• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2010 32 Talas 150 thru Axle… opinions
  • billyboy
    Free Member

These seem to get glowing reviews but there have been undertones that maybe indicate these still suffer from a bit of flex and especialy in their 150 setting. An article seemed to suggest that 140 was the better option (but they don't say so right out because, the Cycle Press being what it is, any criticism will mean they won't get any more products to review from that company)

I've been riding an Air Pike, Pace RC41 and an 08 Talas recently and the one I prefer is the Talas for the suspension action, I just find it difficult to live with the flex. It makes going down things like the Walna Scar feel a bit dodgy where the Pace fills you with confidence.

Would I be wasting my money buying the new thru axle Talas?
    I know I would but you know what I mean!

I'd be gratefull for input from current users. (of the 2010 Talas!)

Ta

Bregante

can't say about the 2010 but rode the 2009 talas on an enduro and it was nowhere near as stiff as a Pike IMO.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've got the 2009 150 Talas and it isn't as stiff as the Pike. It's a much better tracking fork than the 140mm Talas QR it replaced.

The Fox is over a pound lighter than the Pike,though. So what's your priority?

hora
    Free Member

I was umm'in and arr'ing then I came across something on mtbr? that focussed purely on the 15 and 20mm QR's.

The 20mm was found to be 50% stiffer in torsional flex tests.

For me, a 140mm 15QR would be fine- anything over that in travel- common sense dictates that its at the end of a longer pivot along with the overall reduced weight from 09 to 2010 in the stanchions/lowers etc- I just dont trust it not to flex.

Hence I stuck with 20mm for longer travel.

Go with a Lyrik. It can do 115-160mm and isnt that heavy really now is it?!

Shandy
    Free Member

I have been weighing up options and reading around, a lot of the comparisons are with 2010 Revelation Maxle Lights – would these be flexier than Pikes anyway? I just can't seem to find anyone stocking the Revs with a tapered steerer, and I can also get a deal on the Fox which negates the price difference.

EDIT – Chapaking that was the comparison in the test I read, they actually preferred the Revelations, they are stiffer than the Fox and cheaper too.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Revelation Team with Maxle lite might be worth a look.

The suspension action should be on par or better than Fox (the Reba Team is), and it has a 20mm axle.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

150mm is too long for a 15mm axle. I got rid of mine within a month and went to 36 RC2's with a 20mm axle.

The 150's are a good 700g lighter than the 36's though but frankly I'm not bothered about a pound or so in the front end it actually means my bike fly's better.
    Go with a 20mm axle if you want to hammer the bike downhill, if not go with a 15mm axle as you will get more payback on the climbs with weight saving. I have heard the 140mm are a better fork as they are stiffer but personally never rode them.

br
    Free Member

I guess also depends on the bike you'll be putting them on?

I've a pair of 2006 36 Talas RC2's, they weigh 2700g for 150mm – been looking at new forks, but I've been looking at the U-Turn Revelations purely cos I'm sick of the Fox service costs and they're 20mm. Not sure on weight nor stiffness though.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have used the 150 TALAS 2010 forks and they are very good, and i don't notice anymore flex than the 140mm 2009 forks they replaced. The FIT damper in the 2010 forks is much better, seems to sit in the travel better.

All in all a good light weight travel trail fork. I can also supply at much cheapness prices 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Si.. can you still get muchocheapo 36 Floats??

ta

😀

(and to original poster person.. wot bike iz they going on?)

si-wilson
    Free Member

Si.. can you still get muchocheapo 36 Floats??

I can, i have a few pairs in stock, mail me for a price…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

(Si – i've sent a mail to your simon@progressive.. email address)

thanks

#apologies for thread hijack#

james
    Free Member

"It can do 115-160mm and isnt that heavy really now is it?! "
    Well it is. The Coil U-turn is 2.6kg. The 2Step Air (which can only do 115 or 160mm) is about 2.4kg

Its especially heavy if you aren't planning on using 160mm all the time AND a 2010 RS Revelation 120-150mm Air U-turn (20mm axle) is about 1750g?

nasher
    Free Member

The new marzocchi 44 rc3 ti are VERY nice.

not sure on stifness though.

