Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 20" Girls Bikes – what's best value?
  • kevin1911

Or eldest has just (finally!) got the hang of riding her bike without stabilisers, and is off on her own now. But it’s taken her so long that her bike is now to small for her, so she needs to go up to 20″ wheels. I’ve had a quick look at the usual places (halfords, Evans, CRC) but the girls bikes seem to be pretty crap, and expensive for what they are. Can anyone recommend either a bike or an outlet that does good value bikes?

boxelder

I’ll be first – Islabikes or Frog. Not cheap, but you’ll get half back at least second hand when she finished, and she’ll enjoy riding it, which makes the value.
    Our Islabikes Beinn 20″ is about to be passed onto to child 3, and I’m still sure we’ll get 50% or so of the cost back when she finished with it. Islabikes have secondhand stock.

kevin1911

Thanks. I’d always dismissed them as being too pricey, but relative to the other heaps of junk being sold elsewhere they actually look like pretty good value. Will keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand one

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

Second hand Carrera Luna. Got an immaculate one off eBay for £75. LittleMissMC loves it, has ridden the greens at Glentress on it and loves tbe blue at Hicks Lodge.

I reckon I’ll still get £50 for it when she grows out of it, unless she does something major to it.

Islabikes may be lighter and better, but unless your kid actually races, why pay that much if you don’t have to? Your kids won’t really care so long as it fits them.

And if a kid small enough for a 20″ wheel bike wants an Islabike for the name, you need to have a word with yourself! 😉

ceepers

I will gave a girls 20″ carrera Luna in purple for sale in a few days. Only light use just a few scratches on the decals. Been a great little bike almost exclusively used on road by my daughter.

Email in profile

backinireland
    Free Member

I had our club kids out today and was in charge of the 6-10 year olds. Islabikes were much lighter than the others.
    It showed, kids were notas tired, found climbs easier and was even noticeable on the flat.
    Watch ebay a while, a 20″ islabike finishing on a Sunday evening where the origin a l box is in the picture could well be making 250, they are 299 New.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a 20″ Hotrock for sale, halve the cost of that Isla, in purple, very, very clean ad hardly used as she grew out of it really quickly.

backinireland
    Free Member

Aye half the cost but my point is you could get a better bike then sell it for not much less than you paid for it.

binners

Another vote for Carrera Luna’s. Both daughters have them, in. 20″ and 24″ flavours. You can pick up an immaculate one for about £70. I got a bit of upgrade-itis with the older ones bike too, so it’s lost some weight, and has better brakes and drivechain. Both of them love ’em! And happily rip around Lee Quarry on them

squin
    Free Member

Another vote for Carerra Luna here. Got one off eBay for £63. Stickers on forks and wheels looked tatty and the v brake 90deg cable tubey things were spotted with a little rust. Spent £4 on new ones, took shabby stickers off and gave it a proper clean and it looked brand new!

stoney
    Free Member

We`ve allways gone for the Hotrock as they have the lowest standover height,(none of our kids are tall),and they are good value as well.

kevin1911

Thanks all, some excellent suggestions there!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘20" Girls Bikes – what's best value?’ is closed to new replies.