• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • £200-ish 23mm+ 29er wheels
  • woodster

Looking for some wide-ish 29 wheels on a budget with a 15mm, 142×12 XD set-up. Any better options than some Superstar Tactics? I’d go a bit more if anyone’s seen any worthwhile bargains.

The Ryde wide rim builds are interesting, but there’s not much out there on them and what is seems very mixed. Anyone

Apologies for the rather dull topic, looking at pages and pages of different wheel options is starting to drive me insane.

Cheers.

scandal42
    Free Member

Tactics are a good weight for what they are.

Superstar are also doing 15% off on pre built wheels atm.

Like the look of dt swiss m442 on there for little money but not sure what they are like.

al

I’d get S* DS25 over the Tactic, having had both.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d agree with him, I’ve reviewed them both for your benefit…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-superstar-tactictesla-29er-wheelset/
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-superstar-components-tech-4-wheelset/

SS also do a 23mm internal width rim on those Tech 4 wheels which might be worth a go.

woodster

DS25 sounds like the better choice then. Thanks chaps! Although slightly concerned it’ll be a lot of weight once Superstars optimistic scales have been taking into account.

Wonder if the Switch builds on Tactics are a better option too for using heavier spokes.

al

I don’t find superstar’s weights optimistic. Both the loose DS25s I’ve had have been as advertised (within 8 grams anyway)

woodster

Fair enough. My TL28s on Switch Evos were defintiely a fiar few grams heavier than claimed despite the lightet axle set-up.

I might have gone slightly mental and blown the budget and bought a set of Syntace W35. Oops.

mboy
    Free Member

Got a pair of these on my new HT, so far they’re ace. The rear hub is the same as the Halo Superdrive 120pt and Superstar Superleggera, and the front is also very nicely made. Convertible from 15mm to QR up front and 142×12 to QR on the back, and XD driver also available too…

The rims are 23mm internal width, weigh about the same as Arch EX’s (but seem stiffer), are tubeless ready etc. Only done a few rides on them so far, but so far very impressed indeed…

In fact, mine may be for sale very soon as it happens as just agreed to buy some carbon 29er hoops for a steal!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘£200-ish 23mm+ 29er wheels’ is closed to new replies.