Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2 simple (i hope) questions about Motion Control dampers
  • jedimaster
    Free Member

1. Why is the compression adjuster (or lock out) so much easier to turn on air models, compared to coil ones? over the past 2 years I had 2 air forks (pike 454 uturn dual air + recon race solo air) and 2 coil forks (tora 318 uturn coil + pike 409 uturn coil) and the coil ones require so much more effort to lock out. Any ideas?

2. Is it possible to swap dampers round between coil and air forks? Basically i’m planning to switch from 454 dual air uturn pikes to 409 uturn coil ones. The 454 MC damper also comes with a floodgate adjustment which the 409 lacks. So can I just put a 454 MC damper into the 409 pike? Would it be a straight swap or will I need any additional parts/spacers etc?

Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

1. No idea only had air
    2. you can but i am not sure HOW Peter Poddy or Mojo can probably help re this

LoCo
    Free Member

Damper swap fine, stiffness probably dirt ingress no difference on internals unless they’re TK units rather than MoCos.

Mojo only do fix junkyard 😉

jedimaster
    Free Member

Thanks LoCo 🙂

do I need to remove the lowers to take out the damper?

i’ll give the 409 a lowers service anyway as part of the procedure but I can’t be bothered to do the same with the 454 – can I just take out the 454 damper and put it in the 409?

jedimaster
    Free Member

bump

Northwind

You don’t- you remove the compression damper from the top, you need to remove teh dial first then you’ll see a big hex head (24mm?) that you can remove the damper with.

Rebound is a bit more involved, don’t know if they’re the same between the two. But in all honesty, if you’re doing the swapping you probably might as well go the whole hog and do a strip and service, unless it’s been done recently?

jedimaster
    Free Member

nice one, thanks Northwind

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2 simple (i hope) questions about Motion Control dampers’ is closed to new replies.