Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2009 Race Face Deus XC crank removal?
  • All-On-Black
    Free Member

Hey guys, first time posting on the forum 🙂

I've recently bought and fitted a new rear cassette and chain, and found that my middle chain ring is worn, so bought a new one.

However, upon trying to fit it, i've found that I can't remove the crank. I have a crank remover, but it doesn't fit my chainset.

Does anyone know if there is a specific tool for the race face cranks?

Cheers!

ajantom

Should self extract – as far as In know all Race Face cranks have self extracting bolts on.

All-On-Black
    Free Member

yeh i've just been doing some reading up on it..

Loads of posts are aboutsaying they are self extracting but I can't for the life of me understand how?!

Can anyone give a detailed explanation of how to do it?

j-claw
    Free Member

OK, there's a 8mm bolt holding the cranks on with a 10mm extractor cap on top of it. Make sure that the 10mm is done up properly & then simply undo the 8mm so it pushes againsut the 10mm & 'self extracts' – easy!

ajantom

The bolt has a head which screws into the crank, then a loose bolt which sits inside that. When you undo he smaller bolt it pushes against the cap which is fixed in the crank and forces the crank off the axle.

Installation instuctions here

All-On-Black
    Free Member

ok, excellent.

I'll give that a go then, and hope it works.

Out of curiosity, is that the only way to get them off?

j-claw
    Free Member

No, you can remove both the 8mm & 10mm bolt & puller cap & use an ISIS crank extractor to get them off.

ajantom

No, you can remove both the 8mm & 10mm bolt & puller cap & use an ISIS crank extractor to get them off.

Or a normal crank extractor with a coin to push against in the hole at the end of the axle – this is a bodge, but it does work IF you are careful.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I've got Deus too remove 8mm allen bolt comes out with cap then need extractor.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Old Deus was 10/8mm bolts.
    2009 you need an 8mm allen to remove the bolt, then ISIS tool to extract the drive side crank.

ajantom

So they've gone backwards technologically speaking, weird.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Think lesser models are still self extracting just not Deus, just realised mine are 2008 ones and need extractor. Hey ho Sram xx for xmas!

ajantom

Why would they do that?

Anyway, for £6.99 can buy the self extracting bolts from CRC.

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Righty, i've had a look at my bike this evening, followed the instructions, but I knew it was never gunna work when I tightened up the puller cap. Must be a different model or something, cos the puller cap is plastic, and has a very thin plastic thread. Never gunna be strong enough to pull off the crank.

So tomorrow I am off to the bike shop to get an ISIS crank puller.

Thanks for your help anyways guys, appreciated! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2009 Race Face Deus XC crank removal?’ is closed to new replies.