Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 20 hour power out – frozen food dilema..
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

stw massive, naturally hold the answer to most things..

Yesterday a major issue occurred with the electricity supply on our street, in fact if you noticed carnage down at Priory island in Nottingham that’s the same issue (half the lights failed)

anyway, I’d loaded up the freezer the other day and I’m concerned about all my food, well the meat stuff. House-mate inadvertently opened the freezer for all of a second while it was off, but anyway it’s been back on now for several hours (generator out on the avenue) and the stuff is frozen solid. Reckon it’ll be OK to eat? cheers

loum
    Free Member

It might be a little hard at the moment.
    Probably best to defrost and cook it first.

paddy0091
    Free Member

That’s what I’d been thinking actually, just a fair bit to cook.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Itll be fine.

cbike
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

Are there any singletracker’s left that have been outside without holding their mum’s hand these days?

soobalias
    Free Member

you needed to have a quick look just as the power went back on, see if there were any signs of thawing.

on a scale of 1 to picolax, my guess is its a three at worst.

paddy0091
    Free Member

haha oi, I just want reassurance! googling seemed to suggest binning the lot! which I clearly don’t want to do! cheers for the replies

oh and it came back on at 3am, but I wasn’t around to check it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Go take a piece of chicken out and put it on a plate in your kitchen – observe how long to defrost.

Now even with the door open for a minute the thermal mass of the food in your freezer will haul that temperature back down very quickly and said chicken will take much much much longer to defrost.

Id eat it.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Serious our freezers were off for nearly 24hrs the other day when the generator died, the only thing that thawed slightly was the bread. And it was Circa 40c outside. So I think you’ll be ok…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Seriously our freezers were off for nearly 24hrs the other day when the generator died, the only thing that thawed slightly was the bread. And it was Circa 40c outside. So I think you’ll be ok…

loum
    Free Member

The sort of thing I’d chuck would be pre-cooked prawns. Things that you just defrost and eat, but with a bit of risk to them.
    I wouldn’t worry about the rest.

drlex
    Free Member

Unless you omitted the sentence “My House-mate took everything out and left it spead on the floor for a few hours whilst he defrosted the freezer with a toothpick”, you should be golden.

spooky_b329

We had a two day powercut a while back. I left all the lights turned on so when it came back on at 3am one morning, it woke me up so I was able to check the state of the freezer. It was all defrosted 🙁

Markie
    Free Member

Mrs Markie works in the food world. Her take, assuming a freezer off for 20 hours and only opened once – and that for a second – try to use it all within four weeks and cook it well. Hope this helps!

paddy0091
    Free Member

thanks to all ^ 😀

@drlex, this did make me laugh!

gsp1984
    Free Member

Home insurance will cover it. More for if you have a chest freezer with £500+ of meat etc but will defo cover it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘20 hour power out – frozen food dilema..’ is closed to new replies.