Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2006 Giant Trance – bearing removal tools?
  • benz
    Free Member

My old Trance is in need of a ‘freshen-up’, all components on the frame are sound but the frame itself is still in that particular Giant colour scheme of the time….

So….I’d like to strip the frame and get it powder coated at Bettablast or Triple-S and build it up 1×10.

However I do not know what tools I will need to pull bearings, etc.

Anyone give some guidance please?

Thanks.

Wally
    Goldigger
    Free Member

I made my own on my milling machine, for my 2009 Anthem. There’s no way I’d pay the price for the giant tool kit.
    If I had access to your frame I’d offer to make them for you for a small fee.

What bearings does your trance have? Might be the same as my anthem.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joeegg
    Free Member

I just used a U clamp and various size sockets to remove and fit the bearings on my Reign.Need to protect the paintwork on the frame from the U clamp though.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you get the bearing codes and then order the Superstar bearing tools they should pop out no problem, unless they are blind bearings with no access to the rear.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You’ll struggle on a couple of them without the proper tools because of the shape of the frame.
    If you try sockets/threaded bar/vice etc. you’ll run the risk of damaging the paint ( not massive problem if you’re having it painted) the bearing getting jammed as it tries to come out at at angle or damaging the seat that the bearing presses into as it won’t press out square.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah the ones at the top of the seat stay can be quite tricky to extract.

theotherjonv

I got some for my anthem of Kaesae via ebay. Most of them could be bodged with a socket set, but the ones on the seatstay have a canted recess, so a socket won’t sit right. For this Kaesae made an alu socket and then ground it at the same angle to fit on the seatstay.

Wally

And the ones on the seatstay are the ones that go first.

emac65
    Free Member

Various sized sockets & a couple of these bad boys sorted out the bearings on mine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2006 Giant Trance – bearing removal tools?’ is closed to new replies.