Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2001 Volvo V70
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I met someone who’s selling one of these – apparently a 2.4 litre petrol automatic estate for £900. It should be in good condition (knowing the selling). I wasn’t thinking about buying anything like that, but I imagine it might be good for carting bikes around! I just wondered what they’re like to drive and own – I imagine they’re comfortable and good for long journeys, but don’t handle well. He reckons he gets 30mpg (driving steadily) which doesn’t sound good. They’re probably expensive to maintain, too. 30mpg makes me wonder about an LPG conversion, although I have no experience of these.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We had a 2000 T5. Heavy cars but went really well. Masses of space inside, very comfortable and you feel well protected. Brakes very powerful (better than the XC90 which surpised me).

Issues are:
    MPG is prob what you’ve been told
    There were issues with the throttle bodies on these but I’m positive that car would have been fixed if it had ever had the problem.
    Front tyre wear
    Used to go through droplinks quite often but easy and cheap to fix yourself

sofaboy73
    Free Member

imagine driving an oil tanker – that

in all honesty the V70’s are the direct descendants of their old school estates and they pretty much invented the category – so yes, they’re awesome at what they do. if you want space, comfort and safety you’d struggle to find better. engines are usually strong still after 150,000+ miles, however they are not as bullet proof as they used to be and 90’s to early naughties they went through a rough patch with reliability (one of their original cornerstones of sucess) – in no way helped by fords ownership.

not particularly cheap to fix for major faults with original parts and older ones are thirsty, but if you want a wagon for road trips i think there are few better (but then again i like saabs also)

i’d get a mecahnic to give it a once over before committing

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stu170
    Free Member

I had a 97 v70 with the non turbo 2.5 petrol engine, with manual box in it. Paid only £200 for the big tank. Mpg was an issue, only getting mid twenties out of it, but now I struggle to get 20 in the jag.
    It swallowed bikes no problems, and was incredibly comfortable, and actually handled really well if you were chucking it about. I loved it.

RustyNissanPrairie

We’ve had a 2.4 auto on a 54 plate V70 for 6years and do my own spannering on it.

Awesome huge cars and will cross continents quickly and with ease. Tie themselves in knots over fast B roads. Not an involving drive but the best seats ever fitted to a car. Indestructible interiors.

The 30mpg is a little optimistic ours is averaging 27 but bulletproof 5cylinder NA engine with no diesel DMF/injector issues to worry about.

Check the handbrake assembly – ours needed a rebuild and new cables due to it not being used hardly.
    Factor in new wishbone at 100k (and drop links) and ours is needing top strut bearings, spring seats, alarm back up battery and ABS reluctor rings at 140k miles.
    Pull the auto box dipstick – if the fluid is black then walk away, boxes need regular flushing/changes for longevity.
    There is a way of pulling up fault codes – involves pressing fog light button and ignition (Google it-I’m half pissed)
    Fully galv’d bodies so no rust issues.
    Genuine parts are ok price wise but they are complex cars and can get expensive if you can’t spanner them yourself. Fairly easy to work on. Chinese cloned VIDA diagnostics are essential (£80).

Would buy another tomorrow if ours exploded – or an XC90

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Awesome huge cars and will cross continents quickly and with ease. Tie themselves in knots over fast B roads. Not an involving drive but the best seats ever fitted to a car. Indestructible interiors.

Yep. I have an ’02 in the AWD turbocharged flavour. With a manual box. Goes like stink, and can easily fit three people, three bikes and kit in total comfort for long journeys. The seats are, as above, epic.

They’re not totally indestructible, though. Mine chews tyres (I wanted the added grip of AWD, so don’t care) and changing light bulbs requires quadruple jointed arms, wrists, fingers and fingernails.

As a reliable, comfy, safe load lugger, though – Hard to beat.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks, everyone. It might be worth me having a look at it.

My parents had a 240 years ago, and I remember that it was generally a nice car, but it didn’t like to corner quickly. The steering wheel would suddenly ‘flop’ a little bit, and the car would try to carry on (understeer?). Also, the brakes would lock up without too much provocation. I got the impression the Volvo was lacking in ‘primary safety) but had a strong body to protect you if/when you crashed. The Saab 900 I had later seemed much less likely to get you into trouble.

I didn’t know the V70s were galvanised.

It sounds like it might be a great car for cruising up and down the A9 etc! The main downside would be the running costs – I need to find out about LPG conversions…

RustyNissanPrairie

Forget LPG – the cars are too complex to mess with – think 1st gen canbus with iirc 14seperate ECU’s.
    Seriously for £900 just buy it and drive it especially if its sensible mileage. Put the LPG conversion costs towards petrol.

No rust on mind (apart from silencer mounts rusting off-£20 ebay repair part available).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2001 Volvo V70’ is closed to new replies.