Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 20 years in the making… Yo Eddy
  • gee
    Free Member

So… when I was at school and first got into riding in about 1996, the Fat Chance Yo Eddy was about the coolest bike going. Oh how I drooled over the Evolution Imports adverts in MBUK. I’ve been lurking on Retrobike for ages now, and when a frame came up for sale in my size… well it would have been rude not to.

I had most of the M950 XTR in a drawer, so that was handy. Managed to find a cheap chainset and some bargain King hubs off eBay. The rims came from a friend who’d just bought a bike shop as a going concern and found a shed full of brand new bits and bobs from the late 90s…

The frame is 1800g, which goes to show how much extra heft a steel frame has nowadays to pass the silly CEN tests. A steel El Mariachi 29er I had for a while was 2500g and the difference is night and day – comfy, springy, absolutely flies down the trails. The geometry is fantastic, the only things that feels a bit weird are the front mech and narrow bars. Wide range cassettes are definitely a winner! The forks are amazing for their age; I don’t think they’ve been used a lot, but they are buttery smooth and feel great. Not too flexy either. I don’t imagine they are terribly weatherproof, but as this will never be going near a puddle that’s fine.

What I find remarkable is the BB is 20 years old and is still perfect. No play, totally smooth and no creaks. They don’t make them like this any more – serviceable needle and ball bearings. Just goes to show how terrible modern pressfits are. Got to love a BBM950.

I like good retro, not crappy retro, so the tyres, pedals, saddle and grips are modern. That makes a huge difference.

Absolutely stoked with it!!

Poopscoop

Quality build mate!

More pics??

TheDoctor
    Free Member

That is a thing of beauty!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m drooling.

Always wanted a Yo Eddy, the black one with the yellow graphics. Never had the chance to own one, chose an Attitude (after a Team Tit was knicked at a Cannock MTB race) but if I’d been able to get hold of a Yo Eddy I would have.

Enjoy it, hope you ride it hard and yes more pics if you can.

gee
    Free Member

Yes I’m riding it – just conscious that I don’t want to wear out the transmission!! It’s already done 2 x 60 mile mtb rides round the Surrey Hills…

Build is:

King hubs
    X221 rims
    Champion spokes
    King headset
    Salsa shaft seatpost
    Salsa promoto carbon bar
    Salsa scandium stem
    XTR M950 groupset
    Pace RC36 Proclass

gee
    Free Member

More pics here

Pics of Yo Eddy

Poopscoop

Just looked at the pics, the greenery and sunny day really set the bike of well in the pics! 😀

Wookster

Love it mate!! What a lush bike!

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s lovely.

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ was just going to say how lush it was – the only era appropriate adjective for it.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Terrific bit of kit, love the whole build! Thank you for putting it up. Off to pull out my 80s and 90s specials…

onandon
    Free Member

It’s the right way to a reto build. The tyres etc from ” back in the day ” were shit.

Enjoy, it’s a gorgeous build.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Lovely!

Nice forks too

Dont spose the mate with the shop has a set of u.s.e sub fork and hub?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That looks just right, really nice looking bike.

adsh
    Free Member

You going to race it in the retro BBD class?

jamj1974

Just very, very nice!

gee
    Free Member

Haha no USE forks in there – they seem to come up on Retrobike every now and again though so maybe post on there? He does have a million Kore stems though so if you ever need one of those….

gee
    Free Member

BBD?

molgrips
    Free Member

Funny. A friend and I just did a ride we’ve been doing since the 90s, and we commented on how much better the experience was on our modern rigid steel bikes…

schmiken

Brighton Big Dog.

onlysteel
    Free Member

That is a beautiful thing. Had a couple of pairs of RC36’s and found them pretty reliable in their day provided they were kept clean, grease injected and serviced occasionally. Still have a pair up in the attic, in fact.
    Enjoy, deeply envious.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Really nice! If use those RC36 in mud, the gold stanchions will last about 5 mins, but in the dry they should be good for a long while.

I also do the ‘modern grips, tyres, saddle, pedals’ thing on a SS bontrager race lite, it rides really well.

egb81
    Free Member

Sweet. I haven’t seen one of those since I used to race. Good work.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s a bit lovely. Enjoy.

slackboy

Gorgeous. Not jealous at all, honest.

gee
    Free Member

Found some 25.4 5 degree bars on eBay… Toseek direct from China! We shall see… they didn’t just break when I hauled on them so there is hope… I know they aren’t retro, but no one made wide flat bars in the 90s!!

PS if anyone has a 5degree uncut Salsa carbon flat bar…

edd

Love it.

So… when I was at school and first got into riding in about 1996, the Fat Chance Yo Eddy was about the coolest bike going.

+1 I eventually fulfilled a similar Fat Chance dream in 2008 by having an Independent Fabrication (the company started by the ex Fat City employees) Deluxe made for me. Still ride it every week of the year and it always puts a smile on my face.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a selection of Easton carbon in 25.4. only ten years old though.

chestrockwell

Lovely.

shermer75
    Free Member

Very, very nice OP 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘20 years in the making… Yo Eddy’ is closed to new replies.