• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by johni.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • £2,000-2,500 to spend on a trail bike – what should I get???
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’m looking for an all round trail bike that is capable of all day aggressive trail rides, but can also handle some enduro events and the odd alpine holiday.

In an ideal world, I would like:

– A full sus carbon frame
    – Rock Shox Pike fork
    – 650b wheels
    – Dropper post

My top contender at the moment is the Stereo 140 Super HPC TM 27.5.

What else should I consider?

qwerty
    Free Member
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

Canyon Strive AL?

trauty
    Free Member

vitus sommet carbon soon in shops

SirHC

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-trance-27-5-1-2015.html?gclid=COzSoLngnMgCFYrpwgodOy4BXA

Sell the Rev’s and fit Pikes.

Can’t fault my Trance, ride XC on it, uplifts, enduro and a perfect trail bike.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have the 140TM. Stonking bike. Buy one.

colinpm1
    Free Member

Orange Five if you can stretch to £2800, failing that Whyte T130 S

colinpm1
    Free Member

Ah, just re-read OP, is carbon a must?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Some 2015 carbon Norco Sight (140mm) and Range (160mm) around that price from Evans.

wl
    Free Member

Latest Orange Five – the Mk2. Amazing bike for anything in the UK, and 99.9% of stuff in the Alps etc. Might stretch your budget a tiny bit, but it will be worth it, especially as you’ll save dosh by not needing to repair or maintain it after a UK winter.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Some really good suggestions, thanks.

No, carbon is not a must, but if I was to go down the aluminium route, I’d be reluctant to spend much more than £2,000, whereas I’d happily splash out another £500 for the luxury of carbon.

I like Orange (currently own a P7 hardtail), but having ridden their full-sus offerings before, I’d prefer a suspension design that’s more efficient on climbs, although I take on board the point about reliability.

The T-130 Works has caught my eye as well, though it’s a little on the expensive side for an alloy framed bike at £2,399 in the sales. The T-130 S is nice, but doesn’t come with a Pike or a 1×11 drivetrain.

Some of the Norco Sights also look nice, but haven’t found one that fits into my price range at the right spec.

Thus far, the Cube seems like a winner. Anyone know where I could test ride one?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a five isn’t even close to a 140TM.

wrecker
    Free Member

Trance SX can be bought reasonably at the minute. At £2500 for a carbon bike, you’ll be compromising on a fair bit unless you get a Canyon and they aren’t available for a while.

hammyuk
    Free Member

CRF450R…

seavers
    Free Member

My mate took delivery of a Zesty AM 527 last week. Paid under 2200 for it. Carbon front triangle, alu rear I believe. Pikes, dropper, 2×10.

We swapped bikes on a ride this weekend, I had a good go on it. Its a nice bike, very light but with 150mm back and front very capable too. Came with nice short stem and wide(ish) bars. Wheel set ready for tubeless. Apart from the Nobby Nic tyres its pretty sorted.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

How about a YT Capra comp 2, at €3499, it’s coming in about £2600. It’s a very versatile bike, any climbs very well for a slack angle bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Norco FTW . Don’t get a 5

Goldigger
    Free Member
    coolbeanz
    Free Member

Wow, that Nukeproof hurts my eyes! Does seem like a nice bike though, although I wish it was carbon.

I definitely like the YT Capra Comp 2, but I need the bike in the next 2 weeks, in time for a mountain biking holiday to Spain.

The Lapierre Zesty AM 527 is certainly a sweet deal, but it lacks a 1×11 drivetrain and a carbon rear end, plus I’ve read mixed reviews of the KS LEV Integra dropper.

…I think I’m getting really picky now.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

T-130s is 1×11 for 2016.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right now there’s some stinking deals on the Trek Remedy. £3500 down to £2500 and the spec is fantastic.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Norco Range carbon was £2800 now £2379
    Pike RC
    Reverb
    Carbon
    650b

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/range-carbon-73-2015-mountain-bike-ec073033

nickdavies

Sounds like you want a canyon spectral – ticks every box you’ve asked for.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you want a canyon spectral – ticks every box you’ve asked for.

Oi, that;s exactly what I was gonna say.

Stunning looking bike and seems to have really good geometry now.

mboy
    Free Member

The Whyte T-130 Works is a stunning bike, and the new 2016 model is on its way any time too (with a price reduction to boot).

Also, expect some killer deals on 2015 colour Intense models any time soon (pretty sure the 2016 models are just a colour change, though some may be Boost back ends too)… Something in the region of 30% off across remaining stocks is what I’d heard…

johni
    Free Member

ANother vote for the YT Capra here. I have an AL1 and it’s great.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘£2,000-2,500 to spend on a trail bike – what should I get???’ is closed to new replies.