• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2 x 10 setups. What are you running?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

So im about to take the plunge into 2 x 10 set up with a chain guide. Going I have a Canyon AM, and I the frame has non standard ISG tabs. Will a bottom bracket mounted chain device work? Thinking of going with the superstar one.
    Also what chain ring sizes are people running? I think I am currently running a 24/36/44 triple. Was thinking of going to 24/38? Any thoughts?

Cheers

B

Scapegoat

mine is XT M 785. I don’t run a chain device but do have a bb mounted mrp bash. 38 26 at the front and 11-36 cassette at first, but I’m old and unfit so I’ve put a 24 on the granny.

composite
    Free Member

On my Five I run a SLX triple converted to a double. Chain rings are 26-36 with 11-36 cassette and and E-13 hive bash. Also running a bottom bracket mounted double chain device, the Blackspire Stinger. I looked at getting the superstar one (got plenty of other SS bits) but reviews didn’t fill me with confidence.

fakesounding
    Free Member

I’m running the full XT M785 set with 26/38 cranks, medium shadow plus rear mech, 11-36 cassette and a blackspire stinger chain devive

billyboy
    Free Member

I was extremely skeptical about 2 x 10, but I’ve been using a 38/24 double with 11/36 outback for the past two weeks on a 29er, and it hasn’t made me want to kick it into touch yet.

cazum
    Free Member

22 36 on front 11-36 on rear

Scapegoat

I’ve also got a converted XT 2x9spd and bash, which is 36/22 and an 11-34. That has a BB mounted Blackspire Stinger and a Deda Dog fang to keep things in check. I also run the chain as short as I dare and a med cage mech. Stingers review a whole lot better than theh Superstar ones.

matther01
    Free Member

36/24 SLX HT, 38/26 XT FS both 11-36

mboy
    Free Member

Got 24/36/bash and 11-36 on both MTB’s these days.

Rarely ever use the granny on both, but its nice to have it just in case. Tried 1×10 for a while, managed pretty much everywhere, but with a 32 up front I ran out of steam up top a bit early, and with a 36 I found I wanted a lower gear for climbing occasionally. 2×10 gives me all the ratios I would ever need (and some silly low ones I don’t need too, but they’re there just in case).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Full XT, clutch mech, 11-34 cassette, 26/38 rings.

Perfik. Doesn’t need a chain guide for my riding.

🙂

42/365 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

theotherjonv

26/38 on an 11:36 rear. On a 26er fwiw.

I have a 24t inner as well for really big days out where bail out might be needed, but for most riding so far 26 is fine

Why this talk of chainguides? Why is a double front any different from a triple in that respect? The derailleur keeps it on?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone running a 10 speed double chainset with 9 speed shifter, front mech and rear end?

Are 10 speed doubles wider spaced?

chives
    Free Member

Same XT set up as Peter Poddy. I’ve not had any issues with chain droppage either, wholly reliant on the shadow plus mech, and front mech for retention duties. Had a slight issue with an over-long chain joining pin, but a few minutes with a file sorted that. I do use the 26t front for some of the hills locally, but find the trail centre’s fine on the 38t.

nickc

Iwas extremely skeptical about 2 x 10

me too, I was wrong. Using 40/28, glad ’cause it’s still a bit spinny

palmer77
    Free Member

I’m waiting for a set of XT 38-26 cranks to run with an 11-36 cassette with a medium shadow plus mech. I also ordered the shimano chain to go with it despite generally using KMC as I understand the shimano ones are now directional. Anyone running this setup with a chain other than shimano?

Kryton57

XT 40/28 here with 34:11. I find the bigger gear much better for fast cruising on bridleways and roads you often find at events over 50k. I like to think I have a performance advantage…. 8)

Kryton57

XT 40/28 here with 34:11. I find the bigger gear much better for fast cruising on bridleways and roads you often find at events over 50k. I like to think I have a performance advantage…. 8)

Scapegoat

palmer77 – Member
    I’m waiting for a set of XT 38-26 cranks to run with an 11-36 cassette with a medium shadow plus mech. I also ordered the shimano chain to go with it despite generally using KMC as I understand the shimano ones are now directional. Anyone running this setup with a chain other than shimano?

Yep, KMC…. no problems.

chives
    Free Member

Expecting a Connex Wipermann chain to turn up any day now, as an alternative to the shimano jobby. Time will tell.

palmer77
    Free Member

Thanks, got the Shimano but prefer KmC a hate fiddling with Shimano’s link pins.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Forget it and go 1×10 32 up front clutch rear mech and 11-36 casette

I toyed with going 2×10 after running 2×9 but found that 1×10 gets me

round any of my local welsh mountain trails without hassle

Taff
    Free Member

39/29 with 11-36 cassette. Seems ok to me. Don’t sue the 29 much around this way though

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 setups. What are you running?’ is closed to new replies.