• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2 x 9 set up
  • dallas95
    Free Member

Anyone running 2 x 9 gearing? If you are what size rings and cassette ratios do you have? I have been given a 38 saint front ring and I have a 24 xtr ring in the parts box so was thinking of giving them a go. Is the 14 tooth gap too much?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

no different to the gap between 22 & 36 on a standard SLX double.

sssimon
    Free Member

38 saint won’t have ramps or pins so won’t shift the best

jambon
    Free Member

Standard SLX double is great. I don’t see the point in a mega low (large) 1st on the cassette ever, though.

Conan257
    Free Member

22-32 front and 11-36 rear. Works well for me!

AlasdairMc

Will the XTR and Saint work together or is there an XTR-only standard at play here?

SLX double for me, 36-22 with an 11-34 cassette.

Northwind

22/36 on mine. Could go up to a 24/36 easily but can’t really see any point.

Saint ring should fit on an XTR crank, if they’re recent, but older XTR had a different BCD for the bigger rings. XTR little ring won’t fit on a Saint double crank. XTR chainring sizes are Shimano’s little joke on their customers.

dallas95
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the xtr difference on the bcd. Rain check for now, might wait until I need to replace cassette and chain as well and then bite the bullet and go 2 x 10.

Northwind

M970 XTR has standard BCDs… But a damnfool specific granny ring standard. You can fit standard granny rings to M970, with spacers, but you can’t fit M970 granny rings to standard cranks.

Because? Because.

tomhoward

22-32 up front with 11-32 out back. It’s gooood.

Simpsan
    Free Member

38-26 XT upfront coupled to 11-34 9 speed rear with X0 shifters and rear mech.
    10 speed XT front mech and 9 speed chain. Running flawlessly so far 🙂

cp

26-36 & 11-34 on the xc race bike

22-36 & 11-34 on the 456

Works great, really like it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2 x 9 set up’ is closed to new replies.