Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2 x 10 downsides?
  • charliemort

Am thinking of switching over when existing stuff wears out

but – i spend most of the time on a 32 (and yes I’d love to go 1 x 10 but need some easier gears uphill and more top speed, before someone tells me to mtfu etc)

so – say on a 24 / 38 – I can see me running out of gears on the 38 then crashing down to the 24 and having to change a couple of the gears on the cassette also. not really a problem (similar to a road compact I guess) but don’t you find you’re on not quite the right chainring size a lot of the time?

any find this?

thanks

MadPierre

You’ll be better off with a 26 than a 24 for the little ring. You don’t need the smaller one as you can have 36 at the back.

I find running 2×10 there is less “stick in middle then bail to granny” instead it’s switch to granny earlier and use the block sensibly.

traildog
    Free Member

Yes. You lose your middle ring but you swap between the two rings mores. Personally I prefer a single ring up front but you said not to suggest this.

Dickyboy

Yes, went 2 x 9 with 22/36 chainset, soon changed it to 22/32 because of the large chainwheel jump, don’t actually miss the higher gears. If you say are going to change in the future, then why don’t you trial the max & min ratios to see what you are happy with & then see what 2 x 10 chain ring sizes will suit to see if you can keep the chain ring jump to a minimum. I also have a triple on my road bike for the same reasons.

tang
    Free Member

26/38 and 36 outback. You will be surprised how handy the 38 is with the full use of the block. MadP is right about dumping to the granny early and use the block, good practice even on a triple!

charliemort

madpierre / tang – yup that is making complete sense. i only use 2 or 3 gears on the cassette when on the granny (and very rarely the 34 – that would be for a wild leg spinning frenzy up a rock step or something…)- with a bigger grany I can see you using most of the block

traildog – yup, 1 x 10 would be great *most* of the time, but for me I would need lower than 36 / 36 and I’d want minimum 36 up front

cp

I’ve just gone 26/36 with 11-34 out back (9 speed) on the xc race bike. It works brilliantly, and front shifting is uber slick.

by getting rid of the 44 and going 36, you only effectively loose one gear – 44-11. the next gear up on the cassette is 13t, and 36-11 is near as dammit identical to 44-13.

I’m a big gear masher and I don’t miss the largest gear at all.

On the back of that, I’ve changed the day-to-day mtb to double and bash 22-36.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m running a 26/39 on a full sus having previously used a conventional set up on a hardtail. It really suits me as someone who prefer to spin with a high cadence rather than force a big gear. It’s more than enough for the hills of Hampshire and West Sussex and I was nervous about riding proper hills back in Wales but it felt really good. The only downside is that I tend to spin out at times when going downhill. I’m using an epic but hen I rode my brother in laws anthem with a double it felt awful and he changed it to a triple. He now has a spark with a double and that feels fine. I wonder if shock linkage has an affect on it or not

boltonjon

I’ve been using a 26/38 for 3 months and love it – much better than a triple

With a 36 on the back, a 22 was far to small and i only used it because it was there – i can still get up the same gradient, but now i have to work harder

I might reduce the 38 to a 36 when the big ring wear out though – i rarely ride on the road and if i’m spinning out going downhill of-road, then i really need to slow down!! 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 downsides?’ is closed to new replies.