Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2-ring crankset setup.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anybody spent any time using one of these? How does it compare to the 3-ring/9 sprocket drivetrain?

Del

they're gears. decide how many you want, and what ratios. simple.
    despite this there have been a number of threads on this topic.
    summary:
    singlespeed, 2×9 granny and middle, 2×9 middle and big, 2×9 some other ratio, 2×9 with or without bash, 1×9 ( dérailleur ), 1×8 ( alfine ), 1×11 ( alfine still to come ), 1×14 ( rolhoff ).

i use 2×9 with bash and 22/32.
    i also ss.
    i also use an alfine.
    all of the above are ace.

HTH.

firestarter
    Free Member

i use 22/36 with 11-32 got my same low gears but lose a couple of high gears but find the 36 ring is a very comfy ring for staying in where as before i was up and down middle/big rings

thomthumb
    Free Member

compare how?

I've been running 22-36 11-32 on 29er and 26".

on the 29er the gaps between gears on the casette are more noticable in the 36T ring than with a 32T or on the 26". This is not a problem for me; it's not a race bike.

I like the gear spread better with two rings; it allows you to use half the casette with one chainring, shift chainrings then use the other half of the casette with less overlap and confusion than trying to do this on 3 rings.

HTH

njee20
    Free Member

Been running doubles for 4 years now, 44/32, then 42/30, 40/28 9 speed and now 42/28 10 speed, I personally find no need for a triple, and welcome the widespread adoption of doubles.

This has been absolutely done to death though, there must be another thread on the first page!

bigdawg
    Free Member

Ive been riding 2 ring 8 speed ever since I lost the little connector nut for my granny ring about…..oooh…..1999… Run a 28 11 cassette and have been racing every summer since, have never needed to change lower than Ive got…

brakes
    Free Member

it basically takes away the extreme ends of the gears = the ones you never use i.e. the ones you'd use on the road going downhill trying to escape from a pre-menstrual Chuck Norris, or the ones you'd use climbing up the Matterhorn in a headwind with an elephant in your pocket

wwaswas

I'be been running 29/42 up front with a 32 max at the back for about 2 months on my geared HT. Not really missed the granny ring tbh and I seem to spend less time shifting between rings at the front now. I've nver really been a twiddler up hills though, and less so having ridden a SS for a lot of the winter months.

cookeaa

It’s been asked a few times, suffice to say in many cases you need to select suitable Chain ring sizes and Cassette spread to accommodate your intended use.
    For instance if you plan to spin your way up the odd climb then keeping a 22t granny and having an 11-32t or 11-34t cassette can be advantageous but you are then rather more limited on the size your other chain ring can go up to (36t).

If you’re a bit more of a Grauncher you can go for a higher tooth count granny and thus a bigger “big” ring (I believe the biggest allowable difference between chain rings is 14t using an SLX or similar Front mech) so a 26/40 would give you a taller top gear (40-11) but obviously you loose out on ultimate spinney gears, quite good for Proper XC racing snakes, less fun for those with a finite level of fitness/stamina

Obviously the wider the spread of your cassette the bigger the jumps between certain gears, so while an 11-34: 9speed will give you the option of having that ultimate spinney gear you will potentially have at least one uncomfortable jump between 2 gears (often near the middle).Of course an 11-28: 9speed Cassette will give more comfortable smaller steps between gears but doesn’t provide that ultimate spinney top gear should you require it….

Basically you will be narrowing the range of gears you have; where a “typical” triple setup (22/32/42 with an 11-32t cassette) gives you what could be considered a full spread, very broad choice of ratios (albeit with some replication, and possibly some minor jumps) you have to select which particular range of gearing you want with a double ring setup, either a bit tall or a bit spinney….

Did that maske any sense?

jamesb
    Free Member

yes lots sense, but what is available?? I`ve seen Middleburn, Saint, any others, PMP??

Northwind

"jamesb – Member

yes lots sense, but what is available?? I`ve seen Middleburn, Saint, any others, PMP?? "

Practically every half decent crank ever?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2-ring crankset setup.’ is closed to new replies.