Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2 x 10 Front Mech – Issue?
  • cromega1991
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Trek X-Caliber 9 running a SRAM X7 front mech 2 x 10 set-up with Shimano shifters. This is standard spec for the factory.

Shifting from the small to large chain ring on the front seems to be an issue. Some of the time it goes in smoothly, other times I need to keep the shifter pressed in.

Is this normal?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long have you had it? Has it ever shifted properly? Bit more cable tension probably.

PJay
    Free Member

Lots of things can affect shifting (cadence, pressure on the pedals, which sprocket on the back your in) and I sometimes have to overshift and keep pressure on the lever a little but if it’s a real problem you might have cable tension issues (try tightening it a tad). You could also try eeking the high limit screw out a tiny bit but need to be careful you don’t overdo it and start throwing the chain off.

I’m pretty out of date with drivetrains (I’m still 3×9) but always thought that SRAM and Shimano had different cable pull ratios but if your set up is stock from the factory I guess it’s fine (perhaps it was just rear mechs.)

cromega1991
    Free Member

The bike is about 10 months old and has recently been serviced by my local bike shop, with new cables etc.

It never has been the smoothest shift but seems to have got worse.

Looking at it last night, keeping the shifter pressed in moves the mech slightly further out than the normal position for the large chain ring, allowing it to change.

PJay
    Free Member

keeping the shifter pressed in moves the mech slightly further out than the normal position for the large chain ring, allowing it to change.

I sounds like your limit settings are fine then, that’d be cable tension (cables can stretch a little from new); try tightening it up from the barrel adjuster on the shifter.

orangespyderman

I had a Trek that I had XT shifters on an SRAM X7 front. Ended up swapping the front derailleur for an XT and wish I’d done it the day I got it. Not saying the X7 didn’t shift because it did, just that I never had it set up to shift so cleanly as the XT derailleur does. In fact when I put the XT on I set it up fairly basically (just checked height, made sure it was lined up correctly and set limits to where I thought they would be OK) and fully expected to have to fettle it a bit to get it really just right. Never fettled it. 🙂

cromega1991
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone, so it’s safe to say that having to keep the lever pressed in to change isn’t normal?

fifeandy
    Free Member

I have pretty much the same issue with my X7 front mech.
    Works great while drivetrain is perfectly clean.
    Tiniest bit of muck and it exhibits exactly the issue you describe.

I’ve come to the conclusion the X7 2×10 mech is just a bit pants, but in my case not quite pants enough to spend cash on replacing it. Can lead to a sore thumb though by the end of a 10hr race.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Fifeandy, it’s good to know that I’m not the only one with the issue.

My plan of action then, give it a really thorough clean and if the issue still persists take it in for adjustment again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My plan of action then, give it a really thorough clean and if the issue still persists take it in for adjustment again.

If you wind the barren adjust out to bring some more tension into the cable it should lift the mech a little more and make the shift better. Thats the basic adjustment, also when it’s down on the lower stop, take up any slack in the cable so it’s tight.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’m not very good when it comes to adjusting gears, can never seem to get it right. Might try the barrel adjuster though, but usually make things worse if I try the limit screws or tension.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Just an update on this and some more advice needed please.

I’ve adjusted the cable tension and can get the front gears changing smoothly in my garage or even on the flat off-road.

As soon as I start going uphill it won’t change between the smallest and largest ring at the front?

Any ideas please people?

dirtydog
    Free Member

can get the front gears changing smoothly in my garage or even on the flat off road

As soon as I start going uphill it won’t change between the smallest and largest ring at the front?

Any ideas please people?

Technique or more tension!

Would avoid changing from 22 chainring to the 36 when going uphill, if you must, put in a couple of powerful strokes prior to shifting and just ease the power back on, don’t try it under full load.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 Front Mech – Issue?’ is closed to new replies.