Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2006 Orange 5 vs 2012 Giant Trance
  • roverpig

OK, fresh from playing around with a 29er that I was lent, I’m now going to try another comparison.

In a moment of wine-fuelled ebay madness I bought an old (2006) Orange 5 frame a little while back. I’ve just finished putting it together with a view to seeing how this old single pivot bike compares with my new multi pivot one. Haven’t had a chance to ride it in anger yet, so this is just a holding post and a place where I can post any observations as they occur.

So, for now, just a couple of pictures. Both look pretty good to me 🙂

Trance

Orange

u02sgb
    Free Member

Cool, has the shock on the 5 had a recent service? I’d expect that it relies on the damping being in good condition to work well (although that’s not through experience).

Stu.

roverpig

Not sure about the service history of the shock to be honest. One of the joys of buying off ebay ! All the adjustments seem to work i.e. propedal stiffens it up etc. But so far it’s just had a few shakedown runs (to make sure nothing falls off). I’ll hopefully get a proper ride on it over the weekend. If the geometry seems basically OK then I might get the shock serviced to see what difference that makes.

Cheers,

Andy

ads678

If the five rides any thing like my 2005 you’ll love it. Yours should be better as mine still has the old swinger air shock that is apparently shit.

mildred

In my opinion the 2006 incarnation was the best of the 5’s. I don’t like the newer slacker version as I find it to be too sanitised or dull.

The 2006 has a slightly steeper head angle and works best with 130mm forks, though 140’s are fine too.

stufive
    Free Member

Everyone should have a five 😉

ddmonkey

I had a 2006 5 frame, ace fun bike but yes the quality of the rear shock makes big difference to the ride. I loved mine. I wonder if its still going strong somewhere…

roverpig

The Orange has some dual position revs 120 or 150. So, I’m guessing that will either be too little or too much then 🙂

Cheers,

Andy

ElVino

That’s my bike exactly apart from colour, looking forward to hearing how it compares to a more modern suspension bike.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

You’ll live the 2006 five……I loved mine especially the brake jack, low bottom bracket, the 5″ head tube on a small size frame, oh and the out of line rear wheel.

roverpig

Well that was fun 🙂

I took the Orange on a two hour blast over and around Bennachie this morning. A route I’ve ridden a few times on the Trance. Nothing particularly technical, but some climbs, rocky bits, boggy bits etc.

Based on … well just on the way it looks really, I’d expected the Orange to be solid, dependable, maybe even agricultural. In fact the words that seemed to describe it best were, lively and fun. It’s a bike that just wants to play, which wasn’t really what I was expecting at all.

I started off with a gentle fire road climb (lockout & propedal on), which was uneventful. I had the forks wound down to 120mm. I then came to a steep loose climb (turn off lockout/propedal), which I’ve failed to get up the last few times on the Trance and got up it no problem, which was a pleasant surprise. Now I have cleared it on the Trance once or twice as well, so I may have just got lucky, or maybe the vegetation has died back a bit. It did seem easier to move the Orange around though and it felt more stable at low speed. On the steepest section there are two line choices. One is tough at the start (never cleared it) then easier, the other starts smoother then has bigger bumps. With the Orange I was able to start on one then pop across to the other line half way up, which I’ve never managed before. But, as I say, I may have just got lucky.

The next section is a drag up to the top, which is on the limit for me physically. I couldn’t ride all the way up a few months ago, but now I can, just. I left propedal off (because this is what I do on the Giant) and prepared to suffer. And suffer I did, but I still managed to ride all the way.

Once at the top I set the forks to 150mm and tackled a boggy and rocky section. This has lots of deep but narrow holes and I found the Orange a bit of a handful here. It was hard to keep on top of the front wheel and it felt a bit like riding a Bronco. It might just be a case of getting used to the feel with the longer travel, but I’d be tempted to leave it at 120mm for this section next time.

Riding across the top (rocky path) it felt great and again it was its ability to scramble up loose steep bits that really surprised me. A few time I rode up some obstacle before realizing that it was something that had given me problems in the past.

Coming down was fun, but I did feel that the back end was more flexible than the Trance. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing and contributed to the general lively feeling of the ride, but it could be a problem if you really wanted to push it. I suspect that this extra flex was also a factor in the way it was able to get up steep technical stuff, with the back able to move around rocks a bit more.

