Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2 short days at Afan – what to ride?
  • davosaurusrex

Arriving Friday lunchtime at Bryn Bettws lodge, BPW Saturday, leaving mid avo Sunday. Been years since we’ve been there, what’s good now? The bike park at the lodge looks good fun and will be ridden but also want to go for a ride ride like. Max descending fun for requisite climbing effort as usual please

Fanks!

chrispo
    Free Member

You could prob ride everything in two afternoons. But blade is the best. If you like the black at the end of the wall right by where you’re staying you could head over the masts for more scary enduro stuff. I would give blue scar a miss unless you like kitty litter.

davosaurusrex

Cheers. Y Wall one day and Blade the other with some twatting about in the bike park should do the job

br
    Free Member

Arriving Friday lunchtime at Bryn Bettws lodge,

You’ve 6-7 hours on Friday already, so that covers everything but Skyline.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d do W2 on the Friday, Blade on the Sunday.

lustyd
    Free Member

How are people OK with riding everything in a weekend? Do you guys just amble about or are you incredibly fit? I did White’s Level on Saturday and that was me done for the day!

prawny

How long do the reds take at Afan for an average type solo human male.

Going on holiday to the area and I’m taking my bike, normally do the same in Scotland and can get Dalbeattie done with a 40 min drive in each direction, staying a similar distance from Afan in the summer but the MBR trail centre guide has them all at 3+ hours

martinhutch

Y Wal first afternoon incorporating a muck about in the bike park. Blade the other day. You could do more on the Friday, but I reckon you’ll be feeling pretty battered on the Sunday if you do.

ferrals
    Free Member

@Prawny, without stopping: Penhydd about an hour, the others about an hour and a half, maybe 2hrs for Blade.

prawny

Cheers ferrals, should be bang on the money then.

So Y Wal and Blade are must do, I’ll do one other, or a ride over Rhosilli downs, any recommend?

davosaurusrex

Need to save our legs for BPW on the Saturday (yes, I know it’s uplifted, still takes it out of you) and will then prob be battered on the Sunday so steady away Friday and Sunday I think

daddyoe
    Free Member

W2 and Blade for sure, be fully recovered and enjoy Blade, W2 is enjoyable just dont eat too much for Lunch at the Glyncorrwg(I think) centre. The first climb out after it is a bit of a gut buster

soobalias
    Free Member

friday afternoon, back half of Y Wal, penhydd, then first half of Y Wal, with playing in the bike park to finish/tune up for BPW

Sunday, pack up and call into GCP to do Whites. if you are brave/fit enough do Blade/Skyline after

ferrals
    Free Member

Re. Rhosilli, are you staying in Gower Prawny? Depends on time of year, currently boggy. Gower more scenic type riding there are some good sneaky techy bits but short. Some good but short trail centre type stuff in Clyne woods.

prawny

Staying down at Caswell Bay mid august with the family. I have been known to get up at 4am to go out on my bike. I’ll have use of the car, but need to be back at base by 8:30 sharp.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ll PM you

prawny

Swag

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m back up to Afan in a couple of weeks. Typically there is a load of us doing late Friday, all day Saturday and morning Sunday (for anyone who can be arsed). We always stay near Glyncorrwg Ponds and do Whites and Blade then W2 over the weekend. This time its just two of us, one of which hasnt been before, and I’m staying on the coast in a hotel, should I stick with starting at Whites or the other centre?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2 short days at Afan – what to ride?’ is closed to new replies.