Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2007 Stumpy now just about 100% perfect (for me)
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

New rear wheel fitted yesterday – Hope Pro 2 hub on Mavic xc717 rim and had a pair of Elixir CRs (from Juicy 5), an XT chainset, 990 cassette, 991 chain and some other bits fitted by a very good local mechanic. Bike is now running like a dream and it properly light. The OEM hub was the last "weak link" in the bike (Shimano M525) so glad to see the back of it – it was completely and utterly shot to pieces!

Anyone bored yet? Apologies.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Clearly you were all bored!

Just aqueezed a 12.5 miler in – utterly brilliant. The bike is now exactly as I always wanted it and specced to that of a rather expensive machine for about £2k in total. Upgraded list:

Elixir CRs
    Hope Pro2 rear/xc717, DT Swiss/Stout front
    XT chainset
    SRAM 990 cassette
    SRAM 991 chain
    X-9 shifter and rear mech
    XTR cables
    BBB carbon bar
    Thomson Elite post
    Spesh Phenom SL saddle (carbon/ti)
    Hope headset
    Hope skewers
    Spesh Sauserwind S Works tyres
    Spesh carbon bottle cage
    Some ti bolts

And that's about it!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh and it's a hardtail.

timc
    Free Member

I have the same bike with a lot of changes! any pics?

njee20
    Free Member

XC717? Unusual choice these days.

Seatpost, and I suspect bars, are heavy and you don't say what stem you have. They would be my targets next.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tim – this is before the new rear wheel was fitted:

That's it weightwise for now – it's plenty light enough. Much more and it'll get too fragile. Bar is 130ish grams, seatpost is just over 200g but super strong, stem is OEM and fine for me. The wheel combo gets rave reviews everywhere and it pretty light (920ish grams) so is fine for me.

Having done a MatEng degree I just don't trust carbon for certain parts (seatpost, stem).

I like it a lot! I'm no top level racer, just a fastish XCer. Did win an off road tri with it last year though.

ziggy
    Free Member

920 gram wheels? Each I presume.

What's wrong with carbon? Been on my bike for years now no issues, just make sure you buy good carbon, Easton or similar quality.

Like the black stealth look though.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ziggy – only got a new rear wheel (front is fine) so that weight is just for that one.

Carbon is very stiff but has iffy impact resistance and is almost impossible to repair. If I went for a top end frame, I'd go for Ti over carbon. It's great stuff (my bike has a few carbon bits) but I just don't 100% trust it for all applications.

It's just the right balance of strength and light weight now – for me.

redthunder
    Free Member

I love my Stumpy 2001 HT. Especially withe decent forks on the front. Use it more than the susser.

Me doing a mince tastic jump …

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cool pic! And of course – cool bike!

I've also got a 1997 fully rigid steel one – gave it to my dad – he loves it!

redthunder
    Free Member

Ultra Mincy …… 3 Inch Drop Off: NAILED 😉

foggy
    Free Member

Bet you styled it up when getting some airtime of that mutha! Woo hoo! 😈

warton
    Free Member

redthunder, had you just been for a game of football?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2007 Stumpy now just about 100% perfect (for me)’ is closed to new replies.