Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2 x 10 and chainline questions.
  • renton
    Free Member

So Ive recently converted my bike to 2 x 10 and after having done a couple of rides I have a question…

I am a bit concerned about the chainline.. if im in the largest front cog and on the top half of the rear cassette the chain line seems a bit iffy and I can here the chain rubbing ??

Also looking at the bike upside down the chain seems to bend away from the chain set and then also from the lower jocky wheel at the back?

Not the best pictures but should give you an idea on what im on about.

Is this normal ??

renton
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crew!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Mine have always been like that on 2×9. Bit noisey when it gets muddy but no real problems.

Think that’s why the wider spaced (142mm?) rear hubs are being introduced to give a better chainline?

hirise

I think I see a bottom bracket spacer on the drive side. Move it to the non-drive side. It makes a small but useful difference. Had to do this a few times.

slackalice
    Free Member

I posed this question on here a couple of weeks ago, more due to my curiosity. The consensus from the few responses I received were ambivalent towards it and I got the impression that people neither knew or cared. Which surprised me, because it is important if only to reduce premature wear, which your experience shows will occur.

I have since checked out Sheldon Brown, who suggests that a double requires a chainline of circa 43.5mm, whereas a triple is best set between 47.5 to 50mm.

How many spacers do have have on the DS crank? Possibly 2, each of which are 2.5mm. Try removing one first and check the chainline, although it will always be ‘off’ with the big ring to bigger cogs or vice versa, but you’re just looking to ease the situation. If you want, you can remove the other one and check that. 1mm metal shims are available, if you feel that does too much.

Hope that helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10 and chainline questions.’ is closed to new replies.