Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2005 Vectra – any owners in? Having a few issues
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Long story short, I got a new job which I start in a couple weeks. I have a company truck just now so I need to get a car for new job. Don’t have a pile of cash sitting so need a cheap motor. Brother in law just bought new car and has given me his old Vectra.

So, it needs an MOT. Which it won’t pass as the suspension needs work. That’s fine though as I’ll sort that myself.

It’s a 2005 1.8 petrol. In decent condition and will certainly do me for now until I squirel some cash away for something else.

It’s been sat for 6 weeks doing nothing. Went to get it tonight and the bugger wouldn’t start. It did sound like it might so with a little persuasion I did eventually get it running. This is good.

But, once running I press the accelerator and nothing? It was like the cable was disconnected. Foot to the floor and nothing – it just continued to idle.
    This is odd I thought. So I turn it off and try again but the same thing. Tried a few times but no joy.

I went inside and had a cup of tea. Thought I’ll give it one more go and hey presto! It starts no bother and the accelerator works as it should! Great! So I jump in and drive it home. On the way home it behaves as it should and all is good.

Anyone experienced this before?

I’m happy to sort out the suspension but my worry is that it does this again. If it’s going to be unreliable it’s not worth me sinking money into it to get through MOT. I don’t want to keep having to throw money into it, but it would be great if it could be reliable as I need to get a few months out of it to allow me to save up for something else.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers

dekadanse
    Free Member

I don’t want to sound negative but….get it fixed as cheaply as possible and sell it quick!

GM cars are noted as they get older for their dodgy electrics and wiring, and for everything (including the suspension) having its self-destruct date looming. It therefore gets very hard to keep everything on an even keel (sorry for the nautical metaphor) as something is always going wrong.

Sorry, but you asked……..

hora
    Free Member

‘I got a new job’

‘Hi, yes sorry Im late again’.

Tallpaul

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Possibly as a result of it standing for 6 weeks.

Is the throttle cable actuated or does it use a potentiometer in the pedal?

Cable operation is pretty much binary. Potentiometers can get dirty and given intermittent faults, but would probably generate a code if you can scan the OBD. My bet is still a gremlin in the fuel system that you’ve now cleared.

therevokid
    Free Member

work mate has had similar issues … his turned out to be the high
    pressure fuel pump – not cheap apparently !

rc200f8
    Free Member

1.8 vectras dont have a high pressure fuel pump so it wont be that. Therevokids mates is likely to be a 2.2 direct injection where this is a common problem. I would check and clean out the throttle body 1st – can of carb cleaner and an old toothbrush and a gasket if you want to remove the throttle body and clean it properly. Push the throttle flap open with your fingers or a screw driver and clean the flap and where it contacts the housing. The flap may be sticking with contamination, its fly by wire, no cable.
    Just re read post, may even be low battery voltage and the ecm relearning ldle speed, which it can struggle with if the throttle valve is contaminated.

tron
    Free Member

High mileage Vauxhalls are horrendous to run. That’s why every other minicab is a Vectra. 🙄

It will most likely have a drive by wire throttle, I suggest getting onto Vauxhall and SAAB forums and asking if anyone has a “tech 2” diagnostics machine and can pull the codes off.

I’d chuck it at an MOT and see how you go on the suspension. It can crash and bang for a very long time before it starts failing MOTs. You should keep your suspension sorted, but if you just need a stop gap and don’t know how much is w wrong with the car, just put it in for the test.

cyclistm
    Free Member

You can read some of the codes by pressing brake and accelerator together and turning ignition key to the second position. Fault codes will be displayed on the odometer.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

many thanks everyone 🙂

This is a non mechanical cable for the throttle. I think a replacement is about £30 but I’ll need to find someone with a code reader to make sure it is that.

Pretty sure it’s broken an ARB drop link too – years ago I had a Cavalier which used to break them all the time. It’s a fairly easy job.

The suspension though! It’s shocking Tron! I think my brother in law just turned up the radio lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2005 Vectra – any owners in? Having a few issues’ is closed to new replies.