Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2010 Fuel EX8 v's 2010 Stumpy FSR Elite – I think I've decided
  • stumpy01

I managed to get hold of a 2010 Stumpjumper Expert yesterday and a 2010 Fuel EX9 for a day of comparing the two.
    Took them over to Cannock with some friends.

Both bikes fitted me OK, although the stem on the Trek was perhaps 20mm too long. The Trek definitely felt a bit more of a 'racy' position than the Stumpjumper.
    I took the Stumpjumper round first and was very impressed. Soaked up the bumps really well, cornered nicely, the body position felt good and even with the saddle right up I could still get off the back of the bike (not that I really needed to on the riding we were doing). It just seemed to give me an extra boost of confidence. The Brain shock got on my nerves a bit; it seems to send a clonk through the rear of the frame everytime it opens, similar to the feeling when you smack a rim on a root or rock. I am sure you'd get used to it but it felt a bit weird (and I'd not be forking out for the Expert, so no Brain to worry about).

Had some lunch and then took the Trek out. Was not impressed at all. I don't know if the suspension wasn't set-up correctly, but it seemed to clatter over everything, rather than soak it up like the Spesh did. I thought it might have too much psi in the shock, but I was using most of the travel, so don't think it was that. On the fast, smooth flowing sections of trail it felt really nice, but it didn't seem to climb as well as the Spesh, go downhill as well, it didn't grip very well either, but I am putting that down to the tyres. And I seemed to be completely lacking in confidence on it compared to the Stumpjumper.

I was absolutely amazed at the difference. I thought they would ride very similar. I am pleased that I decided to demo them together, as it made it totally clear that the replacement to the Stumpjumper (poor old girl), is going to be……erm, a Stumpjumper.
    Shame the Elite only comes in Silver, the Trek looks like a nicer bike, but it was no contest as to which bike suited me better.

Going to order one at the weekend, I think.

special77
    Free Member

Sounds like the shock wasn't setup properly to me, too fast or slow a rebound would cause that. Also you should be using full travel a few times i na ride but not too often, they have sag guides to get the pressure right. The Trek has a DRCV shock for 2010 whcih I have on my Roscoe and it's absolutely superb. Grip going downhill is more down to the tyres than anything else, you'd need to test back to back with the same tyres at same pressure for a fair test.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Welcome to the supple world of the Horst link….. 😀

armchairbiker

That helps me too. I rode a Stumpjumper as possible replacement for my Enduro. I quite liked it – though I thought the large was ok for normal riding, not as chuckable as I liked. I then spoke to a different bike shop who said go for a Medium.

I preferred the Red test bike to the silver. But still better than some ugly colour.

stumpy01

Special77, admittedly the shock wasn't 'optimised' but I think the recommended air pressure for my weight was used and the rebound was set to 1/2 way between fast & slow as a starting point. We didn't really mess with the suspension as much as we should have, but time wasn't on our side.
    Also, the Specialized was set to the suggested settings with rebound in the middle and it just worked straight off the bat. Perhaps Trek's suggested settings were a little off for me, but that doesn't help on a relatively short demo ride.

It wasn't just the suspension that swayed me though – my body position on the Stumpjumper gave me more confidence over things that I would normally see – brake – bottle – try again. Whereas on the Trek I just wasn't as comfortable to ride stuff.

Yeah, I did think that grip was hard to judge with different tyres. But in the course of the days testing, there wasn't a lot that I could do to level things up.

Peterpoddy – my current Stumpy is Horst-Link equipped but the new one was 10x better. I guess that's 9yrs of development for you.
    In fact, the funny thing was that the first thing I said when I got to the end of the first singletrack section on the Trek was that it felt like a modern version of my current Stumpjumper.

stumpy01

armchairbiker, how tall are you? A friend who came along for the day rode the Stumpjumper (medium) and it was amusingly small for him. He must be getting on for 6'. His knees were almost touching the bars.
    I am 5'6" and found that with the saddle about 2/3 forward in the rails it was great. With the rails any further back the riding position felt a bit long, so I'm guessing it would accomodate anyone up to perhaps 5'9 or so.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Sounds like you've done the research and can be confident that you have made the right decision for you.

After all £2000+ is real money!!

Enjoy!

Paul

AirconAde
    Free Member

I have just got a 2010 stumpy elite for £2000, it replaced an 07 epic expert.
    I have only ridden it a few times and am very pleased with it. Climbs better than I thought it would, almost as good as the epic. Suspension is very plush and I tend to run with it in the pro pedal most of the time.

I didn't rate the stock tyres much so have changed them for some trail rakers, but have yet to try them in the muck.

The silver is growing on me and looks good with the red detail on the wheels but I will be swaping these with my hope hoops ( I like the CLICK ).

Was close call between a lappie 314 though!

jonny-m
    Free Member

does the elite have the brain

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

No brain (er). Has lockout, propedal and full.

Works for me!
    Paul

stumpy01

Put a deposit down on the Elite on Saturday and got a 15% discount, which was great. Can't bloody wait for it!!!

Not in stock until the 8th Jan though, although I won't be riding much over Xmas so not too bothered.
    Thinking about concreteing a ground anchor into the shed with a decent chain, once I get it.

Anyone know if they are still doing the Lupine offer or a free light with Stumpys and Enduros? I think it ended in November, but am hoping that it might still be going. A little helmet light thrown in would be the icing on the cake.
    Just need to make a list of 'accessories' for it now – frame protector strips and stuff.
    Does it come with that rubber chainstay protector, or is that an extra?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2010 Fuel EX8 v's 2010 Stumpy FSR Elite – I think I've decided’ is closed to new replies.