Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2004 Airborne Lucky Strike – would I notice an improvement?
  • mosschops
    Free Member

Bikes in the shop this week getting the brakes sorted and I’ve just stuck a 08 REBA on it (replacing a Pace Pro Class 2 – soon to be in classifieds) And it got me thinking would there be any significant improvment in replacing any of the 04 bits ?Here’s the inventory

Airborne Ti Lucky Strike Frame
    Mavic 317 Disc wheels DT spokes Hope XC hubs Panaracer XC tyres
    Full XT drivetrain
    Hope mini brakes
    Easton carbon monkeylight bars ODI lockon grips EA50 stem Hope XC headset
    Easton Carbon seatpost Speed V saddle

So what wold you change for maximum £ for lb improvement?

MC

mboy
    Free Member

Best improvement on that lot for me would definitely be the forks (which you’ve already done), and secondly the brakes. Look at some new Shimano XT/XTR possibly, or some Avid Ultimates or the like perhaps. They should be lighter and more powerful and more reliable than your old Mini’s.

Other than that, I’d change the saddle (but I hate WTB saddles, you must like them) and that would be about it. Replace anything else only when worn out.

mosschops
    Free Member

Yeah, the guy in the shop did a lot of chin stroking a teeth sucking when he saw the mini’s Seems they are not quite the reliability darlings they were thought of in 04 Although I’m getting the seals replaced and sticking phenolic pistons in to stop expansion brake rub..

cheers!

Bladerunner
    Free Member

Hi Mosschops

I to am the proud owner of a Lucky Strike
    She is only taking a break while I try my first full susser
    Totally agree with fork and disc upgrades
    Nothing else you have good taste
    I am running same wheels as u pace forks with lock out same bars and seatpost was using juicy 7s for stopping oh a gobi on my butt my headset is a chris king 🙂
    In my view she is the perfect hardtail and I will never part with her in fact if she breaks I will hang her on the wall lol

Alan aka Bladerunner

XC_PK
    Free Member

Well I like my old Mini’s even if everyone else doesn’t! Significant improvements-SPD’s?? Or get some lighter weight inner tubes.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d change the EA50 stem ‘cos it’s a bit average really…!

mosschops
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a shorter stem (90mm at presnet) and wider bars (24″ at the moment) any recommendations?

MC

saladdodger
    Free Member

Same as XC PK mini’s are fine for me for the past 5 years just get them set up right in the first place

Jobs a good un

Ok the pace forks are pants too much maintenance required (on the set I had)as for the rest of your “build if it aint broken”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2004 Airborne Lucky Strike – would I notice an improvement?’ is closed to new replies.