Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2008 Orange 5 geometry
  • freddiest

It seems an 09', 2010 or 2011 5 with the slacker head angle would be more capable on the descents but i've come across an 08 frame at what seems a good price.

Just wanted to know if it suffers from being too steep in peoples opinion. Think it's 68.5 degrees but might slacken off a bit with my pikes on. Heard all about how the 5 is such a capable descender so is the 08' model similar in this respect or a different ride altogether?

Thanks

T666DOM

I wouldn't call my '08 5 steep. It's a riot on the way down and easy on the way back up. I've got the 36 Talas forks on 160mm the head angles easily slack enough for most descents.

hora
    Free Member

I'd probably say the 08 would have an alround/better headtube angle. I found my five frame (09) to be too slack.

nickegg
    Free Member

Agree with you there Hora. I had a 2007 frame (same as 2008) and wished i'd just kept it as i felt the new slacker gemometry really slowed the bike down on flatter, twisty singletrack. I grow to hate the 2009 i bought as a replacement and eventually sold it after 6 months!

The 2007/8 geometry was a far better all round bike than the more descent orientated geometry they have now. The only time the 2009 bike i had felt right was for my week in Les Arc!

freddiest

That's good to know. Riding a marin attack trail '08 which is pretty slack and a bit heavy for anything but steep downhill. Thought the five would be a better allrounder but don't want to lose too much on the descents if i can help it. Planning an uplift day at innerleiithen so I can always hire a downhill bike for that if i need to and use the five for everything else. Thanks

nickegg
    Free Member

I sold a 2007 Wolf Ridge and swapped the parts to a 2007 Orange 5 frame and the difference was night and day! The 5 was sooooo much quicker on the flats and just as good on the descents.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have an 08 Five, my pal prefers it to his 2010 frame.

I have Lyrik coils up front on mine, so I can have it out at 160mm for descents with a 67* head angle
    and 140mm with a 68* head angle for the rest of the time.

it rides great.

hora
    Free Member

Shhh you'll get us in trouble with the RAD to-the-max Five riders 😆

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The 07/08 geometry was the best Five for my type of riding. I can't really get on with the later and more so latest geometry.

GaryLake
    Free Member

'08 Five here too – a better allrounder and never feels 'steep'

unstableJ
    Free Member

I bought one of the last '08s before they ruined it with the new slack geometry for people who can't ride properly…

…only ever felt a little steep on a few occaisons in the Alps and that I feel was more to do with having Fox Float 32's on, with 36's it would be perfect.

I really hope mine lasts a while yet as it's a fantastic all rounder, the new model just doesn't look as good for my kind of riding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2008 Orange 5 geometry’ is closed to new replies.