• This topic has 29 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2010 5 spot or 2012 fuel ex 8 ?? which to go for?
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all I have a dilema…

I have sold my stumpjumper finally and now have the option of the buying either of the following two bikes….

2010 turner 5 spot xl

2012 trek fuel ex 8

Now, I had a turner before and really liked it but the one I had had a few things that put me off it, mainly being to small and also not having long enough forks.

The 2010 should cure that as it is an XL size frame and has 150mm forks.
    The problem is although it was built last year its still a 2010 frame so no tapered headtube or bolt through rear axle.

The trek is a 2012 fuel ex8 which is 5 months old but has been usd well in that 5 months. Its a lovely looking bike and has all the future proof stuff (tapered headtube and 142 rear end)but also has a press fit bottom bracket which from what I can gather on various forums are a bit pants.

The trek is also £100 cheaper than the turner.

I just cant decide??

HELP !!

br
    Free Member

Neither.

Just get a hardtail or 120mm FS, anything more is overkill for the Chilterns.

And I’d like to see you pedal a 150mm Turner with 1×10 up the hills 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Quite different bikes. The fuel ex doesn’t have a bolt thru either, it’s essentially a screw in QR, and turners didnt get bolt thru until 2012.

renton
    Free Member

br both have 3 x 10 drivetrain !!

I know they are different bikes but both are sort of aimed at the same rider!!

the fuel is 120mm

the 5 spot is 140mm

Wrecker you are right the turner isnt bolt through !

wrecker
    Free Member

Personally I’d save a little longer. See if you can pick up a 2011 turner. What’s the spend?

renton
    Free Member

I am on a budget of £1275

turner bang on, trek 100 quid cheaper

CaptainSlow

Both are excellent bikes…but the turner wins on the maintenance front having zerks.

renton
    Free Member

To be honest I really liked the 5 spot I had before it was just to small for me !!

Am I right to be concerned about it not having a tapered head etc ??

renton
    Free Member

Anyone got a trek fuel that can give me their opinions of the bike? It gets good reviews on the bike radar site but then so does the turner.

One thing to note is that Im not buying another bike after this one(not for a few years anyway !!) so whichever I get has got to last a long time

renton
    Free Member

bump for the morning commuters !!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Am I right to be concerned about it not having a tapered head etc ??

From a fashion point of view? Yes. From a “will I notice any difference” point of view? Probably not, unless you ride very hard and very fast. IMHO and with no evidence to back it up etc etc 😆

renton
    Free Member

I am probably never going to reach the limits of either bike tobe honest !!!!

It was just from a spares point of veiw, with tapered heads becoming the norm I fear we will see less and less normal steerered forks around !!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the decline in 26″ wheels* than non-tapered headset spares…and I’ve just bought a new 26er

*slight exaggeration

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’m riding a 2010 5 Spot and I wouldn’t be even slightly concerned by the lack of bolt through or tapered headtube. Mine gets ridden pretty hard and it’s the stiffest, best tracking bike I’ve ever owned, including some much “bigger” bikes.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I have a 2012 fuel (and previously a remedy), the slightly slacker HE on the 2012 fuels feels really nice, rides much like a mini remedy (which in itself feels like along legged fuel)

I am a big fan of the drcv shock, it really does everything claimed

Only downside is the push fit bb, which to me is a (bad) solution to a non existant problem

Can’t comment on turner, but always had a soft spot for them

renton
    Free Member

cheers for the replies.

Ive heard of horror stories with regards to the bottom brackets.

Is there a more permanent solution to it ?

wolfrider
    Free Member

I have a 2013 ex 8 and I love it.realy comfortable to ride the suspension is nice and plush and I fink they are good looking bikes to bboot.i also demoed a zesty a cube ams a stumpy and a sc blur lt and only the santa cruz felt better but was twice the price.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good point on the press-fit. Personally I’d be more concerned about having to buy more tools to replace press-fit BBs than whether I had a tapered steerer or not. Get the one with the non-pressfit BB.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and turners didnt get bolt thru until 2012.

don’t think it really matters, that rear triangle on the turner is plenty stiff – try riding one compared to a Trance X and see the difference in rear suspension performance.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had both, we’ll a 2010 EX8 and a 2011 5-Spot.

Different bikes indeed. EX8 is more XC oriented, 5-spot bigger hitting.

But…. a 2011 5-Spot is my only bike now, and it’s bonkers good on anything – tight twisty singletrack in the woods, big drops to flat, granite bouldery stuff. It’s just brilliant.

Climbing wise, it’s got a lot more grip than any 100mm XC bike I’ve ridden and pedals very very light indeed.

If it were my money I’d be looking at a 2011 5-Spot frame.

renton
    Free Member

The one im looking at is a 2010 frame but built last year !!

I really cant afford a 2011 frame to be honest as they are nearly what my budget is for a full bike, plus they very rarely come up secondhand in xl !

starting to veer towards the 5 spot more as the trek is a bit of an unkown.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The one im looking at is a 2010 frame but built last year !!

get the 2010 and drop your heels more on the downhill bits…

The 2010 will be more XC oriented as it is less slack.

I think they changed it after DT demoed an ‘all-mountian’ Flux with 120mm forks – too much overlap.

The standard Flux builds then changed from 100mm forks to 120mm.

renton
    Free Member

The turner in question is running 150mm forks so that should help slacken it out a little bit !!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

How good/fast are you? I’ve ridden in some adventurous terrain with a friend on a Flux and it coped without any fuss or bluster and must have been a joy to climb on. I suppose what I’m getting at is whether you feel you need more bike than your old Stumpy, or less? Why are you changing it?

I had this discussion with a mate of mine when I was in the market for a new bike. There was the type of bike I wanted to be riding (160mm burly all mountain machine for tearing up the Alps) then there was the type of bike for the riding I do the vast majority of the time. I’m glad I went the latter route.

renton
    Free Member

stilltortoise.

Dont get me wrong I like the stumpy and I think its a very capable bike, its just not me !!

I have had a hankering after a correct size for me 5 spot since I had an 09 large one.

Travel wise, there is a chance im moving to north scotland(lossiemouth) so with all the hills and trail centres up there I think the turner with 150mmfront/140mm rear would be ideal.

I can always add a 160mm fork if I needed to on the turner wheras I cant on the stumpy !

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have had a hankering after a correct size for me 5 spot since I had an 09 large one.

So what’s the Trek got to do with it then? Get the Turner bought 🙂

AlexSimon

I’d expect the Turner to feel more special for longer.

rickon
    Free Member

Totally agree with Stilltortoise, if you want the Turner, you’ll still want it after getting a Trek.

I’ve had a 2010 Flux and a 2011 5-Spot, and to be honest the handling is incredibly similar, neither feel twitchy or steep. The Flux with 120mm forks was brilliant, but I blew through the rear travel constantly – which could be fixed with a volume spacer. Plus the space at the rear for mud clearance was pitiful – I live in Scotland, and it’s pretty muddy at the forest behind the house.

The Spot is brilliant, as long as you’re not going to race and want to win those races, it’s a bonkers brilliant bike. Hey, if it feels a bit too steep get a work component headset to reduce the HA and some off set bushes.

£1275 – is that full bike or frame only?

renton
    Free Member

can you use a works headset on an xl frame?

hora
    Free Member

A 2011 or 2012 5spot- definitely. Not a 2010 though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2010 5 spot or 2012 fuel ex 8 ?? which to go for?’ is closed to new replies.