• This topic has 32 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 2009 Meta 5 frame- Worth buying? (or recommend?)
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok I’ve heard a few conflicting stories- a batch of badly/insufficiently-welded frames was to blame and a whole year due to a design flaw but I also ‘heard’ that if it hasn’t cracked yet then possibly it’d never crack?

Anyway- seen a medium 09 Meta for sale. I’m very interested but conscious of the ‘issue’.

Worth a punt?

Ideally I’d get a large 2011′ or 2012 frame however they are rare.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

With you riding it, what could possibly go wrong????? 😉

Crag
    Free Member

In the experience of the Meta’s both me and a friend have owned, it will break eventually. Between us we have broke Meta’s from 2007/08/09/10.

Unless you’re getting it for peanuts I’d walk away.

hora
    Free Member

Repairable? i.e. weld?

Kuco

I thought 10 onward were okay.

DrP

I had an 08 – lasted years of pretty abusive riding, then ‘possibly’ (i’m not sure, slight paint crack, but was enough to worry me…) cracked.
    Replaced with a 2012…

Was told by commie chap that the 2008/9 issues have all been ironed out.

It’s a brilliant and capable frame, so worth going for.

Now, on the subject of buying one Hora – I’m going to get the paint crack filed and welded up, which will leave me with a medium meta VIP (minus shock).
    If you are interested, bearing in mind it’ll be repaired, would you want it??

DrP

Crag
    Free Member

All but the 2010 were replaced under warranty so no need to repair.

Would you really want to start welding a frame prone to breaking?

br
    Free Member

With you riding it, what could possibly go wrong?????

Well, based on history it will barely be used and then sold on within a week/month.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

’10 model did address the issues that had occurred in the ’09 frame.
    Build quality was noticably different between the two.

Also, the problems were mainly on L & XL frames, which had a different configuration of the top shock mount with respect to seat /top tube joint.

Personally, I’d not touch an ’09 (having had one in L size and broken it) but would happily have another ’10 (XL warranty replacement), if I hadn’t switched to a Five.

General points:
    The Commie felt like a much longer, stretched out riding position that the Five (XL Commie v 20″ Five, 745 bar/50 stem on both).
    The outstanding + point of the Commie was the rear suspension action which always impressed me, despite being a bit flexi in the swingarm.
    If I could have a Five with the Commie’s rear suspension, I’d have my perfect bike.

jonnyseven

Have a 2010 medium I have not got around to moving on. Email in profile if you want more details

Tom-B
    Free Member

So you’re interested in buying a frame in the wrong size?

ffej
    Free Member

I ride a warranty replacement 2010 XL.. and I love it. I wouldn’t touch anything pre 2010 though.
    There are cheap 2011 and 2012 frames available direct from the commencal store.. 400 euro for 2011.

Don’t think the frames changed at all from 2010 to 2012.

Jeff

scruff
    Free Member

My 2011 large was fine inc. a week in the Alps, couldnt get on with the slack seat angle but apart from that I liked it.

hora
    Free Member

So you’re interested in buying a frame in the wrong size?

Why do people get so hung up on buying a frame that they are told to/dictated to? After all, its ideal to test a bike first to see if the (manufacturers) size really does suit nevermind the way it rides (which size also affects)- so many veribles and personal preference.

Its a guide. Its not like trousers where waist size is key.

Ps. Large in stock- cheers for the PSA – £344 😯

jonnyseven YGM

steel4real
    Free Member

‘Commonfail’ ?

Tom-B
    Free Member

It’s just that you said that ideally you’d like a large but were enquiring about a medium! Frame size is all important for me which is why I try before I buy! You do have previous for wrong frame sizes 😆

flange
    Free Member

Its a guide. Its not like trousers where waist size is key.

Brilliant…

hora
    Free Member

Thats the thing- ‘wrong’ sizes – I found the large Enduro almost ungainly/too large. I think Spesh’s sizing is weird. Whereas Santa Cruz are admittedly a smidge short but feel very nice in medium- better than large. The 456 is just too long – take just 1/2inch off the 18″‘s top tube and it’d be brilliant.

Heres mine from yesterday- I feel more comfortable with the saddle right forward and a 50mm stem:

flange
    Free Member

From memory you’re 6’3 aren’t you? I just can’t understand how you can find an 18inch frame too big (different strokes for different folks of course). I ride a Spesh at the moment and I’m 6’2. I’ve got the post up almost at the maximum so it’s only just big enough for me – do you have an extra long neck or something?

hora
    Free Member

Your approaching this from your thinking/how you see things should be done though flange. How many times have you jumped on another riders bike on a ride for instance and thought ‘oo bars, rotated too far/stem too high’ etc etc?

My ideal is 23TT/18ST and circa 67SA. Alot of manufacturers would put me on 23.75/24+TT and 19-20ST.

hora
    Free Member

In general- good to ride etc?

DrP

The meta?
    Amazeballs! Use for all day xc, or thrashing down the alps…so capable (when it’s in one piece…)

Brilliant do it all bike.

DrP

Toasty

Absolutely loved my 2008 Meta, by far the most fun bike I’ve ever owned, I was always a bit big for it at 6’6″ though. Riding a 22″ Five now, feels quite sedate in comparison, very similar sort of thing though.

2009 was THE year to avoid though.

Crag
    Free Member

I really liked mine. Much better than the 5 Spot I replaced it with although not as good as the Zesty I now have.
    Never felt out of its depth. It’s not the lightest though.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love a Zesty frame. Rare or wornout looking though. Plus full bikes are ££!

hora
    Free Member

Got it. Whooa its heavier than the stated 6.5lb??? Feels it

DrP

Weigh it…..
    That’ll give you an answer to how heavy it is… 😉

DrP

Lifer
    Free Member

Love my 08 meta, when it dies I’ll replace it with another Commie.

hora
    Free Member

Lifer do you really feel the weight??

DrP I have hands used to holding a fair few pounds 8)

At least it’ll last

br
    Free Member

Got it. Whooa its heavier than the stated 6.5lb??? Feels it

What does it weigh?

hora
    Free Member

m.flickr.com/#/photos/30625376@N06/8539127043/sizes/l/

No exact idea yet. Packaging is neglible as no shock etc

adventurer85
    Free Member

Hora,

See my Commie 2011 Meta 5.5 for sale on the forum BARGAIN @ £275 posted

hora
    Free Member

Err ^^^

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘2009 Meta 5 frame- Worth buying? (or recommend?)’ is closed to new replies.