Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 2 year old Mondeo, under warranty, they can't fix it?!!
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

I have a 2 year old 140 TDCI mondeo. FSH, hence under warrant. It has developed a intermittent engine fault where it loses revs under acceleration. Fortunately the fault happened when the engineer was test driving it. It has been in twice to Ford who have replaced the fuel filter, which didn’t help and now they have replaced the fuel metering valve in the exhaust. And they have had the vehicle for 2 days of tests, but because the computer doesn’t show up a fault code, they really haven’t got a clue as to what is causing the problem.

At what point can I expect a replacement vehicle? At what point am I entitled to a replacement vehicle. It has done 38k, so mileage is only average.

Any suggestions/comments? All I want is a working car, my old Focus did 120k on a petrol, trouble free!!

Thanks

M1llh0use
    Free Member

far too many miles to reject it. best speaking to ford customer relations…

naffa
    Free Member

I heard there are known problems with the ecu’s which could be causing the problem. Ford may not acknowledge this but I know 2 people with 2010 Ford Mondeo 2l diesels who have had this problem.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Isn’t it the same principle as a washing machine that comes with a 5year warranty? If they can’t fix it they have to replace it? Surely thats the point of the warranty. I don’t want to reject the car, I just want it fixed, that is why I bought one under warranty.

If they can’t fix it, surely they have to replace it, at least for one of the same spec and mileage (i.e. not a new one)?

Thanks

singlesteed
    Free Member

Sounds like it needs remap from dealer

codybrennan
    Free Member

MM- no, its 2 years old. You don’t get to reject vehicles 2 years after you’ve had them.

Just get back and moan at them, and keep moaning- you’ll get there in the end, but you’ll need to be polite and persistent.

nickdavies

Good luck, I had a VW that did something like this, cutting the engine out (granted not bought new, but dealer not interested) and my Focus that was bought new randomly cuts out all the electrics. Neither garage interested as it would never happen when they were testing it.

The VW was a touch scary as everything went, including the power steering and it used to happen mid corner…. At least the focus still drives, I just have to pull over to reboot it.

parkesie
    Free Member

If its broke and they cant fixit a replace is the only route left surely be it a new one or a used one of same age and similar mileage. Keep on at them keep a record of all correspondence and set a reasonable time limit for them to resolve the problem before weeing in shoes.

sandwicheater

The VW was a touch scary as everything went, including the power steering and it used to happen mid corner

Had the exact same problem in my Focus. I’ll try and dig out the paperwork and see what they found the problem to be. Was fixed and been trouble free 6 years.

porter_jamie

op, email me

eranu
    Free Member

What does the car do when this happens i.e. does the car go into limp mode/glow plug light come on?

I had a similar thing with my Mondeo and it was the fuel pump, took them ages to diagnose.

mc
    Free Member

where it loses revs under acceleration
    Define loses revs?
    Does it stop revving, reduce power, just hesitate breifly?
    What does it take to get the power to recover?

Intermittent faults are among the most hated jobs of most techs, so getting as much information as possible from the customer is essential. Does it do more in certain gears? Flooring it from standstill? Putting your foot down after cruising for a bit? When cold? When Hot? Going uphill? Going downhill?

Next time it does it, think about these things, and what exactly you were doing just prior to problem. Then see if their is any kind of pattern.

I could speculate on quite a few possibilities, but without more information, it’s pure guesswork.

project
    Free Member

Rty putting some premium type fuyel in, shell v power, texaco or bp ultimate etc, warm engine up for a few miles then start of in first accelaerating hard till third, and watch all the crap fly out the back.

Works for me, also the newer bio diesels made from plants are know to produce a mopuld in the fuel tank clogging up the pump and filter along with pipes. http://www.intertek.com/biofuels/biodiesel/fuel-filter-blocking-problems/

steve_b77
    Free Member

That happened to mine, eventually they replaced the turbo, manifold, a shit load of sensors, cats, fly wheel and clutch. That solved the problem

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

The dealer had a very accurate description of the fault. When accelerating from 1.9k revs – through the 2’s, the rev needle dips and loses 2-400 revs, then usually it picks up again, sometimes it will only pick up to the point where it lost power and other times it will rev through. It happens when accelerating in 4th 5th and 6th gear, usually when going uphill and usually when pulling from 1.9k revs to 2.1-3 k revs. It usually happens on motorway hills, when overtaking or pulling on to a motorway etc.

