Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 20 to 15mm maxle conversion
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Hi. Has anyone used these and more specifically to convert Hope bulb front hub?

Mavic 20 to 15 conversion

Hope don’t do one and these look like the bits you pop out of the hubs on the Hopes. Wondering if they are fairly universal ( hoping really ).

Or any pointers to any other 20 to 15 converter.

Thanks.

timber

Can’t believe Hope don’t do an adaptor.

I have a set of Mavic 20mm to 15mm adaptors, however, they don’t make the axle wide enough on my older Mavic 20mm hub, so that will require some swimming.

In summary, maybe. Depends on end width, but the 20mm OD to 15mm ID is the basics.

legend
    Free Member

BULB went out of production wwaaayyy before 15mm came on the scene so it’s possible. Have you actually contacted Hope directly to make sure there’s not a work around?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Hi. Yes I contacted Hope as first port of call. It is an old hub and so they don’t do one. Does no one do a simple sleeve? Or that is too simple a solution?

Kahurangi

IIRC 15 mm is only 100 mm wide, but 20 mm axles are 110 mm wide so it’s not as simple as a tube/spacer.

Northwind

Yup, you can’t just space through the middle of the complete 20mm hub (though ironically, I think Boost 15mm is 110mm?) There’s got to be a chance that those spacers work but it’d be a bit lucky. Does the Bulb have the axle running on the bearings, or is there an internal spacer like a DT?

I did proper advanced bodgery to convert my rovals to 15mm- spacers were discontinued to I got a set of QR spacers, machined them down, and got a set of 15mm adaptors that I had lying around and machined them so that they sat into the QR adaptors and interference-fit in. Lovely. Obviously a real machinist could have just made an adaptor from scratch but I’m a dobber.

ajantom

This seems to crop up about once or twice a year on here!

I had the same issue and ended up DIYing it.
    It is doable with a set of the Hope ProII adaptors. You need to machine them down. My instructions and photos are here – Hope Bulb 15mm adaptors

So if you know someone with access to a lathe they should be able to do it in 30 mins or so (I did it in my lunch hour)

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

Ok. All good info. I learned to use a lathe during my apprenticeship, but that was 25 years ago

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘20 to 15mm maxle conversion’ is closed to new replies.