Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • 2008-2010 Honda Civic Type R
  • rhysw
    Free Member

Does anyone own one of these?
    I’m thinking of getting one. I like the fact you can fold all the back seats down to fit a bike in.
    What’s there running costs like, are they good to own ?

Cheers

toby1

I own an older EP3 type (2002) and seats are ace – you can slot 2 bikes in very nicely.

Costs of running are pretty high depending on how you drive – they love a drop of oil and I hate to think what I average mpg – probably 22-25 on a good day.

All that said I bloody love it.

julians
    Free Member

I have one, or rather my wife does.

Its a great car, the boot area is huge because of the way the seats folds down (as you have mentioned).

Running costs are pretty good I would say, probably typical hot hatch costs, you might get 30-35mpg on the motorway, less round town. Service every 12k I think, hasnt cost more than £200 at service time, and nothing else has ever needed doing.

The wifes has been pretty reliable, only issues have been a sticking rear brake caliper and a leak in the air con system.

Ours doesnt use any oil at all.

downsides? – it has a very harsh ride, but the upside is that it feels super sharp on turn in.

Engine needs to be revved to make it move, it does not feel ‘effortless’. It would probably feel slow compared to a turbo charged golf gti, but in reality probably is about the same performance in terms of acceleration.

DarrenH

I had one of these ( 57 plate tbh) thought it was a great car,
    quick enough and very reliable but when the little red v-tec light comes on forget about fuel economy.
    The boot is very big with a nice drop down floor which is handy.
    Sadly it had to go when our twins arrived.

dyls

Ive owned a new shape one for around four years now, no problems at all and a complete bike, with both wheels fit in the back. Honda servicing costs £200/300, bridgestone tyres are £120 each, front last around 12,000 miles, rear have done 70k,, average 32mpg on my 25 mile commute, insurance around £500, tax £270/year (i think).

I owned the previous shape before, also a very good car.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My mates got one its a lovely car, I looked at the previous shape and really liked it. Some people who read too many magazines complain about the ‘steering feel’ turning in at low speed but I’ve not met anyone who has owned one who found this an issue. I spoke to a few owners when looking most have gone on to buy another.

dab

Mates got a 60 plate type r and I’ve got a 56 plate 2.2 diesel
    Would suggest a 2.2 diesel type s gt
    Get it remapped

Lots cheaper to run than the type r and decent mpg too
    Although you’ll want some decent winter tyres
    Hondas don’t like snow on the standard fit bridgestones

Gary_C

Hora will be along soon to say that he’s thinking of buying one… 😉

M6TTF
    Free Member

Mate at work has a 57 plate – gets through a fair bit of oil, but he spanks it from cold, and always has done. Quick, but buzzy, not a relaxing drive, awesome fun though!

timc
    Free Member

id suggest something else tbh

hora
    Free Member

Awful. A modern diesel with 150bhp would actually be better.

Steering feel is still vague IMO

Plus the chavs will be able to afford them soon…

The VAG 2.0T engine is better to live with.

Oh and vtec-ho? Grow up tards 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I wrote:

Some people who read too many magazines complain about the ‘steering feel’

Hora wrote:

Steering feel is still vague IMO

Ho ho ho 🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

VAG 2.0T is a great engine, not particularly economical either though, but the newest versions are a lot better. I have the 197 bhp version and only see an average of about 28 mpg

hora
    Free Member

Some people who read too many magazines complain about the ‘steering feel’

Every Honda I’ve driven has the same numb steering. I also drove an EP3- it shouted ALOT but didn’t seem to have the corresponding speed. I checked it for clutch slip- it was just a very wheezy engine. Oh and even though improved over the TypeS’s steering it was still artificial. From what I gather a charge leveled at the S2000 as well. ANY ‘performance’ car should have steering sorted as its first priority.

