Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 2008 Commencal Meta 5.5
  • lesoxdh
    Free Member

Hi STW peeps.

Sorry to open this up as it has been on here before and there is lots of treads all over the interweb regarding this.

I have been offered a 2nd hand 2008 Commencal meta 5.5. As I am aware it is not creaked as the interweb nicely points out is a known issue. I know it is a fun bike to ride and that is the reason i am interested in the frame.

So the questions are, Should I part my cash and get the frame or avoid it as much as possible?

Who has a meta 5.5 and has not snapped one?

Also I am not a XC whippet and on the large size (pies), would this be a issue?

Thanks

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mr Toast rode a 2008 Meta 5.5 for years, and it never cracked – he sold it when he got his Orange 5 earlier this year.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

I had an 08 5.5.2 – was awesome. Regret selling it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had a 2008 meta and it’s still going strong.

I thrashed the arse of it as well, great bike.

swavis

I have one too. It’s been thrashed all over Scotland, Lakes & Spain 3 times so it hasn’t had an easy life and I’m not known for my finesse 😉 It’s an absolute hoot and still going strong.

diggers
    Free Member

My O/H has an 08 553 and I have a 09 552 (mediums). No problems yet with either frame. I seem to recall it was 09 Large frames which had most issues.

Lifer
    Free Member

2008 Meta 5.5.3 with Spesh E150 forks on it (triple clamps). Hasn’t batted an eyelash (but is looking a bit battered)

unklehomered
    Free Member

great bikes, to honest the cracking issue got over blown, there was a problem with some of the bikes. But if it was one of those, unless its been ridden on nothing but tow paths it would very probably have gone by now. Front triangle on mine was replaced on warranty after under 1 yr. Not a very heavy one either.

I’m just about to get rid of my 07 meta 5 (new front triangle over 4 yrs old now), and even on its last ride part of me was still thinking, i could just keep this. Its been ragged round the alps and all over the shop. But I came into some money so am getting a meta AM

My advice would be get it. FWIW.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have had one since 2007 (about to sell) and it’s been fantastic, very tough and reliable frame, well treated but built with Pikes, maxle back end and given some stick and still fine.

Only selling as it was so much fun, it took me a while to admit to myself my medium was too small for me (6 foot).

I know the 2008 came from a reputable factory, there were changes for 2009 and reported failures, possibly due to factory or process, that were not involved on the 2008’s.

If the price is right, go for it.

VanMan
    Free Member

Yep my 08 Meta 552 is still going strong & it has had a hard life with no complaints – shamefully still on same main pivot bearing as well 😳

AFAIK it was, as stated above, the large frames or mediums with a lot of seatpost showing that cracked. On which note if you like dropper posts remember the Meta is 27.2 🙁

saracendan

Uncracked 2009 large here! Love mine and would find it hard to replace (even though it’s a bit over biked for thetford!) . Now kept for fun weekends away and purchased a hardtail for day to day stuff.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just to clarify, it’s a 2008 model I had since 2007. One of the first back of UK specific Meta XT models.

Also got a couple more 2008 Commencals – an Absolut 4X and Supreme DH. The Supreme has been raced all over from Scotland to Croatia and the Alps and is great!

rascal
    Free Member

My 2008 5.5.2 XT still going strong and on original pivot bearings.
    Had to change lower shock bushings last year and that’s about it, and I’m no flyweight believe me.
    Great climber with Propedal on, planted enough on the downs with Revs up front.
    Cosmetically it’s seen better days but we’ve had lots of fun together 😉
    Get it.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Buy buy buy, great bike. As others have said the cracking issue has been blown out of proportion, look at all the people slating the Yeti ASR 5. Sometimes there are issues with bikes but if it’s an 08 and been ridden and not cracked I suspect it will be fine. My 09 is still going strong after 3 years of abuse, the cracking may be due to fatties 😀

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments. It is sounding good for me to buy. But Aguesty1 I am a pie eating fattie 😥 (well 18 stone rugby size not player) also is the seatpost not 31.6 not 27.2.

scruff
    Free Member

I’m selling my large 2011 on ebay if you’re interested. 😀

aguesty1
    Free Member

Ha, If the bike fits you you’ll be fine, it was more an off the cuff comment in jest, wouldn’t want to offend a fellow egg chaser. Seriously though they are a great bike and very cheap and underrated, I love mine, so much fun. If you can though I’d definitely recommend a maxle for the rear as it stiffens it up a treat, I got one from real cycles, if you email them they will give you sound advice, they did me a second hand one.