The car doesn’t go into limp mode, no warning lights on on dash.

What are the consumer rights? Surely there must be some?

elliott-20
    Free Member

I had a very similar sounding problem, albeit with a petrol Passat. Took ages to track it down but the problem was with the Mass Air Flow meter registering the wrong air flow because it was dirty. Ultimately didn’t show up as a fault as, for all intents and purposes it thought it was registering it as correct.

May not be the answer but worth a shout.

woody2000

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me, but I know nowt 🙂

Consumer rights – at 2 years old and in warranty, I’d guess they’re exactly what you’re getting – full back up from the dealer to rectify the fault.

nemesis
    Free Member

I had a Focus from nearly new from a main dealer. The A/C kept failing because it lost the coolant. They worked on it 6 times trying to repair it and failing each time. IMO they did the cheapest things to try and fix it – two regasses, then the cheaper parts and only finally when I wrote a letter complaining did they fix it properly by replacing the compressor (IIRC).

Basically kick up a fuss and you’re more likely to get something done.

legend
    Free Member

The dealer had a very accurate description of the fault. When accelerating from 1.9k revs – through the 2’s, the rev needle dips and loses 2-400 revs,

I hope it’s better than the one you’ve given here – I’m still confused if it’s losing revs on the counter or if the car’s slowing down.

Regardless, just keep going back for more + having a a chat with Ford Customer Care can be very helpful

matthewmountain
    Free Member

It is losing revs on the counter, and hence speed/acceleration. The engineer has seen the fault during the road test.

mc
    Free Member

I wish all customers/drivers could give such a good description of faults!

Given the relatively tight rev range it happens in, I’d be away for a roadtest with the datalogger running (the Ford diagnostic datalogger is one of the best in terms of how accurately it records what you want), specifically monitoring actual and desired fuel pressure, air flow, and boost pressure.

The rev range the problem happens in, is one where quite a few key things are going on.
    Boost pressure will most likely be increasing quickly and reaching maximum, so any turbo control or air flow issues are likely to appear.
    The fuel injection pressure will also be maxing out to cope with the extra boost pressure, at the same time as the number of injection pulses will also be decreasing so any fuel pressure or injector issues may show up.

It’s a case of getting a good datalog, and analysing it to see what does something it shouldn’t first.
    For example, if it’s fuel pressure going high, you’d see the actual pressure increase past the desired, and then if the metering valve got closed further followed by a sudden drop in fuel pressure, which then results ina drop in boost pressure, then it would most likely be the metering valve sticking (although problems in this area are usually most notable with cutting out at idle, or a triggering of the overpressure valve combined with lots of fault codes).
    Or if it was a turbo problem such as sticking actuator, you might see it go over pressure, followed by a reduction in the wastegate command, followed by a sudden drop in air pressure, at which point fuel pressure gets reduced because there’s not as much boost pressure.

Regardless, recreating the fault with a datalogger is the biggest problem.

Speshpaul

There many things that could be the fault.
    I’m not that up to speed on Mk4’s but I’d take a look at wastegate/EGR system these can get gunked up and sticky.
    We had a similar sounding issue with are Mk3 Tdci. a fuel additive (eurocarparts) stopped that and put about 4 miles on a gallon.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

MC thanks.

The engineer took the car home overnight (about 20 mile commute) with some data logger thing running. Apparently the fault didn’t happen when he did this, but equally I don’t know if he had the acceleration range where it becomes a problem to test it.

Thanks for all replies.

Northwind

FWIW the symptoms almost exactly match what my mk3 did when the MAF went wrong- no fault codes, very intermittant and couldn’t recreate on demand. It did smoke noticably while doing it mind- believe it was overfuelling. (Nice easy DIY diagnosis on the mk3, since it runs pretty well with the MAF unplugged! You just remove it entirely and see what happens.)

Though that’s pretty basic stuff they should already have considered I think and would definitely show up on the logger if they can get it to happen while plugged in.

