Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 2005 enduro vs my new ibis mojo HD
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, Julian, like others have said you want it set-up right with the pro-pedal off. The way the DW link works doesn’t lend itself to platform shocks. I only use PP on long climbs and tarmac, even then it’s set to 1. Like Vinneyeh says, use less rebound than you would think too.
    40% sag and you’ll need steel toe-capped boots on rocky stuff and you’ll bottom out on any drops over 2ft.
    You’re right about it being harsher on smoother stuff than a four bar but it should open up on the rough. It does take a few rides to bed in, I’ve had to put 10psi extra in after I thought it was set-up perfect (I haven’t been at the pies!). My last bike had a VPP linkage which was more sensitive too but I find the DW uses its travel better and doesn’t bottom out as easily.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

05 enduros were ace, still not sure why i did not buy one.

geetee1972
    Free Member

05 enduros were ace, still not sure why i did not buy one.

Because they had a nasty habit of snapping at the juncture of the left hand chainstay and BB.

Broke two myself.

Oh and I cracked the mainframe.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Well, there was that. Did they give you a new one?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well, there was that. Did they give you a new one?

You know the very nice chaps at Spesh UK did give me a new one, a ‘not yet released to the public’ (at the time) 2010 Enduro in fact. ]

I sold it and bought a Nicolai!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Result!

julians
    Free Member

Further update:-

went on a decent ride tonight, and it seems the faster you go the smoother the back end gets. it really is pretty good over the proper rough stuff at speed.

Need to get the front end sorted now and stop the twanginess I seem to be feeling – fox 36 talas RLC FIT forks, probably just need more rebound damping.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That sounds much better – there’s always an element of acclimatisation with any new bike, especially if you’ve had your old one for a number of years.

honourablegeorge

Was in Llandegla at the weekend, awfully nice Mojo HD in my size in the shop, Crank Bros wheels and Fox 36s. It called out to me. I resisted, just.

julians
    Free Member

So, its been a couple of weeks since I last updated this, and I’ve been on a few more rides.

At the point of my last update I was thinking that the bike is a better climber than the enduro, but about the same in terms of going downhill.

I’ve now decided that its a much better climber than the enduro, and it also goes downhill quite a bit better. It seems to have a big depth of ability that takes a while to find out (that or the suspension takes some breaking in and setting up).

The faster you go the smoother it gets it seems, there must be a limit to this but so far I havent found it. In terms of going downhill I’m finding at the moment that its the forks (and my ability) stopping me from going faster, whereas on the enduro it was the back end holding me back.

Not sure if the forks need to break in some more, but they definately dont seem as smooth as the back end.

On the undulating stuff, it goes well, as is noticably easier to keep the momentum up and accelerate.

Weighed it on some more accurate scales and it came out at 29.2lb.

That’ll be it for updates from me, but I’m pretty pleased with the purchase. Theres no doubt its a very expensive bike, but in my opinion its worth it, and is generally every bit as good as the reviews say it is, and I’m not saying that just because I bought one.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The main thing is that you’re having fun on it :D. Enjoy!

dreednya

I feel the same about my SL coming from a broken Heckler. Much better climber, descender and also better on contours single track. Not sure if it is twice as good as the Heckler was very goof VFM, but I wouldn’t go back :).

I had a similar problem coming from an ’06 Enduro to my current bike – an ’08 S-Works Enduro.

I bought the frame, forks, shock etc in ’09 and built the rest up to my own spec.

The ’06 was so plush and nailed DH’s with ease, but at around 33lbs I got sick of dragging it uphill and the propedal on the DHX air wasn’t exactly effective.

So, to the new bike (not so new now) – built it up and rode it for 6 months before a lay off due to working away. The small bump sensitivity on the proprietory shocks has always been reported as poor and this was apparent with the bike feeling skittish. Big hits and drops are great and the fork is so stiff. At around 28lbs and pro pedal that stiffens the rear end very effectively it climbs like a dream, allowing me to clean stuff I’d never managed before.

The BB on the old Enduro was low – to the point that I ended up putting it in the high frame setting to avoid pedal strikes and improve climbing. In contrast the newer Enduro has a higher BB and I use it in the low frame setting. Initially I had the sat on it, rather than in it feeling, but seem to have now dialled in the positioning after getting back on it following an 18 month lay off.

I don’t know if I’ve just got used to the skittishness, or if it has bedded in, however I’m now feeling more in tune with the bike – maybe as intimated elsewhere I’ve just forgotten how good the old Enduro was.

To sum up, I’m happy with the bike and 90% of the time it beats the ’06 hands down, just lacks a little bit DH, but when I put things in perspective it is by far a better all round bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘2005 enduro vs my new ibis mojo HD’ is closed to new replies.