Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2 year old son developed stammer – is this 'normal' ?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Within the last week/10 days my 29 month old son has developed a stammer.
    He tends to repeat the first syllable of the first word of a sentence, sometimes repeating many times until getting the words out.

If prompted, he will usually drop the stammer straight away.

I’ve seen some information online stating this can be a normal developmental stage, particularly for gifted speakers as their speech tries to catch up with their brain.
    As it happens, my son has excellent speech skills and has been forming whole sentences & counting (in several languages) since a very young age.

Has anyone else experienced a similar spate of stammering? and other than speaking to him slowly and concisely, do you have any other recommendations to help him drop it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does any one he come in to contact with do it, could just be copying.

I wouldnt even worry about it in a 2 year old.

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t make a big deal of it only if you do he may become self-concious about it ergo make it worse. if it gets worse, it might be worth speaking to his teachers and/or a speech therapist, but only if it gets worse!

Garry_Lager

We had the same with our lad when he was 2 – went through about a 6 week period where he’d repeat starts of sentences and struggle to get words out. It went away naturally and I believe it is quite a common phase for children to go through.

Reading about it at the time I recall advice on not pulling him up about it or hurrying him – just let him speak at his own pace and he will work things out. So defo no worries at this point in time. If he’s still doing it in a year then you’d look at it more seriously.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

With all due respect to FunkyDunc, please ignore his advice!

The sooner a stammer (whatever the level of severity) is dealth with the better. My parents took the sort-of laid back approach advocated above and it was the worst thing that they could have done.

Depending upon which set of statistics you believe, up to 25% of children will experience some for of speech difficulty during childhood, but I would implore you to err on the side of caution.

I’m 32 and am only now beginning to pull my life back together, stammering can destroy self-confidence and ruin or seriously restrict your enjoyment of life. You won’t do any harm by seeking help now, but could do a world of good.

hora
    Free Member

Your lucky, our 25month old lad STILL doesn’t know anywords apart from NO and ‘oh no’.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

My son did the same at the same age. His had disappeared over a 6 month period but in the meantime its worth getting them to a speech therapist because you never know, and anyway its free (despite 6 week waiting time in Nottingham). In the meantime keep a diary of what his speech does and when he does it – it could be linked to certain times of the day or events and this will help the speech therapist to diagnose him and make recomendations – when I took my son guess what, his speech was perfect for the whole hour!

I wouldnt worry too much at all but its always worth getting him checked out by a professional.

nosemineb
    Free Member

My lad did it at around 4 when he started school. Couple of months later he had stopped completely.
    As mentioned above he will most likely grow out of it, But it may be worth mentioning to your gp for advice.

Garry_Lager

Bit alarmist that bravohotel8er IMHO. Sure a stammer is something to treat seriously in an older child but I doubt there’s even such a thing for a 2 yo – given that they’re just beginning to speak. How would you even treat it anyhow, the kid’s still at the stage of throwing his dinner around the room.

euain

We had much the same with our daughter. It seemed to get better and worse every few weeks for a period of a few months then disappeared altogether. It seemed like she was thinking more complex words / grammar but just couldn’t get it out as she wanted. She’s completely fine now (well, it’s the opposite now, won’t shut up!).

We raised it with the health visitor at her 2 year checkup and she said not to worry, it should go on its own but to come back to ask again if it was still there in a few months for referral to speech therapist.

She also advised not to point it out or correct or rush her, just be patient.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

You wouldn’t think it was alarmist if your son still had it in his teens. The ‘just ignore it’ advice was all the rage in the 80’s, I wish it hadn’t been.

Seriously, this isn’t typical STW generalist advice, I have a stammer and I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through what I have experienced. Seeking a meeting with a speech therapist won’t do any harm.

martinhutch

If it’s only a week, my advice would be to be relaxed about it. If it persists over a period of months, might be worth raising it with a health visitor or GP and getting their advice on whether a chat with a speech therapist is in order.

My lad had a speech problem up until age 4 to 5. Although the speech therapy and exercises he was given may have helped, the therapist told us that transient speech difficulties are a fairly common feature of child brain development, particularly when acquiring vocabulary and syntax. She said they often resolve themselves, therapy or no therapy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

One of our daughters is now struggling to get words out – she knows what she wants to say but as her vocabulary gets larger she struggles to find the right words quickly enough – this often manifests itself as the first word (or part of the word) being repeated several times until she has worked out the rest of the sentence she wants to say.

