Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2 questions about BB7s
  • steveoath
    Free Member

1) Mine are squealing like **** at the moment, any way to remedy it? (May be linked with Q2 though.

2) Anyone explain how to tighten the brakes up (they’ve been on the commuter for a couple of months) as they are becoming quite “squishy”.

Thanks, Steve.

druidh
    Free Member

Have you used the pad adjusters – the red dials?

The squealing seems to come from road contamination. I had the same problem commuting with them. Just find a big hill every few days and batter down it then drag the brakes to get them really hot. That always cured it for me.

steveoath
    Free Member

I’ll have a footer with the adjusters before I head home. I found them so tricky to set up that I gave in and LBS-ed it. Hoping adjusted isn’t as tricky.

druidh
    Free Member

Learn to adjust them. That’s a critical part of maintaining their efficiency. There are videos on YouTube.

avdave2

Your cables may have stretched a little as well. Don’t use the cable adjust to move the pads in though,only to adjust the cable, use the dials, 2 clicks on the big dial for each click on the small dial if they are set up properly to start with (the rotor does not sit in the centre of the pads IIRC it’s 1/3rd from the outer pad and 2/3 from the inner. or the other way round 😕 ). I’ve found the inner adjuster can sometimes be stiff and it’s easier to adjust if you have the little torx key to adjust it.

cyclistm
    Free Member

“Learn to adjust them. That’s a critical part of maintaining their efficiency”

+1 – they do need a fair bit of fettling.

thorpie
    Free Member

As above but I also fitted the specific Avid inline cable adjuster too, nice and tight. They are available on their own and sometimes come with the brakes if bought aftermarket, although this seems to be hit and miss.

Trevor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2 questions about BB7s’ is closed to new replies.