• This topic has 74 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Mbnut.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • 20 seconds gap on a 60 second trail
  • bubs

I went for a ride in the sunshine today on dry’ish trails through woods alive with midges/gnats and generally felt good about the world. However, according to Strava, a mbr journo (or namesake) was 20 seconds faster on a short, fun, mildly technical (in places) trail earlier today. How? Where can someone find that much time on such a short trail? 5 seconds would be fine, 10 seconds even ok as I am no Ratboy but I thought I was pinning it and have no idea how I could go any faster. I blame my 26″ wheels.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Use the compare function.

chakaping
    Free Member

One of my favourite local descents has a certain Mr Samuel Hill as the Strava KOM.

He was 20 seconds ahead of me but I’ve chipped it down to something like seven or nine seconds now by riding it dozens of times on different bikes.

He probably only rode it once… on sight.

nedrapier

Who knows? Well, he does. Or she.

Thing I’ve found with speed is that some people operate outside your preconceived ideas of what’s possible. You think you’re pinning it through that rooty section, then you see someone else air the whole lot at 3 times the speed.

thepurist

GPS errors, straight lining all the bends, dEPO or they are just properly quick.

nedrapier

The other possibility is that there’s a hiccup on the GPS data. 10 second lag in positioning under trees coming into the section, catches up while you’re in it. That’s your 10 second headstart.

Probably happens a lot, but stands out a lot more when the segment time is so short.

Edit: wot he said^, but slower.

scaredypants

I’m really fast. Tell me where it is and I’ll come down and benchmark it for you – at least then you’ll know if it’s humanly possible

Bregante

One of my favourite local descents has a certain Mr Samuel Hill as the Strava KOM.

I know the descent (which is in a terrible state at the moment by all accounts) and I thought it had been established that it wasn’t really Sam Hill?

bubs

Historical times are pretty consistent and so I think he is just quick rather than GPS error unfortunately.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Big launch of the gps down the hill.. should get you the KOM
    Bubble wrap it up first though

chakaping
    Free Member

I know the descent (which is in a terrible state at the moment by all accounts) and I thought it had been established that it wasn’t really Sam Hill?

It’s not the San Marino and it is Sam Hill (I’ve just been stalking him again now).

You’re right though, the descent I’m referring to is a bit blown out and it would have been riding much faster when he set that time. Otherwise I’d have had him by now. Honest.

jam-bo

Thing I’ve found with speed is that some people operate outside your preconceived ideas of what’s possible. You think you’re pinning it through that rooty section, then you see someone else air the whole lot at 3 times the speed.

This. a local lad here is elite DH’er, still not quite top flight. I can keep him in sight for a couple of corners at best on an XC ride when he’s cruising. Just carries so much speed.

stevied
    Free Member

There’s a set of steps we do where my best time (all guns blazing) was something like 20 seconds. The KOM is 3 or 4 seconds..there is no way, on god’s green earth, it’s been done in that time..

botk
    Free Member

only KOM i ever got was when i left strava on in car going home 🙁 buggers took it off me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a set of steps we do where my best time (all guns blazing) was something like 20 seconds. The KOM is 3 or 4 seconds..there is no way, on god’s green earth, it’s been done in that time..

That’ll be GPS errors, anything under a minute or so is always going to be a struggle to get accurate leader board times, not every time is inaccurate, but the top places are likely going to be the fastest riders on quick runs, with added errors.

As for knocking 15-20 seconds off your time on a minute of trail, it’s possible, after thinking more about technique I can now get down some trails at Swinely as fast on a rigid bike (which was probably a gap of 10 seconds or so to start with) as I did on the FS bike, and at the time I thought I was bordering on the edge of control on the FS, barely feels dangerous on the rigid so there’s obviously more in there. And that’s with only small changes (exiting berms earlier to help set up for the next one mostly).

Northwind

stevied – Member

There’s a lot like this tbh, like the Bitch at Glentress, I’ve seen world champions go down that at downright traumatic pace and it still took a damn sight longer than the 8 seconds the KOM took. And no wonder, when you look at that segment and see the dude’s time started more than halfway down the segment and ended before the end. GPS being GPS I think.

