Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2007 / 2008 year Golf GTi's
  • marcus
    Free Member

Lots of car experts on here, so are there any particualr issues to lookout for ? Whats the deal with DSG gearboxes ? Are they a semi automatic ?
    Ta

wwaswas

My wife’s had a 3 door manual for 21 months.

Other than having to keep an eye on the oil level it’s been fine (well bar new disks and pads all round but that was wear and tear).

jonnym92

Rust, rust and more rust. Check arches, sills and area surrounding the boot badge button.

DSG will have the flappy paddles.

They can go through oil, also ensure oil is changed regularly, would be good to have the pick up change as heard of sludge blocking them and starving the car of oil on higher mile cars.

njee20
    Free Member

DSG can do automatic, sport automatic, or you can use the paddles. It’s very good. IMO it’s a bit sloppier in the Mk5 than the Mk6 (which in turn is a bit less good than the Mk7), but that’s possibly in part to the older/higher mileage mk5s I’ve driven.

I’ve got a mk6 GTI and it’s fantastic, love it. Nowt else to add other than the above. Spec was comparatively poor from new, but options don’t really affect second hand value, so look for a higher spec one.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had a new 57 plate with recaros and xenon’s. It’s one of the best cars I have owned. It wasn’t without its downsides but overall it was great. The interior wasn’t built as well as the mk4 and it wasn’t particularly fast 7.1 to 60. When I bought it 200bhp was the default for a hot hatch but that seems to be 300 now. It drunk expensive oil which is normal for them. It is a car for all occasions though. Not bad on fuel (about 25mpg) and Wouldn’t look out of place on tesco car park or parked in between to super cars.
    I had the choice of an r32 or gti and picked the gti. The r32 felt like a heavy car and the gti was more fun. I would of had the dsg in the r32 but the gti felt better as a manual. The r 32 sounded miles better though and gti’s always sound like they have a blowing exhaust.

wingnuts

Had one for about 3 months now and love it. Got a 5 door 07 with 38k on the clock. Heavy on the right foot means the juice disappears rapidly but completely outweighed by the enjoyment factor. Keeping an eye on the oil as it seems to use a little bit. Nothing excessive but commensurate with driving style. No signs of any bodywork or suspension issues but low miles for year and only one owner might be the reason for that. Completely manual so no DSG issues. Go for it if the price and history are right.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Nothing much to add to the above. I’d buy based on FSH and general condition. Theere shouldn’t be any major hidden gremlins. Main points:

– Check everywhere for rust, especially the wheel arches.
    – Full service history with regular oil changes (personally I’d avoid a long life service interval car in preference to one serviced on time and distance, if possible).
    – If it’s got the dual zone automatic climate control, check it works fully. Flaps can stick and cause it to blow hot one side/cold the other etc.

Drapoon
    Free Member

Owned one for the past 7 years & the reason I have kept it so long is I could not think what to replace it with!

My experience has been great however a couple of common issues worth pointing out

rear calipers can seize causing pads to drag. Means new pistons and rebuild.
    The rust issues mentioned are mainly front wings where inner arch liner rubs and is covered under a 12 year paint warranty providing they are original paint
    The optional 18″ monza 2 alloys looks loads better compared to the 17’s however they are diamond cut face one small chips can lead to terrible white corrosion. These wheels cost a packet to refurb ( had mine done)
    Early cars had diverter valves which split – should be ok on 2007+
    rear 3rd brake light in the rear spoiler fails and the numpties designed it so you either remove the spoiler (it’s tiger sealed on so need to use a cheesewire!) to unbolt it or you have to smash it out from the outside

My solid black (rare) 3 door with rare electric sunroof, satnav, dual climate control and heated cloth seats will be up for sale soon. Decided to go for an M135i. I would like a silver 3 door one with black leather which seems to be impossible as all the ones I have found have red leather…eughh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2007 / 2008 year Golf GTi's’ is closed to new replies.