Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • £20 eBay lights – which are the best?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

They’re now doing 7-led “10k” lumen output ones, but some are offered with one battery unit and some with 4 x 18650 batteries. I’m just after one that lasts for two hours and is brighter than the original Hope 4-led unit I currently have. For £20, if it lasts one season, I’d be happy enough. Also, are the rubber band bar mounts they supply up for the job?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d do a search, its the wrong season!

Many are optimistically rated by their sellers IIRC.

jimdubleyou

No need to buy from eBay, you can get from Amazon now.

I have this one from last year. Bright enough to piss off people cowing the other way. My version didn’t have a waterproof battery box (that some of them come with) but a bit of gaffer tape solved that.

asbrooks

The lamp units are generally good, I’ve been using the same one for 3 years now (However I will need to but another this winter, since it was attached to my bike that was stolen).
    The batteries on the other hand are pap, you’ll be lucky to get 2 hours on low power.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Bookmarking for winter!

z1ppy

some are offered with one battery unit and some with 4 x 18650 batteries.

What both of those options are actually offering is, one battery pack which contains 4×18650 batteries & as said they’re normally pretty rubbish. By using Amazon, you have more chance of arguing that the battery is rubbish (after testing it obv) & getting a replacement, than you would via eBay (imo). I’d suggest you budget £20 for the light head (& rubbish battery) & another £35 for a battery from the likes of Big_F_d_d (Torchy) off eBay or MTB-batteries (not sure on there price).. The battery will last several season… Though you might want to also buy a good charger too – some of the cheap ones melt/go up in flames.. Which then starts to make the whole £20 light into a £60+ light, at which point you might as well have bought one of Torchys lights off eBay (actually he doesn’t seem to currently have stock of either the smaller battery or cheap dual led lights)

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Are the battery units pretty universal as long as the connectors match? I.e. Would you need to specify the lamp unit to MTB Batteries before ordering?

z1ppy

Basically yes so no need to specify (though by all means chat to Mark, he’s a great guy), though no doubt there are some exceptions but normally there 7.4V 4.4Ah see here: mtb batteries ‘Magic shine’ compatible batteries

As I say, by all means buy & try the original battery first, some supplied aren’t bad & with Amazon you have the option to try to get a ‘good’ one or give them a shitty review (Amazon market place seller live or die by their reviews). Unless your planning some 12hr races, or are out really late, there’s still some time before you’ll actually need to use them in anger

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘£20 eBay lights – which are the best?’ is closed to new replies.