Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • 2 years for trucker after cyclists death-oturaged!!!
  • DT78
    Free Member

I think the main issue that is causing people's concern is not the fact he was convicted of careless driving (for the second time I believe?) and not that he was convicted of perverting justice (again for the second time), it's that his attitude is completely unrepentant and he attempted to cover up his 'accident'.

I cannot see this person being 'rehabilitated' in 2 years or even 10, he appears to have little regard for other humans (specifically cyclists). I would not be surprised if we hear about this chap again in another 5 years or so, I hope it won't be another death.

Lock him up for public safety, he has a screw loose if he is not showing any remorse or compassion for what he has done (accidental or otherwise)

Junkyard
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    You need to look up what murder means.
    [/Quote]
    Granted it would have been better/accurate if I had just kept saying killed in my posts. That aside do you have a view?

Speshpaul

"So what is the actual point of banging him up for 10 rather than 2? What does it achieve? "

I feel that this man is a danger to society. Many people have left the seen of a fatality, at that moment there actions have been effected by the shock of what they have witnessed. But there is more to this than that. He set out to conseal his offence and has continued to do so.
    A longer sentence would –
    Keep him away from the general public.
    Allow some chance of rehabilitation.
    It would also act to show other drivers that causing death when driving is a serious offence. Not just a bit worse than shop lifting.

I would bet that he will be driving again in a year. He clearly has no regard for the law so a ban won't stop him.

I hope the family take civil action against him. Getting the money isn't the issue, it won't bring their son/father/brother back, but if civil courts can screw this man for everything he has and everything he'll ever have then that might be something he can understand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

I am sure if some muppet truck drivwer for Homebase ran over and killed Tandem Jeremey,then drove his bike on for another 29 miles and dumped it, despite being seen by witnesses,then showed no responce or apology to us Tandem Jeremeys supporters or his freinds and family,when in court.
    Would 2 years in prison,be enough,or perhaps just ban him from posting on the forum for a while.

JLS
    Free Member

I am compelled to write to all of you, who have commented on this incident. I am the sister of the victim Tony Spink. The truth is that this man should be serving a life sentence for the manslaughter of my brother. He has got away with this dispicable crime. My brother was horrifically killed by a man, who used his lorry to kill him. My brother was heard by witnesses shouting "whow, whow whow" while desperately banging of the front of this cold blooded killers lorry for him to stop..he then made a last ditch attempt to fight for his life and tried to grab the windscreen wipers, before he was dragged underneath his lorry….witnesses where frantically beeping there horns for this man to stop and he simply drove on…ignored a poor, poor womans screams as she saw my brother being dragged under the lorry….
    When he gave his own evidence, he simply said with so much anger inside him, he saw nothing and heard nothing…there was no remorse and is contempt for our Tony's life and the courts itself, beggered belief.
    His Barraster even asked if it was Ok if Mr Stubbs didn't attend or turn up late to the judges summing up, because he had his son to take back to his X wifes. He acted as if he didn't know what all the fuss was about! It was a though he had killed a hedgehog and nothing more!…His family also did everything they could to make out as though it was my brothers fault!.
    So as for the comments "10 years or 2 years" man!!.Would you be so lenient if it had been someone so precious to you?.Prison is a punsihment,killers have to be punished, otherwise,why have laws! This mans actions have devestated our family and also devestated the lives of his friends. This killer thought he could get away with killing a cyclist and ironically, he has got away with it.
    This man also continued to drive his big lorry for over two years after my brother was killed,the same agency who employed him on that fateful day, continued to employ him, until he had is liscence taken off him.They also said

"depending on the outcome of this trial, we will continue to employ him".I can only hope that the laws in this country will change and protect cyclists against these killers!
    May I take this opportunity to thank you all for your comments..It is nice to know, that others are also appalled by this mans actions!!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Hi JLS

Don't really know what to say except that my thoughts, and those of my wife, are with you.

As a rider myself I would prefer that this man was never allowed to drive a vehicle ever again, as for the length of imprisonment I know I would feel the same as you in your circumstances.

It seems from what I have read that the judge applied the law as it is set out, perhaps we need different laws to protect us cyclists better, and a better attitude from the driving public in general.

project
    Free Member

Jane Spink, thanks so very much for putting your side of the story,and a very sad read it is, and me and so many other readers are so sympathetic of your feelings, over the death of your brother.

The killer driver should have been imediately sacked, and banned, as a deterent against killer drivers,his attitude in court was and is deploreable.

For two years youve waited for justice, and sadly been let down,while the driver will get only 2 years jail.

ABSOLUTELY BLOODY DISGUSTING.

JLS
    Free Member

Hello Dangerousbean
    Thank you for your kind words! they are received with great warmth!
    I have to say the judge was fantastic in this trial. She saw through this killer and that was most comforting for us. The police where also fantastic in there hard work in trying to get this evil man brought to justice. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough evidence to charge him with manslaughter…However, we are for want of a better word,relieved that this man as been exposed for his true self, which is a murderer. It is the justice system that is at fault! this man (I believe) would have been found guilty of Death by Dangerous Driving, if the jury got to hear all the forensic evidence against this man! but as quoted by his Barrister,"it would be an injustice to my client if this got out"…..So he was protected by the law, but that isn't the Judges fault! she summed him up to perfection and thathad made a difference to us. I do believe she gave him the maximum sentence possible….the most frightening thing for us and the rest of society, was this man continued to drive his big lorries until Sept 09, when he finally was stripped of his licence. I have major concerns for all cyclists….I have no doubt that this man didn't see him as a human being, but as a cylcist! a big difference to drivers who believe that cyclist's are a irritant on the roads…Cyclists have as much rights as anyone on the roads, they are not in charge of killing machines, like car users. They have just got to hope that they make it to their destination,without some arrogant car or lorry driver, driving to close to them and not giving the cyclist the courtesey the deserve!
    My last conversation I had with our Tony, he was telling me how he was getting ready to cycle to Hollyhead to catch the ferry to Ireland…I had this awful,awful feeling inside and I said to him "oh Tony, why do you do it, why to you cylce everywhere" to which he simply replied "because I love it Jane" and they were his last words to me…. I only hope that all cyclists don't let these car drivers and lorry drivers deter them from what they also ,simply love. The laws need to protect cylcists! Just like they protect pedestrians from cylcist on the paths..Hence the reason it is ilegal for cylclist to use Paths…
    Many thanks again for all your kind words

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was the one who argued the other side. I accepted early on that this might have been the wrong case to make that particular argument.

For any offence or hurt I have caused you I am truly sorry. It was never my intention to offend. Nothing can recompense you for your loss.

Nothing I can say says it better than

dangerousbeans – Member

Hi JLS

Don't really know what to say except that my thoughts, and those of my wife, are with you.

As a rider myself I would prefer that this man was never allowed to drive a vehicle ever again, as for the length of imprisonment I know I would feel the same as you in your circumstances.

It seems from what I have read that the judge applied the law as it is set out, perhaps we need different laws to protect us cyclists better, and a better attitude from the driving public in general.

Truly – I am sorry if my argumentative ways caused you hurt.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘2 years for trucker after cyclists death-oturaged!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts