Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2007 carbon versus 2014 carbon (sorry, roadie content)
  • jonostevens
    Free Member

Hello all,

I’m thinking of getting a new roadie and relegating my 2007 Focus Cayo to my winter bike.

I like the look of some of the Ribble carbon bikes, especially given I can get one on the Bike to Work scheme, but could anyone please shed any light on how much carbon technology has moved on in 7 years (if at all)?

Would there be any noticeable difference between the 2007 carbon of my Cayo and an equivalent today? If there isn’t much, I might just buy some fancy bits for my full sus instead. 🙂

Thank you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LBS and test ride is the answer…

If its under a grand I’d be surprised if it was significantly better

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I’d say you could do better than a ribble.

Probably not the difference you are looking for unless you step up to something like a felt AR in terms of performance.

TiRed

At that price, the biggest difference will be geometry (if any). Even the most expensive carbon frames aren’t hugely better than cheaper ones. They will be a bit lighter, a bit stiffer and a lot more expensive.

Save your money or test ride a high end and a low end carbon frame to see if you can tell a difference.

I couldn’t tell any difference between a Giant Advanced and an Advanced SL, but could tell the Composite from the more expensive siblings.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

On that I beg to differ
    I tried the new Colnago c60 and it blew my socks off!

I don’t ride a cheap bike by any means but I could feel a fair difference.

As above though, ride as many as you can first.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2007 carbon versus 2014 carbon (sorry, roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.