• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2010 Component Challenge
  • topangarider
    Free Member

In the face of the ridiculous prices being charged for parts nowadays, and the fact I've now got the bike I want, I propose a challenge;

Is it possible to get through the entire of 2010 without spending any money on bike parts (not including consumables – pads, chains etc)? Do you really need those new wheels? Will it make the bike ride better – to a noticeable extent? Prob not, so save the cash!

I certainly plan on trying – use the money to fund more riding – trips and events. Already got Spring Polaris entered.

What d'you reckon?

topangarider
    Free Member

Just me then?!?!

ianpinder
    Free Member

i wont spend any money on new parts for my existing bikes, i'm always happy and don't feel the need to change for no reason. On the other hand I am buying a new bike!

MrNutt
    Free Member

nah my Orange is about spot on now, that said I do still fancy a single speed singular with midge bars. oh god help me!

ianpinder
    Free Member

mrnutt it's ok the ss is a new bike so your ok!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I will not be spending anything on new gubbins. Quite happy with what I have now 🙂

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Okay, so we're just buying new bikes instead of replacing old bits on old bikes – got it! 😀

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Just gonna try to keep the bikes running this year, 7 bikes between the four of us in the house so can get costly.

Especially now the kids are hammering the crap out of stuff on more advanced trails.

Digger90
    Free Member

As someone who always spends far too much on doodads I like the concept. Spend more on trips away, actual riding rather than drooling over whatever must-have fork, wheelset, brakes, frame etc…

I'll join you that 2010 challenge!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I'd join but what i f I break something can I replace it or do i have to race with one wheel?

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's me every year! I like to think I buy the right stuff first time around and only change it when it's worn out or broken. I'm still running Hope hubs (Bulbs) and brakes (E4) that must be well over ten years old now. They're now on their 3rd frame!

swisstony
    Free Member

Ican do that, I haven't spent much on my bikes for a while and don't intend to as they're just right. I did however spend a lot of cash on the Prophet to get it right, the only thing that's original is the front mech.

topangarider
    Free Member

I'd say replacing a broken wheel is fairly essential to your enjoyment of the sport.

Those guys buying a new bike – do you need it? Or another? Why not sell one first?! My old Gringo found a good home and help fund the new frame this year.

ianpinder
    Free Member

topangarider

No I don't need it, but then again I didn't need the last one i bought. I'll buy it as and when I can afford it and I'll buy all the right parts the first time so I won't be continually upgrading it.

br
    Free Member

Just gonna try to keep the bikes running this year, 7 bikes between the four of us in the house so can get costly.

Especially now the kids are hammering the crap out of stuff on more advanced trails.

Same here, 4 riders and 6 bikes…

But at least with kids always breaking stuff, I get to buy the top stuff and operate a 'trickle-down' approach… 😛

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was debating getting through this year without spending anything… but as I am getting back to riding I am realising that my main bike (nothing changed other than the brakes in 5 years) is getting a bit past it… so either needs a LOT spent on it, or a fresh start.

Thinking the latter, it may inspire me to ride more. But not until Spring!

AlasdairMc

I have reduced my spending on bike stuff somewhat this year as my bikes are now finally set up just how I like them.

Next year however I'm getting a new bike, so all bets are off.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Damn, I've lost already. Im upgrading my 2005 Reba's on my race bike to 2010 Sid teams… i recon there will be quite a performance increase… and im replacing my bontrager rhythm elite wheels to Hope XC 3 ( light-ish) wheels.

oxym0r0n

Just bought a Charge Knife for my SS to replace the WTB saddle which will trickle down onto the commuter – I think that's it for this year 'cos I'm pretty happy with the way my bikes are set up now…

ojom
    Free Member

I wasn't going to buy anything but after looking at the Yeti 5 carbon it is getting hard… a frame ain't really a component thought is it…?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2010 Component Challenge’ is closed to new replies.