pivot bearings can be pigs to remove & install though. 🙁 So I get the LBS to do them. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Not owned either but had a go on both.

Liked them both a lot, but would probably go for the Five just because it was so much fun on the downhill bits.

I think the 2010 Meta might have got a bit shorter. I know my friend said his warranty replacement frame didn’t fit as well as the old one.

Am sure you’ll try before you buy though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I rode a Meta 6 for a bit and own a Five. The Meta’s suspension action is definitely plusher and it seems to climb better, but as an out-and-out fun bike I’d go for the Five every time.

ssnowman
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2010 Meta 55 and absolutely love it. The frame & suspension work really well together, I’ve given it a lot of abuse on the trails this year & the frame seems fine.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘2010 Orange 5 vs 2010 Meta 55’ is closed to new replies.