Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • £2000 for an Old Car! – Seems Like it Hasn’t been fully Thought Through – or
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

I’m surprised there ahsn’t already been a post on this. Rushed note, at work, the sack if I get caught (Is there an acronym for that? RNSIIGC?)

So are all greater than 10 year old cars now worth £2000 (if you are going to buy a new car or know somneone who is going to buy a new car)? Dodgy/thrifty folk are going to find loads of loophole in this one

So all the bangers I’ve bought in the past for £500-1000 are now gone! That’s bad for me and anyone like me (+ young kids).

There’s loads of 10 year old cars in great condition, doing great mileage/emmissions that don’t need to be scrapped (guy in office has 11 year old Audi A4 1.8 TDi Estate, 55mpg, galvanised body)- they will now become a tradable comodity by unscrupulous car salesmen.

I appreciate they are trying to get teh overall emmissions down. 15 year old would seem more logical. UI’m sure the government has done its sums and got it right again!

retro83
    Free Member

I wonder if it is worse to drive round a ten year car or to build a new one in terms of carbon and other chemicals released into the atmosphere?

uplink
    Free Member

I believe there are some conditions tied to the £2k trade in value regarding how long you need to have owned, taxed & insured it prior to scrapping it

bigrich

its a (thinly disguised) economic stimulus

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t someone once work out that from manufacture to scrap including all the spares, service and driving inbetween that the jeep wrangler was the most green car, helped a long way y the fact they last so long (or did I imagine it)?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

It’s merely to boost the car trade, nothing else and they aren’t pretending it’s for any other reason either.

The car you trade has to have a valid MOT, beyond that I’m not sure.

robbo1234biking

I wonder if it is worse to drive round a ten year car or to build a new one in terms of carbon and other chemicals released into the atmosphere?

Compare that to the manufacturing techniques required for the so called green cars/hybrids/electric cars. I am not convinced the overall impact on the environment is so green – its more about a way to find alternative propulsion methods.

I also understood that there were condiitons on this to stop trading etc of old vehicles in order to get the trade in value.

This scheme is purely to get people to start buying new cars again but personally I wouldnt go out and buy new for a £2000 discount – the depreciation will still be poor

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so the dealers will stop their deals as the government is knocking £2k off the price for them.

Watching the Oz response here $900 for all (£450) to spend just after christmas – mainly went into savings or paying debt off

Up to $21,000 towards a new build house for first time buyers – seems to be artificially inflating the bottom of the market and encouraging lots of young people to take on big mortgages when interest rates are low – ring any bells there

The next one might be public spending but nobody knows

Seems the world over people are throwing money into preserving the current lyfestyle ie
    buying a new car every 3 years
    replacing tv/furniture every 2 years
    keeping house prices above earnings
    buying things we cant afford

so now we throw money at the problem because people cant imagine what will happen if we let things fail.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s all Gordon Brown’s fault Mike 😉

will
    Free Member

£2000 would not make me buy a new car. I don’t think i will ever buy a new car.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

so the dealers will stop their deals as the government is knocking £2k off the price for them.

Precicely what I thought. There will be no real incentive to buy new, just a perceived one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Like everyone who came home with a new bike telling the missus how much they saved by buying it………..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it’ll follow the same ‘cash on the table’ priniple as anything else in economics.

Joe (for example) has a banger worth £300 scrap, he wnow wants to sell it to Kay for £2k as thats what he thinks its now worth.

But Kays friend Lee also has a banger and says he’ll sell it for £1950, but Kay also has a friend wholl undercut Lee, Mike will sell his banger for £1850, and so on and so forth……………..

Net result, the value of secondhand cars wouldn’t increace dramaticaly, even if there were loopholes.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Cars that would’ve scrapped, now have a value – great.

Very desperate.

hora
    Free Member

Budget yesterday. Over 5yrs Labour are going to borrow an addition £1trillion.

Can call them incompetent yet or will someone bring up Thatcher and the Miners?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyway – haven’t Carcraft and the like been doing similar ‘deals’ since, like, ever?

‘Any old car for £xxxx trade-in’

uplink
    Free Member

Hora – you keep editing you figures

IA

You have to have owned the old car for over a year, and it must have a valid mot.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got an n reg mondeo estate drives great with all history with it only done 5k a year for last six years . Now a two grand value on it doesnt make me want to get in debt to buy a new one. Just makes me wonder how much a similar replacement will cost when it dies

hora
    Free Member

I wrote 5trillion instead of £trillion- thats alittle bit out!

uplink
    Free Member

I take it you’re also using the US version of a trillion rather than the British?

