Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2010 MacBook Pro logic board dead-now what?
  • TomB

I know a next to nowt about IT, but our family laptop has just died, and I could use some advice, please!

I’ve always liked mac computers, having had an original macintosh in the house in my youth. As a grown up I’ve had an iBook (died) and now a mac book pro which is out of warranty / apple care, and needs a £500 repair to make it work. Starting to wonder if I can justify spending again on the nice looking, slick OS and ease of use of a mac (probably would go for a new iMac rather than fix the laptop). Should we just get a cheap dell instead? We use the computer for the usual internet/ word/ excel/ photos/ music home stuff, and have no need for fancy pants extras really. Kids are 6 and 4 but will be increasingly using the home computer for homework etc as they get older. We have an iPad and don’t now need the portability of a laptop.

What should we do? Any help/guidance gratefully received! Is windows still awful?

cranberry
    Free Member

You might want to upgrade to a nice, reliable Windows computer.

🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Chromebook may be an option:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/basic-pc-for-kids-homework
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chromebook-1

I’m certainly very happy with mine (HP 14, £250)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brassneck

You’ll get a decent desktop with Win 7 (really wouldn’t go 8, having used it for some time and really tried to like it) for less than the £500 repair bill, or a Mac Mini (maybe a bit more for mouse keyboard monitor, and get 8Gb RAM it covers for the tardy default HDD). Or 2nd hand iMac?
    Your own mac would make copying your data to the new PC easier, just get the hdd out of the defunct one and get a caddy for it, import your user during start and away you go.

danrandon
    Free Member

mac mini? which model of mac book pro is it, i can sometimes find a used logic board

TomB

I’ve got a guy retrieving the HDD from the macbook at the minute, so hopefully should still be able to use the data.

kcal

iMacs are very nice. could even go second hand if you don’t need this year’s model.

certainly if kids are going to be using computer, anything laptop like with risk of spillage — wouldn’t be spending big cash. But if you have iPad already, then things will co-operate better..

only hiccup being that kids will get materials home on disks or sticks, or will submit material, in ‘Publisher’ or “in Powerpoint please” which might cause ructions, but schools should be better at that stuff than they are IMO..

Mac household here, for some time (and recall original Macintosh in our office)

brassneck

I’ve got a guy retrieving the HDD from the macbook at the minute, so hopefully should still be able to use the data.

If you’ve got a heavy investment in the apps (iTunes, iPhoto specifically) it’s a bit of a pain switching to Windows. Have done it a few times in both directions, and various cloud services can make it easier now, but I can’t say it’s an evenings work I much enjoyed. Worth bearing in mind anyway.

TomB

Are iMacs likely to last longer/ be more reliable than their laptops? I hate the idea of forking out another grand+ for just 4 years of gentle use!

zilog6128

What was the problem with the logic board? Has it literally just died or is it something more specific, i.e. graphics card issue which would manifest as malfunctioning/corrupted display?

TomB

Laptop started randomly restarting, then shut down and completely refuses to boot, no start up ping. Took it to our local fella and he rang with the diagnosis of dead logic board. Don’t know much more, I’m easily confused!

chomp
    Free Member

I’d say grab a mac mini – my old one (first run of the intel versions) is still running well at my parents house. Only took it apart to upgrade HD and RAM. That cost me £650 back in 2006 I think, so 8 years worth of computing and I could probably still sell it for £200.

It runs Snow Leopard (I think) with no issues, and the only help they’ve needed with it was to sort out some router issues when they changed ISP’s.

My kids happily use either our mac or windows PC, they pick things up really quickly (5 and 8) and have no issues with changing between the OS’s so don’t let that worry you.

School work hasn’t been a problem for us, almost all word\iwork docs let you open\save in other formats.

footflaps

Buy one with a bust screen off ebay and swap the mother board over?

danrandon
    Free Member

may be a simple fix – theres a video somewhere 2 mins

zilog6128

Doesn’t sound like this is the case, but some Mid-2010 MBPs are subject to an extended warranty due to a recognised issue with the logic board, specifically the graphics card.

Can’t hurt to phone Apple to check though. Have your serial number handy.

Ripley
    Free Member

Mine had the mid-2010 graphics card issue. Got a new laptop as at the time it was under warranty. However, try these guys for a replacement logic board. You can search by serial number – The Bookyard.

I’ve had a few other bits from them and they seem to be OK.

peteimpreza

Before you spend any cash take it to an Apple Store and visit the genius bar. There is a slim possibility it is a known issue and it could be fixed for free outside of warranty.

This is what happend to me when I had simialr issue with a much older MacBook Pro.

£500 worth of repairs all done FOC. The laptop was about 5 years old at the time. Know issue with the logic bord on that particualr model.

chomp
    Free Member

I have to agree, I had my old macbook pro repair free of charge with a graphics card issue when it was about 3 years out of its warranty.

Even if they can’t fix free, they will at least give you a full rundown of what is wrong with it.

(I got the bill for the work, was about £750 inc tax before being zeroed out)

Say what you like about apple and their prices, but I’ve had nothing but great experiences when something has gone wrong with one of their products

danrandon
    Free Member
    p8ddy
    Free Member

As others have said – Take it into the genius bar. Apple have covered my iMac for a further 3 years due to an issue with Seagate drives.

I’ve had Apple stuff for a good while now, and it’s all been flawless – but obviously the same can be said for some PC’s as well (I’ve a 10 year old Sony Viao kicking about along with my old g4 mac and 2007 Macbook.)

If you go for an iMac, the screen is gorgeous. I use mine for a lot of graphics work and it’s unbeatable. My missus uses a Mac Mini which was excellent value for money – the the unibody Mini case makes it pretty much waterproof.

I prefer OSX by far over Windows, but that discussion will just attract the fan-boys on both sides. 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

I traded my 2006 mac mini for a similar vintage mac pro. These are out of favour since they wont run the latest mac os. Upgrading is thus cheap. I should end up with a mac with 2x quad core zeon processors and 16gb of ram for about £220 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2010 MacBook Pro logic board dead-now what?’ is closed to new replies.