Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2 Years in … Genesis Fortitude
  • letmetalktomark

I’ve had my Genesis Fortitude Adventure for just over two years.

I bought a frame only from 18Bikes as I had the majority of bits to build the bike straight up.

Original build look like this with the option of a fat front:

The build has remained largely unchanged baring some experimental temporary tryouts:

The changes that have remained have been a Salsa Regulator post and a 29er+ front wheel:

Last year I picked up a SH Rohloff hub. The intention was to build it into a Longitude frame along with the bits form the Fortitude but I just couldn’t do it!

I had the wheel built into a SSC DS25 rim which at 25mm/30mm should take a 29er+ tyre but not be too wide to require a 2.3” minimum tyre – The clearance out back on the Fortitude is only adequate.

A couple of weeks ago I got around to fitting the Rohloff along with a loop bar to the Fortitude with yesterday being the first outing on the newly finished bike.

Being new to the Rohloff and a loop bar it was all a bit experimental.

I took some advice from Jeff and kept the stem length the same rather than go longer to compensate for the sweep – I’m glad I did as I found the bar with its multiple hand placements really comfortable – even got a bit aero for the road section 😳 which I would have struggled with going with a longer stem. Infact I’ve had to move my sadlle forward slightly on the rails.

I was a bit weary of the hub as in the stand its seemed totally inefficient with noticeable drag in practice its not at all noticeable. I spent the majority of time in gears 8-14 which are less draggy than 1-7. Really happy with the 36/16 ratio as it gave me a good range with a much better top end than my Alfine.

My only wish was that it didn’t weep oil

So heres hoping for another 2 years of really enjoying cycling.

Genesis/Madison if you read this …. The Fortitude is a truely wonderful frame and concept, the 2015 Longitude has gone down a storm but I think you’ve missed the boat with the 2016 Longitude 😥

fin25
    Free Member

Very nice. I’ve got the longitude set up almost the same, but with a triple instead of the Rohloff.

darbeze
    Free Member

Had my Fortitude Race just over two years. Only change from stock is the 2.4 front tyre, ergon grips and Genesis Alt bars (from 2015 Longitude).

I love it as much now as when I first got it. It’s comfortable and ace.

Only very occasionally do I think that some bounce would be nice…

I had considered a 2015 Longitude, but missed that boat. Disappointed with the 2016 Longitude though. Won’t be looking into that any further, though I confess I do like the paint job on the frame set.

May look into trying some 650 wheels and 3″ tyres on the Fortitude. The trick is trying it out for clearance before spending any money on the idea…

Clink

letmetalktomark – it’s all personal but trying angling tips of jones bars so they are pointing towards rear axle – work much better that way.

fin25
    Free Member

I’m with Clink, much comfier.

firestarter
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection batman..

That looks just the sort of bikeive been looking for. That’s how I found this thread on Google as it happens

If you fancy selling ever… 😉

tthew

OK, I realise this is an old thread, and you may not see my question letmetalktomark, but can you just clarify something for me. Is the clearance with the 25mm rim just adequate with the 2.3 tyre or the 29+ fitted?

I have a High Latitude,and I’ve been wondering just what the largest tread I could squeeze in there would be.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2 Years in … Genesis Fortitude’ is closed to new replies.