BTW – I thought it was £703 billion?

BigCol
    Free Member

I think sniff have hit the nail on the head here….

Sniff petrol linky

hora
    Free Member

£170billion next year with a further £703b over the next 5yrs

mudshark
    Free Member

There’ll always be people buying new cars so that scheme will increase the volume; £2k off a small car is a nice dent. I bought my current car, a Puma, new but from a car supermarket for seemingly a good price – actually that’s 8 years old now so would soon be old enough for the scheme but it’s only done 52k and given me no problems whatsoever so would be wrong to scrap it – whatever you may think about Pumas!

steveh

The detail I saw is that the government are givin £1k and the dealer is expected to give the other £1k to match. All that will happen is that the dealer will take the £1k he now gives you aginst the car off the deal and so the price to change alters by £1k.
    It was originally supposed to be only against certain new cars (green ones, now doubt on the flawed CO2 system) but I’ve not heard if that is the case.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This has been successful in Germany, in keeping a trickle of car sales going.

Nothing wrong with a Puma

– for a hair dresser.
    😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a Puma

I had one for 5 years and loved it.

I now have a TT – so beware, you ARE on a slippery slope.

😉

mudshark
    Free Member

For some reason I like Pumas but dislike TTs! Though the recent one looks better. IMO the Puma was the best option for the cash – needed something smallish for living in London but fun for the countryside and spacious enough for bikes and gear – which it is with the rear seats down….

matt_outandabout

Well, if someone wants to make some mahoney, I have a proposition

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Each to there own – no reason to have to like a TT just because you like Pumas. In fact I hated the Puma when it first came out then I warmed to it and loved mine – paid £12k brand new (full spec, 1.7 engine)and sold it 5 years later for £4k which I think is amazing value – especially as I never had a single problem with it either.

hora
    Free Member

MF but it lost alot of money- 8k. Especially after the budget/IMF’s annual growth predictions for the UK- if people think its time to go out there and buy a new car with their own money on unfavourable rates then they are mad.

Ontop of this- housing market- I bet there are people itching to move/buy an investment property thinking the market is now at the bottom. Its going to plateau then BANG (IMO of course).

willard

Everyone just needs to buy a land rover and run it on chip fat.

Not only is it a UK company (ok, owned by Tata now, but built in the midlands), but they last and last and last.

No boy-racering possible and the streets will be quiet at the weekends because people will be fixing them.

hora
    Free Member

willard but they are classed as 4×4’s and soon (I bet) they will be excluded from towns/cities and charged at an extorniate VED to get them off the roads completely.

GrahamS

Everyone just needs to buy a land rover and run it on chip fat.

You do know that bio-fuels are one of the main reasons that large areas of rainforest are being destroyed?

All fine and good if you are re-using the oil from your local chippy that would have otherwise been binned. But if everyone did that we’d soon run out of chippys.

mudshark
    Free Member

We need people to buy new cars….

ziggy
    Free Member

First off the scheme in Germany meant you got up to 5000 euros off, and secondly you have to have owned your ‘banger’ for 12 months to use the scheme.

I for one would never buy a new car as you would loose that £2k the minute you drive it off the forecourt, and I need a car with space inside so a small euro box is going to be no good to me.

You could probably negotiate close to £2k off a new car anyway.

matt_outandabout

Yes, then I can buy them cheap when they have got bored with them.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Didn’t someone once work out that from manufacture to scrap including all the spares, service and driving inbetween that the jeep wrangler was the most green car, helped a long way y the fact they last so long (or did I imagine it)?

Yeah, that sounds familiar… I think people were disputing the figures but the point stands that running one that’s already been built is better than building a new one, IF what you’re trying to achieve is lower emissions. In this case the green bit is just tacked on the end of stimulating the car industry.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just a note, the scheme will cover all car types (including small vans) assuming the manufacturers want to play ball as £1000 of the 2000 will come from the manufacturers, according to the site I read?

I’ve never been able to understand why anyone would buy a new car privately anyway, certainly not unless you’re more than well enough off to not need £2000 off.

mudshark
    Free Member

If less people want to buy cars and more want to buy 2nd hand cars then the prices will get closer together so that there is always a market for new cars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘£2000 for an Old Car! – Seems Like it Hasn’t been fully Thought Through – or’ is closed to new replies.