Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2 x 10 options (26er)
  • KarlE
    Free Member

Hi guys,i need to replace my worn cassette,chain and a chainring but am thinking of going from 3 x 10 to 2 x 10. Is it just a simple case of a double chainset,cassette and chain? Can the current front mech be adjusted to compensate the change or would i need to buy a specific double front mech? What gear ratio’s do you run or what would you advise for a 26er

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on your legs but normal ratios go around 24-38/39 which gives a very decent range.
    I’ve used double specific and triple front mechs, never done much to the triple ones just made sure it’s set right.
    Chain can be a bit shorter but set in the normal way.

Cranks are personal preference but I have ended up with the SRAM or Raceface ones with Hope BB’s for ease of fitting etc.

DickBarton

Front mech will be fine, suspect a triple may have a slightly different width between the plates but otherwise it’ll work without any fuss.
    I found a 39 tooth more useful than a 38 as I felt I was spinning out my gears too early. Reality was I wasn’t but I was spinning my legs too much for my liking.

njee20
    Free Member

Personal really. I liked 28/40.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve had a compact 22/36 but found the granny too small with an 11-36 cassette, have now settled on a 26/38 with the same 11-36 cassette and all is good!

cp

I ran 26/36 on a triple crank (inner and middle ring positions) for ages and it worked great – used it competitively in trailquests and the like.

i.e. didn’t do anything except remove outer ring, put a 4 quid 26t inner and 12 quid deore 36t chainring on, and adjust mech end stop to stop it going any further than the middle ring.

qwerty
    Free Member

Always been 24/36 on a 26er with a 11/32 cassette, just opted for a 11/34 cassette on a 650b with same chainrings, its what works for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 options (26er)’ is closed to new replies.