As I said I’d expected the Orange to be the solid dependable one of the two. In fact the opposite is true. The Trance is totally dependable. It’s a real skill compensator, which is great if, like me, you have no skills. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve messed something up (either because I didn’t see it in time or just rode it badly) and have been left thinking “wow, how am I still upright”. The Trance is a great go anywhere, do anything bike that will never let you down and encourages you to keep on pushing it. The Orange is the fun bike that brings a big grin to my face, but I do wonder if one day it may get me in trouble (when the back steps out of line unexpectedly, for example).

I’d also expected that the Orange would be better going down but worse going up. In fact, the biggest surprise was how good the Orange was at going up stuff. It seemed no worse on fire road type climbs and much better on loose rocky climbs. Going down they were probably about the same, although I’ve ridden the Trance a lot more of course so have more confidence pushing it.

The two fork travel options were a bit of a surprise too. It was great having the choice and really made it feel like two bikes. I’m not sure why multi-travel options aren’t more popular really although I wish Rockshox had made the handlebar remote control the travel rather than the lockout. In general the Orange felt much better at 120mm than I’d expected but not as good (more of a handful) at 150mm as I’d hoped. I expected that I’d use the 120mm just for climbing and 150mm for everything else. In fact I think 120mm was better for climbs and for anything technical (rock gardens etc) with 150mm being better for smoother trails and going down.

Interestingly, I’d taken it for a quick spin around the block yesterday, to make sure nothing was going to break or fall off today and 150mm felt much better than 120mm on the roads. At 120mm it just felt too steep and like I was too far over the front wheel. But, as I say, it felt great once I hit the trails. I guess this shows how limited test rides around a car park are.

Of course the Trance doesn’t have multi-position forks, which brings us to the problems with this test. Leaving aside the fact that I knew which bike I was riding (which means there is so much potential for observer bias that any scientist would consider the results to be meaningless), there are more differences between these two bikes than just the frame. These include:

Rockshox Revelation RLT dual position (120/150) forks on the Orange and Fox F125RL forks on the Trance.

An old Fox RP23 shock (with unknown service history) on the Orange vs a new Fox RP2 shock on the Trance.

75mm stem and wider bars on the Orange vs 110mm stem and narrower bars on the Trance.

Hope Hoops with ZTR Flow EX rims running tubeless on the Orange vs Giant wheels with tubes on the Trance (both had Nobby Nic tyres running at 30psi though).

So, whether the differences I’ve noted are really down the frame or some combination of the above is open for debate.

The bottom line though, was that I really enjoyed riding the Orange. It may be six year old technology but really I couldn’t say that it’s any worse than the modern Trance, just different (more fun, better on technical climbs but less solid feeling). In fact, the only thing that I really missed from the Trance was the dropper post that I’ve installed (which wont fit in the 27.2mm seat tube of the Orange).

Cheers,

Andy

specializedneeds

Nice bike, I’ve the 2005 version. Recently went from 130 Revs to the 150/120’s like yours, great fork. The bolt through and black box damping are great compared to the 130’s and Q/R. Anyway, at the same time I also swaped to low rise bars (from mid-rise), took out the stem spacers (at least 10mm IIRC) and fitted a zero rise stem. With this, my riding position is approx. the same as before, so I mostly leave it at 150mm and climb at 120mm, like you expected. Looks like you could do the same, from the photo, if you wanted. Static head angle at 150mm, hope headset, is 68 degrees according to iPhone clinometer app.

specializedneeds

Bolt through hub at the back too (on the Q/R drop outs). Using a Hadley axle, nicely made / designed and lasting well. Not sure it was worth th extra over a Hope ‘bolt-in’ hub? Haven’t noticed any flex, but that might say more about me than the frame?

joeegg
    Free Member

I had a 2006 Orange 5 for a year and was deeply disappointed,especially with all the hype that surrounds a 5.
    Didn’t change to a Trance but a Reign.
    Beautifully equipped,built and balanced bike.Loads cheaper to buy as well.Hated riding the 5 in the end and was glad to see the back of it.
    I’ve ridden a lot and the angles and dimensions on the 2006 5 just didn’t seem right.

roverpig

Thanks. Guess we’re all different as I really enjoyed the Five and can’t wait to ride it again.

I’m reluctant to drop the bars to make it better at 150mm in case it makes it worse at 120mm where is was really surprisingly good. But I guess it would be easy enough to move a spacer from under the stem and I could put it back on the trail if I didn’t like it.