As far as the guarantee goes- they have to fix it, in a “reasonable time” but you’re not there yet- they’re still investigating. If they throw in the towel or it’s taking excessive time to resolve, then things should change.

cakefacesmallblock

I’d suspect MAF or EGR. Because they are physically there, the ecu doesn’t realise they aren’t working properly and compensates by reducing or increasing fuel and nothing shows on diagnostic things.
    I’ve known several VW with MAF issues and had two Vauxhalls where they’ve been replaced. I also know of several VW vans with EGR issues causing poor running at low rpm.

duckers
    Free Member

Fuel filter.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Fuel filter was there first “easy answer” as it gets changed at the 37k service.

granny_ring

Sandwicheater, gearbox speed sensor?

antigee

best speaking emailing ford customer relations…

this is one route – i used it with a ford that had an aircon problem that the dealer couldn’t find and i was fed up with the car being at the dealer and not actually being available to me – think i asked them to find me a dealer that could fix the problem properly under warranty or what other solutions they could provide

got a lot of apologies from the dealer and a fix that worked and wasn’t a we’ll just try this until we get it right

^^someone up there said something like you can’t reject a 2 year old car
    I’d check that with trading standards or whatever they are called nowadays – they will probably have a standard letter you can use – along with the history of inconvenience to you ….the vehicle is not fit for purpose – a formal rejection might wake the dealer up into asking Ford to do an expensive fix

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s the turbo giving up, it happened to mine. Starts intermittently as you described and then it results in total failure. Doesn’t show on the ECU as a sensor fault.

spockrider
    Free Member

If your vehicle is under warranty and has shown a problem during test at the garage, then they are not obliged to replace your vehicle unless the vehicle is damaged beyond repair. However they do have to fix it, whatever the cost, under your warranty agreement.

You could try forcing the issue with a threat of trading standards and tell them that the car has been sold unfit for purpose as it had a known fault at time of sale, which the dealer did not reveal to you. It may work, but they have to be given time to find the fault and fix it. You may also be able to claim for alternative transport or hire through your warranty.

2hottie
    Free Member

@ Nick Davies

My 2012 Focus – Petrol did a similar thing. It would cut all the electrics at random thus all the lights and dash would flash and the car would die, brakes, steering and the like. Scared the wife as she was turning onto the freeway.

It took Ford a few days to work it out, car was driven by the Mechanic for a week (gave us a fancy loan focus) with two laptops plugged in constantly. Alternator changed, wiring changed to battery, new battery – it took an old boy Mechanic to work out that I had attached a static strip to an exhaust mount at the rear of the car, which I thought was ok as it wasn’t touching the exhaust, but turns out that doing that can kill the ECU! thus shorting the car out.

So the dealer worked it out in the end and were very good about it all. I didn’t pay for fuel and had a loan car/s for around two weeks in total. Being reasonable worked for me. They knew I was getting annoyed and did there best to fix it. When I met with the dealer manager to collect the car he was amazed it was the static strip, we laughed it off called it quits! (Note Aussie dealer) No issues since and that was over a year ago.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

EGR are an arse. We have a fleet of fords and they give the same symptoms, without any codes showing. Also, could be an issue with a crank sensor, as diesels have them too, I believe. We have just had a van with an intermittent stall and was traced as a faulty oxygen sensor. Sadly these cars now have a multitude of things it could be, which is not very good when you just want them fixed quickly, even if plug in machines are there to help. I’m still thinking egr, even a new one can be duff, if its been changed.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, they have been far more useful than anything I have found on any car forums!!

To complicate matters the car was bought from a car supermarket. It has a Ford manufactures warranty and has been serviced by Ford, but wasn’t bought from a main dealer.

No idea how this affects consumer rights?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with a 2.5 BMW diesel – was the MAF sensor which I don’t think necessarily shows on diagnostics.

codybrennan
    Free Member

That won’t affect any consumer rights MM, don’t worry there.

I’m sure they’ll get it sorted in the end, sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

steveh

MM – You are right that if they cannot fix the fault then they should put you back in the position you were in before the fault happened. You wouldn’t get a new car but one of similar age, miles and condition would be a reasonable expectation.

However they have to have reasonable opportunity to repair the fault which would be more than one go certainly. If this is the second time they’ve had it then I’d keep playing fairly nice for this time and if it still unrepaired be a little more formal, write them a letter to record the issue and what you want etc. The consumer advice line would be worth a call for further advice.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘2 year old Mondeo, under warranty, they can't fix it?!!’ is closed to new replies.