I think Fox have now reduced their prices by 10%

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The Fox 36 float is "only" about a pound lighter than the 32 flavour float… really depends on the style of bike / riding imo:

lightweight 6'' bouncer / general trail riding = fox 32 float / RS Rev 150

"all-mountainy" beast / hardcoreish trail riding / occasional DH = Fox 36

billyboy
    Free Member

If I do get them they are going on a Ti456.

I would like to drop a bit of weight and keep the fearless descending feel of a Pike or a Pace bolt thru fork while still being able to drop the front end down for climbs. I think the bike is about 29lbs at the moment but I've got a Pike Air U Turn up front, heavy duty wheels and M4 brakes. I do swap over with a Pace RC41 occassionaly which puts it at a far more acceptable weight but I miss the travel adjust function and don't really get on with the Pace travel lockdown system. The stanchions always sneak out anyway and then at the worst moment the blowoff valve will send the front end up in the air. I prefer climbing on bumpy stuff with the fork active.
    I guess I should borrow a bike with 2010 Talas forks on and wack it down a few rocky slopes.
    Thanks for the input.

hora
    Free Member

The new marzocchi 44 rc3 ti

Nice for what? No ones going to buy them in this country 😆

Mazzorchi make Manitou look like a serious fork proposition.

br
    Free Member

BillyBoy

TBH I've a Ti456 and find that my 120mm Reba maxle feels just as stiff as the 36's, only real difference is that I normally use a narrower rim (4.1 or 819 vs 5.1) and small tyre (2.1 vs 2.4) with the Reba.

I would have thought that the bolt-through Revelation and/or 32 wouldn't be much less stiff than a 36 – maybe enough to notice, but not enough to impact usage?

PeteG55
    Free Member

I've got the 2010 Revelation Races, non U-turn. So far, damned impressed. I believe the Teams with the blackbox damping are fantastic. I think you'll find they're marginally lighter than the Floats too.

nasher
    Free Member

[/quote]Nice for what? No ones going to buy them in this country

Mazzorchi make Manitou look like a serious fork proposition.

Marzocchi do have a lot of reputation to re build, but their 2010 stuff I have tried is fantastic. I have a set of the 55rv's (£350 retail) and they outperform the fox 36 Van R they replaced and nearly half the cost. Albeit maybe half a pound heavier.

Once i have given them a couple of months in the Alps I will post some reviews, also for the 66 and 44.

Also a 3 year warranty with NO service stipulations, so no lubing and pulling apart every 15 hours.

Remember rock Shox went through the same thing as Marzochhi and look at them now!

hora
    Free Member

nasher I'll never be a fan again.

grumm
    Free Member

TBH I've a Ti456 and find that my 120mm Reba maxle feels just as stiff as the 36's

Hmmm – my 36 Vans feel miles more stiff than the Pikes I previously had on there.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Lets be fair to the air pikes…if you have a 454 air u-turn they're only around 4.7lbs…and what i dont get about the 2010 fox 32 is how can the 150mm version be lighter than the same chassis but in 140mm?

b r – your 20mm reba will feel amazingly stiff, but increase the travel to 160mm on the same chassis and they will be nowhere near a 36.

In my mind the 32 would be the perfect trail for if it had been made with a proper 20mm axle. From what ive ridden (most rockshox and fox though the years) the fox damping has always seemed better. Not ridden a 2010 revelation yet, but i hear very good things about them. And why dont rockshox have an easier travel adjust system…like fox or magura?

Marzocchi have a long way to go. They are no cheaper or lighter than the competition so have to wait for their bombproof reputation to return.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I'm in a similar dilemma, between changing from Fox Talas to Rockshox Rev but unfortunately my decison is in part driven by my wheels I have some pro 3s that can only got up to 15mm thru axel so limiting me to Fox.

juan
    Free Member

to the OP i have tried them and they work better than my van 32. if you can go for it.

br
    Free Member

b r – your 20mm reba will feel amazingly stiff, but increase the travel to 160mm on the same chassis and they will be nowhere near a 36.

Don't disagree, now got some Magura Thor's to try – hopefully the chassis will be as stiff as the Reba/36 upto 140mm.

br
    Free Member

20" 456Ti with Magura Thors:

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2010 32 Talas 150 thru Axle… opinions’ is closed to new replies.