But if you are worried, go to see your GP – they will soon refer you on if they think it is a concern.

warton
    Free Member

Seriously, this isn’t typical STW generalist advice, I have a stammer and I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through what I have experienced. Seeking a meeting with a speech therapist won’t do any harm.

I also stammer and I would say the opposite, at 2 i really don’t see the point in seeing a speech therapist. at 3, or 4, yeah maybe (for all the good it will do, NHS speech therapy is laughable)

bravohotel8er, you say you’re getting your life together now, are you on a speech therapy programme?

stumpy01

One of my nephews did this for a while – probably a few months and then it went away…

ucantbesirius
    Free Member

+1 for droppinneutron’s advice.

My 4 year old son has had a stammer for about the last year and a half, mainly when he’s excited and/or trying to tell someone about something that’s really important to him. We’ve been to a speech therapist about it and she commented that his sentence structures were about a 1.5 years above his age, which can result in a stammer due to ‘disfluency’. From what you’ve said, it sounds as though your son’s case may be similar.

Some of the things that were recommended to help the child through this were:
    – Don’t ask a lot questions, but comment on what they are doing so that they don’t feel pressured into giving answer.
    – Lots of praise for the things that they do right (not just talking).
    – Keep your language and sentence structures simple.
    – Get down to their level to get eye contact.
    – If they say something incorrectly repeat it back to them correctly without drawing attention to it being wrong.

If it’s still there after a more months, I’d second setting up some time with a speech therapist through your local NHS services.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

for all the good it will do, NHS speech therapy is laughable

Laughably underfunded yes – wife is an NHS speech therapist, work load is insane, waiting times are into months, service is being marginalised to the point that I can’t see it existing in a meaningful form for much longer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hora – Member

Your lucky, our 25month old lad STILL doesn’t know anywords apart from NO and ‘oh no’.
    so he only needs shh dad that’s BS and he can have every conversation possible with you 😉

My youngets did it but it was more wanting to talk before he had actually thought of what he had to say [ only fair I give Hora an easy one too] 😀

theteaboy
    Free Member

Does he stammer at all times of the day or is there some sort of pattern?

My nearly-3-year-old stammers sometimes when he’s sleepy and can’t process the words quickly enough.

warton
    Free Member

Laughably underfunded yes – wife is an NHS speech therapist, work load is insane, waiting times are into months, service is being marginalised to the point that I can’t see it existing in a meaningful form for much longer.

Totally agree, and the emphasis, IME, is very heavily weighted in the favour of stroke victims. Stutterers, esp. adult ones are not given much thought.

slimjim78
    Free Member

thanks for the advice so far, we will practice some of the suggestions.

He seems to stammer throughout the day, and 99% of the time it the first word.
    so far i’ve not been able to note a pattern.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Totally agree, and the emphasis, IME, is very heavily weighted in the favour of stroke victims. Stutterers, esp. adult ones are not given much thought.

Yep, that’s about the size of it.

TimP
    Free Member

My little girl is about the same age and sticks on the first word of sentences regularly, but we haven’t given it a second thought. She normally does it when excited and concentrating on something else she is doing, eg give her a new toy and she is trying to describe it without really knowing what it is or does.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’m 32 and am only now beginning to pull my life back together, stammering can destroy self-confidence and ruin or seriously restrict your enjoyment of life. You won’t do any harm by seeking help now, but could do a world of good.

Why could nt it do damage ? Obviously not in your case, but for some kids making a big deal out of a particular challenge might mean they develop nerves/a mental block around the issue. A more relaxed approach might give them time to master the task without it developing into a big deal.

Or on the other hand it may not, everyone is different, presumably the parents would be in the best position to judge.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

One of mine did it, turned out he was copying Bugs Bunny that he had been watching at the grandparents 🙁

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My little lad did exactly the same for about 6 months – I was a little worried but my wife just made sure everyone ingnored it so he didn’t get concerned about it, and it just went away. He was a very early talker and has amazing vocab for his age so I think he was often just processing too much and his mouth was letting his brain catch up!

It was actually really cute looking back!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wife is a speech therapist. Our little un did this at that age. Advice was to ignore it, do not make an issue of it in anyway. Didn’t even realise it had gone. Leave well alone.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2 year old son developed stammer – is this 'normal' ?’ is closed to new replies.