iain1775
    Free Member

If its a large or xl then seatpost is 31.6, medium is 27.2
    Sold my 08 meta yesterday, been a brilliant bike not a problem at all and loved it
    2nd what was said about 08 to 09 factory change causing the issues (some very later 08’s where affected also but mainly 09)
    Also 2nd the Maxle upgrade
    Like the poster above I only sold as I got the new Meta AM model
    Now on my 3rd Commencal, my 09 Ti hardtail also going strong despite almost weekly peaks bashing and running with longer forks than recommended
    You will find good advise and many friendly people over on http://www.commencalownersclub.com
    (real cycles no longer deal Commencal and have sold pretty much all their left over stock and spares)

juan
    Free Member

My 2008 meta 5 is still going strong, despite the abuse it’s suffering (living in the alps, doing several enduro races, did the transvésubienne (see issue 75) and ride in rocky stuff each time). The paint is indeed pretty much chipped but I have not changed a bearing yet. If I do change it, it will be for a meta AM.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Sorry Scruff but I think I have seen you white/blue meta on eBay and if it is the one it is already over more then what I have to spend. (my 2 year son has replaced my cycle cash flow lol). Well I think I will get the frame and thank you all for the help with the seatpost as that has saved me more cash as apart from the front mech every thing can come off my on one 456. I will post a pic in the next week when it is put together.

Ps in a week there will be a bright pink on one 456 with a slx front mech and sunline headset for sale, who would be interested as I can’t have a 3rd bike (Mrs lesoxdh has said so 😀 ).

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Hi all. thanks for your comments as I have purchased the frame. Just awaiting the delivery to me. Not bad price I think too. Paid £195 for it.
    Again thank you. A photo will follow next week when I have it built up.

aguesty1
    Free Member

£195, is a bargin.

Enjoy…..

b45her
    Free Member

hope you get a good one .

I got 3 bad ones 🙁 ,brilliant bike but mine were made of glass.

2 cracked 1 seat tube 1 downtube .

1 rear triangle snapped clean at the dropout ,commencal refused to replace the rear triangle claiming it was crash damage , have you ever tried staying on a bike when your back wheels is flapping about .

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Ok i got the frame. Happy to report no cracks. The shock my need a service as unsure when it was serviced last.

But here is the completed bike.

IMG_0074 by lesoxdh, on Flickr

rascal
    Free Member

Nice.
    Looks tiny. What size is it?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Either an S or an M with the top shock mount position.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

It a M frame. Had a ride on it last night. All is good apart from the lower shock bush need replacing as it knocking. And I have to say I love it.

boomclart
    Free Member

Old thread I know but this cracking issue on the 08/09 Meta’s, was it just on carbon frames or Alu ones?

I’ve just bought a secondhand carbon 2011 but there’s also an 08-09 one going for £275 and my friend is looking for a frame as well… don’t want to advise him to get it and find it’s a high risk job but at the same time I firmly believe if is was defective it would of surely cracked by now as it shows plenty of signs of being used enough.

He’s on a really limited £500 budget as well and despite be advising him he’d be better off getting a better spec’d HT he’s got his heart set on a FS bike.

I can’t find anywhere which states if the 08-09 models were all alu, carbon or mix?

bullit
    Free Member

I am about to advertise for sale my 2010 medium meta frame with RP23 shock fully serviced by TF tuned earlier this month, all frame bearings replaced in November 2012, new gear hanger , plus unused spare, front mech, headset, hope QR seatpost clamp, SDG I beam seatpost saddle and and hollowtech bottom bracket. It’s in great condition , only with some cable rub at usual points, and a few small chips in paint, but its never been ragged or mistreated. It has been a fantastic bike, and been up and down several Munros , and around Lake Garda , and dealt with it all admirably. Im only selling due to arrival of first child and needing to downsize bike numbers. Pictures on request. Email in profile.

oldnick

Alloy was all I heard about cracking-wise, but I’m really not sure I’d buy a well worn carbon anything.

boomclart
    Free Member

@bullit what price are you looking at for the above?

bullit
    Free Member

Im looking for £370 posted for the lot, but open to sensible offers.

boomclart
    Free Member

I’ve sent you an email.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘2008 Commencal Meta 5.5’ is closed to new replies.