the_lecht_rocks

I’m on my second but this one is a genuine Mugen…

rhysw
    Free Member

Cheers for all the comments. I’m still not decided. I love my T5 but I really miss driving a nice car around

hora
    Free Member

You own a T5 and your considering a TypeR? 😯

ricdiggle
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for about a year now. Done 52,000 miles in it and cannot wait for it to go. It’s expensive to run, the ride is absolutely terrible and it’s just not fast. Mine uses a fair bit of oil and only feels at it’s best when it’s just been serviced.
    Don’t get me wrong, it has a lot going for it too. As long as you get a Type R GT with the LSD, the steering is fantastic and once you get it going, you don’t need to slow down much. The boot is like the tardis. I’ve had two bikes with both wheels fitted and all the gear in there no problem. The cockpit layout, whilst really ugly, is design genius in terms of ergonomics. I will miss this dearly when it goes.

Obviously, I do high mileage and that’s a big factor in my dislike of the car. I’m always uncomfortable in it, fuel economy is dire and, as mentioned above, it’s slower than a lot of other similar type cars on the road.

If you do limited annual mileage, need a big boot and don’t mind having to really rag the car to get the best out of it, you might just love it – It has a definite charm on b roads if you back is up to the abuse.

martinxyz
    Free Member

would the 2.2d not be quicker in many situations? It’s not every drive you’d be wanting to reach the vtec zone in the type r but the diesel would be on par with it on the likes of twisty roads with shorter straights in between. Would it kick in sooner and easily keep up on this type of road? I quite fancy one of the older diesel models.

Edit: I mean a drive that’s not flat out point to point where the type r would win hands down. Just a brisk drive but not going hell for leather?

hora
    Free Member

martinxyz I’d say 90% of the time it’d be more enjoyable. A modern diesel turbo would be more enjoyable but an alien concept to most petrolheads. I don’t own a diesel BTW but if your doing a fair mileage swiftly I’d go the diesel route with a good healthy torque figure…

Riding the torque of a good diesel is much smoother…less frustrating….

ALL IMO so please don’t become personally offended- its a car not your manhood :mrgreen:

therag
    Free Member

Had to sell mine before it cost me my licence. You will smile on every journey. Great car!

rhysw
    Free Member

Hora, have you driven a T5 ?

jota180
    Free Member

I road tested both the diesel and the petrol a few years back, I can confirm that the steering feels different but not really something I could put my finger on and nothing at all dangerous.
    The petrol under-steered but with the diesel lump in, it was much better.

julians
    Free Member

diesel better than type R petrol??? 8000 screaming RPM’s versus 4500 rpm? motorbike sound effects vs tractor/taxi sound effects? Super sharp turnin vs wallowy understeer? Sharp looking car vs boring ?

shakes head at people suggesting a diesel over the type R 😉

Seriously chaps – you’re saying that a diesel would be better than the type R for someone who is asking about the type R? I could see you point if the person was wanting a cheap easy to live with runabout, I wouldnt even suggest a type R in that case.

I think like all performance’ish cars you either get it or you dont, and if you dont get it theres no point paying more for it.

Golf GTI/any VAG product = boring.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, have you driven a T5 ?

That I admit not to. However it can’t be ‘bad’ enough to swap out for a TypeR?

julians – no I’m saying 90% of the time. On balance a diesel with decent torque would be better for more journeys.

Golf GTI/any VAG product = boring.

Hmmmmm that I’m inclined to agree with you

dougieb
    Free Member

Owned the older model Type-R, all in all it was a fast very reliable car. However, I wasn’t really sorry to see it go, always felt that you couldn’t relax in it – like the car was on edge all the time. Had a 170bhp TDI golf for 5 years now and it’s been a brilliant car, if I was buy again though would get a 140 TDI VAG as better economy.

julians
    Free Member

Hora – depends how you define better. Its not better in my book, would be far worse – I look forward to a drive in the wifes type R, its fun, if it were a diesel it’d just be a boring (but cheaper) journey.

hora
    Free Member

I hear you and agree however if it was your main car would you be happy with it 100% of the time? The EP3 was too noisy/hardcore for me. IF I had any money I’d buy a boring Mondeo and something like an Elise 🙂

toby1

It is a harsh ride, there’s no denying it. But driving a car with soft suspension is like giving into the nanny state and health and safety, you might as well all wear slippers and smoke you pipes in your cardigans all day long.

