• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2003 onwards VW Polo Auto
  • jackf

Hoping the wonder of STW can point me in the direction for things to look out for when purchasing an early auto Polo.

Any horror stories or things to look for/avoid? They all look about the same about 50K on the clock 1.4 auto?

joshvegas
    Free Member

We picked up a 58 polo 1.4 16valve 6spd dsg with 38000. It was 3500 if i recall from a dealer after we forced a new timingbelt and waterpump on them. Not that easy to find!

She wanted an auto to get driving having never really used a car from passing her test 10 years ago.

Its spectacularly slow.

Other than that i like it alot especially in traffic.

Can do a long outdoor weekend with two bikes in the back and gear for a number of activities.

Straight through MOT no major issues so far.

I’ll confess it makes me a bit nervous that when the box goes pop its a quick way of burrning some ££££

angeldust
    Free Member

Build and trim quality from around that era were not the best. At up to 15 years old, I don’t know where to start on the things that could be wrong. 50K is very low mileage for a car that age. Only looking at cars owned by OAP’s for weekly trip to Tesco?

sbob
    Free Member

Only looking at cars owned by OAP’s for weekly trip to Tesco?

Lots of small autos will be motability cars used exactly as you describe.
    This means rigidly adhered to service schedules.

angeldust
    Free Member

Lots of small autos will be motability cars used exactly as you describe.

Which are usually kept from new for 2/3 years max under the government scheme? The vehicles the OP is describing (2003 is 15 years ago) will have been owned privately for the vast majority of their life, and may not have been serviced so rigorously…

sbob
    Free Member

angeldust – Member

Which are usually kept from new for 2/3 years max under the government scheme? The vehicles the OP is describing will have been owned privately for the vast majority of their life, and may not have been serviced so rigorously.

Lots of motability cars are bought by the same user after three years because they’ll be used to the car and old people fear change. You’ll find that there are plenty of cars like this that are very well looked after.

Wouldn’t touch VAG with yours though. Their reputation for reliability is a product of old people still comparing 70s offerings to British Leyland shite, and the preponderance due to their marketing department.
    I’d err towards Jap, but as ever at that age condition is key.

matt_outandabout

Yaris or Corolla/Auris of that age will be much more reliable and cheaper to buy and run imo.

That said, the 1.4 engine is so simple and cheap to work on. We have it in a 2012 Seat Ibiza ST.

Nico
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch VAG with yours though. Their reputation for reliability is a product of old people still comparing 70s offerings to British Leyland shite, and the preponderance due to their marketing department.

Very true, though it was BMP responsible for the advertising.
    It would have been more accurate if they’d said “durable” rather than reliable.

kormoran
    Free Member

Iv’e got an 07 1.2 but manual. Picked it up with 25k on the clock and nine years old, normally I would run a mile but I knew the history intimately (family car) so took a punt.

It’s a good car, small but with seats down swallows heaps. It’s a bit pants around town – small mirrors, gutless engine unless revved but on A roads and motorways excellent. I’m running winters and it’s all remarkably quite nd relaxing

Loads about so plenty of choice

kormoran
    Free Member

I forget to add fuel consumption is poor – low mid 40’s. Disappointing for a small engine but it is at least 10 year old tech. Not sure what the 1.4 does but i doubt it’s any better.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Stupidly bought one a couple of years ago, total pile of crap, it was a brief hiatus from buying Japanese motors, thank God i’ve got my senses back.

jackf

Cheers all. My research throws up no big scares. Just general stuff for a car that age. I’d only go FSH and make sure the belts been done. Auto boxes aren’t my strong point.

As above the car is for my parnter to get back into driving. Most cars appear to be 1 or 2 (presumably older) owners…

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’d have an auto Jazz instead. I used to dislike them but I have a grudging respect for them now, older ones still look pretty fresh in their styling, they are a lot bigger inside than they appear on the outside and they have the legendary bullet proof Honda mechanicals. I can’t beleive how cheap they can go for now – they don’t attract the premium prices VW do.

angeldust
    Free Member

sbob – Member

Lots of motability cars are bought by the same user after three years because they’ll be used to the car and old people fear change. You’ll find that there are plenty of cars like this that are very well looked after

Any evidence for this? As above, my (trade based) experience of OAP’s on the motability scheme is that they replace their vehicle for a new one after every 2 years.

I thought the usual STW advice 🙄 dictated that actually high mileage cars were the ones to go for rather than those that sat on a driveway unused 95% of the time for 15 years? 😉

sbob
    Free Member

angeldust – Member

Any evidence for this?

Only my own experience of buying several ex-motability vehicles for me and friends/family.

As above, my (trade based) experience of OAP’s on the motability scheme is that they replace their vehicle for a new one after every 2 years.

That’s interesting that your (trade based) experience is at odds with the motability scheme itself:

How the Scheme works

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to use their government-funded mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair every three years

How many ex-motability cars have you bought and sold?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2003 onwards VW Polo Auto’ is closed to new replies.