Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 200×57 shock on a 200×50 frame?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What would happen, or would it be ok?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

You would have less rear wheel travel,Other than that nothing,same overall length,shorter stroke

wwaswas

actually, isn’t that a longer stroke shock in the frame?

You might have some of the moving bits hitting stuff they wouldn’t have done with a 50mm stroke shock?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

nicolaisam has it the wrong way round….

It will give more travel and might cause a tyre/frame hit or linkages to reach the end of their movement before the bumpstop of the shock.

However, it works on some frames. I’ve done it on my 07 giant reign as the rear ends of the reign Xs were the same just with the longer stroke shock

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, you’d have more travel by very approx 15%. As to what would happen, depends on the frame – some frames it might be a disaster with linkages/tubes/tyres hitting and knackering the frame, others will be fine. My 04 Enduro was fine.

Easiest way to tell is take the current shock out and compress the suspension until the distance between the two shock mounting points is 140mm (to be safe – eg 60mm rather than 57mm travel) and see if anything clashes. If not it’ll be ok from that perspective.

that said, it will mean that the BB will end up lower at full travel than previously which can be an issue.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

OOPS,just looked at the question again 😳 I have it the wrong way around.
    It may or may not be any good,You would need to remove all the air or remove the spring and do a full compression test by gently pushing the bike down,making sure that nothing hits,eg wheel on seatpost,swingarm hitting on the frame etc.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s maybe going on an Ellsworth Epiphany, if anyone has any ideas how that’d work..?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘200×57 shock on a 200×50 frame?’ is closed to new replies.