Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 2001 Toyota MR2, anything to look out for?
  • twoniner
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a project car to have a mess about with ready for the summer.

I have my eye on a 2001 silver MR2 1.8 VVTi and it’s going for £1500.

It’s had 1 owner from new and full service history, it also comes with a colour coded hard top.

The alloys need a good refurb and there is a rust repair job that the owner did that will need re-doing.

I didn’t get the chance to drive it or start it up, the battery was dead but if it’s still there I’m going back next weekend to give it a spin and a better look over.

Is there anything I should be looking out for on this particular car? Does it have a timing chain and does anyone know when they need changing? The dealer didn’t really know although he said he will find out.

whatgoesup

I’ve got an ’04 car, theres all the info you could shake a stick at at http://www.mr2roc.co.uk… look up for precat failure/removal, piston ring/bore wear and rear subframe rust.

Great fun cars by the way!

twoniner
    Free Member

Cheers, will have a good look over that site later.

One thing I did find when sitting in the driver seat was the steering wheel position. When at it’s highest adjusted height the wheel was very close to my knees.

My Missus is a little taller than me an worry she might struggle with that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    King-ocelot
    Free Member

We’ve got a 52 plate. The facelift models are the ones to go for as the engine has been revised but finding a clean one with good history was proving hard with most being kept by enthusiasts or going for quite a bit over book. We settled on a this one as it was (like the one you describe) a one owner full history example that had been cherished.

Great fun car, much prefer it to the mx5’s it replaced. Check oil and Coolant regularly. It really needs decent tyres, the owners club/forum has a few horror stories with people using cheap tyres.

There was a cool feature in last months evo on them, saying what a bargain they are. I have to agree.

Edit: don’t worry too much on the wheels all Toyotas of that era have alloys that peel and bubble. My other commuter is a celica 190 (53 plate) I am planning on having the wheels done and the mR2s after the winter.

trevron73
    Free Member

Needs extra storage for curling tongs and scissors ?
    Im joking i would love a mk1 in blue or white ?

whatgoesup

The seat height adjustment might help, and it’s a lower more stretched out driving position than a family car but I guess it just depends on what you find comfortable and how tall you are (I’m 6’1″ by the way and find it fine)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

There was a problem in the early vvti engines where you would get piston ovalisation leading to excessive oil usage and a dead engine. I suspect that since it’s still running that it’s a good un.

benji
    Free Member

Handbrakes are a pain in the butt with those, cables are an interesting thing to fit, as it’s seats out, and tank down, too many bends for their own good.

twoniner
    Free Member

The seat height adjustment might help

I did have a look for such a thing but must have missed it. It was also chucking it down so wasn’t hanging around. Will look again if it’s there when I go back.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The adjustment is just under wheel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2001 Toyota MR2, anything to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.