Strava’s basically not very good, let’s be honest.

bubs

I’m really fast. Tell me where it is and I’ll come down and benchmark it for you – at least then you’ll know if it’s humanly possible

I am 99 out of 345 so far this year and so there is no doubting it’s humanely possible. I just need to figure out why I am slow when I thought I was “on the edge”. Given that I also bottled out of the jumps that have appeared on many of the other trails it might just be time to enjoy the slower pace of life.

belugabob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t necessarily blame Strava – it’s more likely to be the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the GPS device used to record the ride,

As the saying goes – “Garbage in, garbage out”

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

gps error and if you or he has auto pause set for a certain speed it will auto pause giving you a boost when, if you drop below that speed.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t necessarily blame Strava – it’s more likely to be the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the GPS device used to record the ride,

Agreed.

And just for the record, Strava is AMAZING.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are two jumps on the last bit of Cwmcarn DH, must be 5m or so apart. Or at least I thought it was two jumps, until I saw someone demonstrate that if you go fast enough it’s actually a double 😯

jam-bo

i wouldn’t necessarily blame Strava – it’s more likely to be the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the GPS device used to record the ride,

An excuse only ever used by slow people…

hairyscary

As others have said there is probably an element of GPS error in it.
    However, quick riders really are stupidly quick.
    A couple of years ago I was in second place,on Strava, for the descent to Achnashellach in Torridon with a time of 5.28 and I was sure I could make up the time on a good run and get the KOM. The next month Greg Williamson’s name appeared at the top of the leaderboard and he had taken a minute out of me! It was the first time he had ridden the descent so I reckon he could probably go a fair bit quicker.
    Certainly puts you in your rightful place 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

@ Molgrips, if you’ve not seen the really good guys, they take off, sail way over that double, turn in the air, and land on the berm all lined up for the downhill. Some riders are just awesome.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve recorded a time at FOD that I cannot get within 10 seconds of. Happy with 7th out of 5000. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

An excuse only ever used by slow people…

Cuts both ways though.

I have a KOM at Setmurthy which is suspiciously quicker than the competition, and which was recorded on my mobile.

We really need a special category on Strava for users of dedicated GPS units, eh?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We really need a special category on Strava for users of dedicated GPS units, eh?

I think it depends where your phone was, and where the GPS is. I get perfect tracks out of my phone which lives in a pocket at the top of my bag, with about as perfect a view of the sky as it possible. The garmin on my bars on the other hand get’s a perfect view of my moobs and gives more jagged tracks. Back when strava was all new and shiny and no one had a biking GPS someone did a comparison between an edge and a forerunner and found similar, the more exposed watch gave much better results.

So it’s less the phone, and more where you put it (IME, although some phones might just have crap GPS)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ignore strava and go back to being happy.

chipps

I’ve been lucky enough to ride with a few quick pro riders and they are truly astounding to watch. Not just quick, but blisteringly quick.

Oh, and they don’t ride the same trail that we ride. Where we’re bumping over the rocks, thinking we’re doing just great, they take off here

…touch once here…

…and land in this corner down there and shoot out of the corner.

I rode a tricky dry riverbed crossing in Downieville – it was a tricky rocky descent into a flat dry riverbed and then a technical, steppy climb out that I nearly made, but dabbed just at the top. I reckoned I could ride it in one next time.

Then I looked behind to see Peaty and Minnaar (no really, it was the 5010 launch last year) using my ‘technical climb’ simply as a launchpad to air off as they laughed at each other.
    Fast is simply fast.
    I am neither, I have realised.

Northwind

chipps – I work here

Oh, and they don’t ride the same trail that we ride. Where we’re bumping over the rocks, thinking we’re doing just great, they take off here

…touch once here…

…and land in this corner down there and shoot out of the corner.