I actually find the car really relaxing to roll at 70 on the motorway in, pre-vtec revs it’s a pretty refined drive, post-it’s an animal.

Please note, I am also not a long distance driver per year, probably 12k at most.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If you enjoy driving up to the redline (where all the power of a vtech is) then they are great, in reality they are actually really slow, the older model is slightly quicker but I laugh when a new one pulls up next to my beast.

I wouldn’t touch one due to my Toyota loyalty but they are fairly decent cars, if you don’t mind driving the same as every wannabe boy racer 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Pik n mix what do you drive?

euain

I’ve the old shape – bought new in June 2002 and have done 110,000 miles since then. I’ve thought of changing it – but can’t think of anything I want more. It’s survived our 2 kids and done fine. It’s got isofix in the back as well if that’s an issue. We have done 2 adults, 2 kids, bikes (thule racks, 4 bikes!) and tent/camping crap for a week’s camping trip in it (packing is like a slightly squishy game of tetris) – so practicality is not an issue.

Reliability – hmm.. I’ve had to change some brake pads and the discs a couple of times (consumables, in other words), and one of the gaskets in the exhaust needed changed at about 95k. A couple of very minor niggles – but nothing that stopped you getting to work – but other than that, it’s not missed a beat.

About 30mpg all in. Servicing is not too bad at all – was about half the price of the Fiat Punto it replaced. I’ve long since stopped going to the Honda dealer though. Ride is harsh – no getting around that – but you get used to it. I think the new one is a bit more refined to drive in (maybe loses something in go-kart-like handling?). I really can’t think of a reason not to get one if you fancy it.

julians
    Free Member

yep – I’d drive one 100% of the time , I used to have an S2000 which is pretty similar in nature, owned it for 5 years, loved it.

Swapped the S2000 for an audi s3, but I hated it, the most boring fast car in the world, hated the turbo power delivery, hated the low rev limit, hated the way the power tailed off the higher up the rev range you got. Hated the way the throttle response was wooly. overall It had no depth of character.

Currently got an E92 M3 , which is similar in character to the civic type R ie not much low down torque, needs to rev to make it go fast, it is also ace.

Got a caterham 7 for weekends, another rev happy screamer.

I’ve decided I hate turbo charged engines (inc diesels), and the way they deliver power. Unfortunately though, due to emissions rules, turbos are the only way to get high’ish power and keep emissions low’ish, so we’re going to be seeing more and more of them.

hora
    Free Member

Julian which S3? If its the 1.8T I’d agree. With a remap its a whole lot better. Still as a car it was no-drama/sort of affair.

rhysw
    Free Member

Quite a debate I’ve started here.
    I want a fun car to drive, I’ve done the golf gt thing. I like the type r’s styling, the diesel one looks naff.
    It wether I want to be putting my dirty bike in the back,sometimes 5-6 days a week

TatWink
    Free Member

rhysw go for it, I think you’ll enjoy it. Great drivers cars and well resolved.

Hora – Are you the Stig?

legend
    Free Member

forget the type-r, keep the t5 and buy a dirt cheap mx-5 for your driving fun!

julians
    Free Member

hora – not the 1.8t, but the current model 2.0.

bryan-g-

I have had one for 5 years an had no problems, only expense I have ever had is tyres which it eats. It’s not bad on fuel unless you are having fun. The boot is big for a car of its size and there is a lot of leg room in the back and it goes like shit of a shovel.

This is in there, ok so the forks and chain set were of which I wouldn’t do for a day trip but I was on holiday for a week and had loads of other stuff.

bryan-g-

Chain set and forks removed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘2008-2010 Honda Civic Type R’ is closed to new replies.