There is also an issue that I forgot to mention with the size. The Trance is a Large (20″) where the Orange is 18″. I spent a long while trying to decide between M and L with the Trance and I’m still not sure if the Orange is the right size. Being smaller makes it easier to chuck around though.

The flex could have been in my head of course, but it didn’t feel as tight as the Trance.

Cheers

Andy

roverpig

A quick update:

I took the Five for a couple of rides over the weekend; The Hammer on the Moray Monster Trails (climb and a bit of singletrack) and the Black Bridge Loop from the Garmin.connect site (3-4 hours of landrover tracks and bog hopping in the Highlands).

Following the advice from specializedneeds (thanks) I moved the 25mm spacer from under the stem to drop the bars, which really helped the handling at 150mm. It’s now basically as I wanted it, so I’m riding with it at 150mm most of the time and dropping to 120mm for technical climbs.

It took a little while to get used to the slower steering with it at 150mm, but after a little while I started to really enjoy it. The bike feels very lively and fun at 150mm.

The biggest surprise is still how well it climbs though (especially dropped down to 120mm). It’s not that it is fast up the hills (I’ve not done comparative timed tests yet so can’t say), it’s more a case of how slow you can go. It just feels very stable and has a lot of grip. In fact I did something at the weekend that I’ve never done before; I basically stopped for a couple of seconds going up a climb but didn’t need to put a foot down and just carried on. It wasn’t planned and I didn’t realized I’d done it until afterwards, but it brought home to me how stable it feels going up the steep stuff.

The ride on the way down still feels more sketchy than the Trance. I thought this might be the 150mm forks, but even wound down to 120mm the feeling is still there. I said before that it was flexing more, but now I’m not sure. It could actually be stiffer than the Trance at the back, which causes it to be knocked about more by the rocks. Either way the result is that the Trance isolates you more from the trail, making it easier to just point it down and let it go. Of course a bit of extra trail feel is not necessarily a bad thing and the Five is (in my mind) more fun. But maybe not as fast.

It will be interesting to get back on the Trance when it (finally) returns from the shop. But the more I ride the Five the more I like it. For the sort of natural trail riding (on my own) that I do it seems ideal. I’m not actually bothered about how fast I am but just want to have fun and the ability to ride up stuff is more important than speed going down.

Cheers,

Andy

roverpig

I’ve managed to twist my knee (putting the mockers on a test ride of a Rocket that I had lined up with the good folk at CycleWorld in Arbroath), so while I’m feeling sorry for myself I thought I’d conclude this comparison.

I’ve now ridden the Five on a range of routes; from 5 hour days in the Highlands to blue, red and black routes at some trail centres (Pitfichie, Balblair and Carbisdale) and I’ve come to the conclusion that the Five is better at the extremes and the Trance is better everywhere else. By which I mean that I can get up some steep technical climbs on the Five that I can’t manage on the Trance (or at least get up them more often) and I can ride down some stuff that I wimp out of on the Trance, but for 90% of the ride the Trance feels smoother and more solid. This actually makes it quite a hard call for me. I tend to define success on a ride by the toughest thing I’ve managed to ride up or down. Most of my routes contain bits that I can’t manage (which is what keeps bringing me back) and if I ever clear them there are plenty of tougher things waiting in the wings. So, for me, the Five wins. It may not be as refined most of the time, but it’s good enough.

Of course, you could equally well argue that you should choose a bike for the 90% of the ride and not the 10% and if I were mainly riding routes that were in my comfort zone I’d take the Trance (and hit them a bit harder).

Finally, the qualifier. This isn’t really a comparison between a Trance and a Five. The Trance is a stock 2012 X2 model, but the Five was put together from second hand bits (2006 frame etc). For example, the Five uses dual position 120/150mm forks (compared with the 125mm on the Trance). The Five also has a shorter stem and wider bars than the Trance (and is a smaller bike overall). It’s possible that putting a longer (or variable length) fork, shorter stem and wider bars on the Trance would result in a bike that beat the Five everywhere. But I’m actually quite taken with the old Five and will probably move the Trance on when it gets back from the shop. Still fancy trying something lower and slacker though (newer Five, Rocket) and I probably shouldn’t rule out bigger wheels just yet. Decisions, decisions…

Cheers,

Andy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2006 Orange 5 vs 2012 Giant Trance’ is closed to new replies.