I remember my first race at fort william, I did a couple of practice runs the day before, got back to the b&b and thought, I’ll watch some race footage, see if I can get any hints from the pros on the bits I’m struggling to find a line on. Nope. Nothing they did on those sections had any relevance to me 😆

mr_stru

Even top XC guys have ninja skills. If you’ve ever been passed by them at a race on a line that wasn’t until they nipped passed you on it then it’s best to think hard before attempting it yourself later on. And as for thinking “I’ll close that gap on the downhill” when they go by you at the top of a hill…

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was asking this very question yesterday. Son of chainslapper (cannock) section is recored at 19 seconds ish by a lot of folk, im sat 600th odd out of 20000 at 29 seconds. I just can’t see how you could be 9 seconds quicker and wanted to smash my phone like a petulant child when I saw the result.

tomhoward

Once saw a video dirt did with Steve Jones and Sam Hill, they’d stooped halfway down a trail to do a bit of interviewing and were setting off, both men set off at the same time, pretty much together, and within a couple of hundred feet, Hill was several bike lengths ahead of Jones. Thing is, Hill hadn’t put any pedal strokes in, and Jones swears blind he didn’t brake.

Marginal gains, everywhere. How many corners does this 60 second section have? If you went through each of them a second faster, how much would you improve by? Could the top man be 10-20% more powerful than you? That combine with inaccuracies in the tech ( sounds like an excuse to me but WE) could easily explain it.

markgraylish
    Free Member

So it’s less the phone, and more where you put it (IME, although some phones might just have crap GPS)

^^ This, though as others have pointed out, some riders are just sooooo fast and smooth.

If you zoom right in on the Strava segment with a good GPS signal you’ll see many more twists and turns whereas a segment with a crap GPS signal will show more straight lines and definite ‘angles’ rather than curves. On a very short segment, the GPS trace may just be one straight line

Anecdotaly, I’d say iPhones aren’t very accurate for this sort of thing as I’ve compared my Strava segments (Android) with my riding buddies (iPhones) and mine show much better alignment to the actual trail. I’m guessing it’s probably also to do with battery savings (lower sampling rate) rather than inaccurate GPS chips.

I also did an experiment with my phone in the top of my camelbak and a Garmin 520 with both GPS and Glonass enabled but the Garmin was in the camelbak side pocket (I’m not brave enough to put a $400 gadget on the bars of my mtb). The phone was waaaaaay more accurate

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple one he’s faster 😉
    Plus a combination of GPS Error and the rest. Even if you are on a 1s count the point at which you enter or leave the segment can be a significant distance apart from another rider or your next go.
    On one of my faster segments I’m 40s behind KOM he did it in 1:44 so 20s in a minute isn’t that hard to imagine and I know I could carry more speed in a few places. In contrast there is one where I’m top 10 and the gap is 52s(KOM) – 1:04(Me) not sure where the 12s comes from in that one 😉 Thankfully thats getting replaced so the time will last a while 🙂

sl80
    Free Member

@wrightyson. Some of the very top times down that section will be when there was a diversion in place and people were hitting the parallel fireroad at full speed. But I’d still say the legit top times will be 23/24 seconds.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Last 12 months has seen every almost every segment in riding distance of me be annihilated.
    Had a couple of WC XC pros stopping in the next town over most weeks in the spring and autumn. (Parents of one of them have recently moved into the area.)
    And then during the summer a recently ex protour rider was living with a lass in another local town. They’ve now moved to Italy.

So those almost achievable segments are now so far out of reach it’s almost funny. Even our local MTB superhero is a minute down on anything over 5 minutes, though he has improved his absolute times significantly.
    And some of the local road bits have had 10+% taken off them.

I’m fat and slow these days so i don’t really care that much. I was never going to get into the top 50% anyway.

boxelder

Try living near Adam Brayton…..

WildHunter2009

My local trails have been Sam Hilled. Well they are his local trails as well, and he was here first but still. Brutally fast. I have absolutely no idea how.

Gotama
    Free Member

Quite possibly just a lot faster but it’s not to do with how you start the trail is it? There’s one near us where we generally stop for a chat before going down but that means you’re just starting off pedalling as you begin the segment, auto pause has to wake itself up etc. If you go straight into it from higher up the fireroad you go into the trail a lot faster which results in far quicker strava times. And yes i guess we could stop for a chat somewhere else but not overly fussed 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘20 seconds gap on a 60 second trail’ is closed to new replies.