Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2009 Turner Five spot DW – How is warranty sorted?
  • Vortexracing

Been looking at the 2009 DW spots in Merlin and have heard that a few of the 2009 ones failed. These were sorted quick as you like by Turner (which I belive the customer service is excellent). I was wondering if you buy a 2009 model and it breaks, do they replace the broken part with the revised 2010 bit?

and what is it that has been breaking on them?

Ta
    Chuck

SigmaF
    Free Member

We've heard that a couple had welds go near the bottom link….but not too many….

And yes, the Turner back-up service is very very good……

If I was you though, I'd come to us for a 2011 model…..!!…. 😆

Just had a couple in the Raw finish…..very very nice……

Vortexracing

can you do em for £1500?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Mine cracked recently, if you look at my history you will see the pics etc.

My front triangle was replaced with a 2010 by Silverfish; however, the service was woefully slow with the replacement taking 6 weeks!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Talk direct to Turner USA – I've had great service on my bought-secondhand-6-years-ago RFX. Greg is the guy to deal with.

toons
    Free Member

SigmaF what are the changes for 2011?

mrpink
    Free Member

Chucky if you did manage to break a 09 model iam sure you would get a 2010 or 2011 model.I have a 09 spot and don't have any problems,5th Turner and will be getting a 2011 frame soon.

mrpink
    Free Member

Toons,how was the highline in Morzine?

toons
    Free Member

The Highline was amazing, I wasn't!

Mr Pink why the 2011 frame?

mrpink
    Free Member

Got a email of dt,all sounds good but my lips are sealed 😀

toons
    Free Member

ha way you bloody tease.

pm me?

toons
    Free Member

DT wouldn't spill the beans either!

If you're going to change to a 2011 frame, it must be something a bit different 😉

lowey

Your close mate… sooo close!

Vortexracing

I know Lowey, they do look nice, not sure if would drop £2K on one though. I have this mental limit of £1.5K for a frame.

Found a new dual air lyrik for £375 as well 😆

Ventana X5 is doing fine though, so It's just an itch at the moment.

plus to afford it the BFe will have to go, although in truth, I'm too old to have a big forked bike like that, my riding will never do it justice and I probably have too many bikes anyway (according to the Mrs that is)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

chucky, CRC are doing them for £1200 for the 17" in white, same price as merlin for the rest. Surely not a coincidence that the 09s were problematical and are now being "blown out" as left over old stock, but if you can guarantee a replacement its a cheap may to buy a 2010 or 2011 frame by default!

Vortexracing

cheers, need a small. I suffer from a bad case of 'short arseism'.

and yes that was my reason for asking the question in the first place, if Turners CS is as good as they claim then it should not be a problem, except waiting for the replacement bits.

toons
    Free Member

£1200 Jesus they're giving them away!

I've had mine since Feb 09 and its not broken yet (touch wood).

Vortexracing

Sign of the times when £1200 is seen as a 'bargain' for a FS frame 😆

nockmeister
    Free Member

Building my '09 5spot at the moment…can't wait for it to creak,snap, and pedal bob… 😉

stanley

I bought an 09 one a few months ago.
    Had a problem with the seattube…. it hadn't been reamed out properly and so seat couldn't be dropped down. At least it proves that it's welded well !

Anyway, sorted by Turner/Silverfish quickly, and I'm very happy with the service and the frame now.

I have noticed what could be a potential problem though…. As the suspension compresses, the mini-link behind the bb moves the swingarm up and in towards the main frame creating a closing gap. Debris (a stone thrown off the back tyre for instance)could get trapped and crushed here.
    I'm mentioning this as mine has a gouge there already. Worried that if a stone ended up there again, as suspension hit a big compression, then what would give ??
    Would the stone break ? Or the frame/swingarm ?

Maybe a guard is needed ?

Or maybe it was a fluke and nothing will land in this closing gap again ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

unless you throw it off a mountain your riding style will never break it 😉

Vortexracing

is that due to my natural skill and finesse 😆

or not going fast enough?

Junkyard
    Free Member

floaty smoooth even at light speed

Vortexracing

nice to see all my hard work is appreciated 😆

it takes lots of practice to get this good you know

SigmaF
    Free Member

The 2011 (or 2010.5 if you like) has a modified front triangle at the linkage point (longer weld fillet) with some other little bits (top tube seat stay gusset and cable guide)….

I'd imagine if you go direct to Turner USA they would sort you out a warranty/crash replacement deal on a 2009 front triangle…..

Sorry chap, can't stretch to £1500 on a new one……drop me a line though and I'll see what we can do…..!!

Super impressed by them – didn't expect to be as on paper the HA is too steep……but, once ridden….you're in!!

jsm

Out of interest, as a 2005 spot owner, what's the new one like in comparison?

nuke

Had a problem with the seattube…. it hadn't been reamed out properly and so seat couldn't be dropped down

How far down could the seatpost go? Reason I ask is that I recently got an 09 Flux and couldn't drop the seatpost more than around 8" into the frame. I emailed Greg and he said the seattubes are reamed to a depth of around 21cm (…so about 8").

stanley

That sounds about right.
    On the 5spot, the seatpost should be able to drop down to about level with the pivot. The tube has an internal taper beyond that point.

Mine would only drop down to about level with the top tube, where weld penetration caused it to stick.
    Not an isolated incident either, but sorted out quickly. Would in no way put me off buying another Turner……… not that I need or could afford another !

toons
    Free Member

I've also got a seat tube that's not reamed out properly.

Stanley how many days did it take to sort out?

John_Key
    Free Member

I was an early adopter of a turner DW 5-spot in Nov 2008. However I had managed to break it at the seat tube/bottom bracket weld in 3 months. Turner replaced it within a week and 4 months on it happened in the same place again. By this time Turner had some out with the 2010 model which had a much bigger gusset added to the area where the weld had failed and they had obviously had a few break at this point.

Customer service was excellent from Turner and I have had no probs with the new frame. They said if I did it again they would refund me…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2009 Turner Five spot DW – How is warranty sorted?’ is closed to new replies.