Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2 x 9 question
  • julioflo
    Free Member

If i’m running 2 x 9 with a 36T chainring as big ring up front, can I run a mid length cage rear mech ok? Or is 36T still too big?

Have 2 x 9 set up and working well with a long cage rear mech, but the long mech looks odd…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Medium cage is fine. I run medium cage SRAM X9 with a 36/22 front and 11/34 cassette

nedrapier

check the cpaacity of the mid cage. might be 33T

compare that to what you need for what you’ve got:

Big chainring minus little ‘ring + biggest cassette sprocket minus smallest sprocket

eg 36-22+34-11 = 13+23 = 36

nedrapier

or listen to CMW. Less maths.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I wrecked a med cage slx with a m666 double and an 11-34 cassette. It’s just outside capacity. You need to do the sums!

julioflo
    Free Member

This is why I love STW!

Someone says it’ll be fine, someone else indicates that it won’t work, kit will get destroyed!

I’ll do the maths….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

This is why I love STW!

Someone says it’ll be fine, someone else indicates that it won’t work, kit will get destroyed!

I’ll do the maths….

I reckon there’s maths and there’s reality. I don’t know what the SRAM capacity is, and IIRC the Shimano stated capacity is smaller than SRAM. They have to allow for idiots people putting the drivetrain into big/big and stomping on it with maximum force. In the real world, just make sure you don’t do this. I’ve been running my 36/22 and 11/34 with a medium cage for 3 years without problems

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I hope that idiot comment isnt aimed at me!

The snag is that with a double you’ll inevitably end up in the biggest cog. Mine lasted one ride before the top jockey wheel bearing was busted and the cage then twisted.

cookeaa

I’m using 36/22 with 11-32 and an SLX medium cage mech (GS) at the minute, theres plenty of capacity left on that setup for a 11-34 IMO, although the SLX M662 mech only seems to come in Medium and Long, and the “Medium” isn’t all that short when you look at something like a saint…

I can only imagine you would use a long cage 9 speed shadow mech if you wanted to use an 11-34 cassette with a triple, and for just about everything else (1/2 x 9) a Medium would be more than ample…

Actually does anyone need a 11-34 cassette with a double though? I mean as a gear 22-34 is pretty spinney…

Why not stick with an 11-32 cassette unless you want to run 38/24, 40/26 or 40/28 up front, then 11-34 might make a shade more sense… Right?

perthmtb
    Free Member

36/22 front, 11/32 rear, medium cage Saint – no problems!

organic355
    Free Member

I am running 39-26 X0 chainset up front, 11-34 at rear, with medium cage XO mech. no problems at all.

39-26 + 34-11 = 13 + 23 = 36.

SRAM medium cage Xo capacity = 37 so its fine, but I believe you can go pretty close to the limit if not a little over.

EDIT in fact its the same medium cage mech i was running with a 44T up front before I went 2 x 9 and there were stil no problems there either with same mech and casette.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2 x 9 question’ is closed to new replies.